Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Will Nokia N82 Kill The K850i?

Author Will Nokia N82 Kill The K850i?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@remirez

I apologise for dropping my standards but a lack of sleep extreme pain and heavy Opiate meds all take their toll, normal service will hopefully be resumed shortly.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 10:22 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:28

On 2007-11-16 10:59:35, Dogmann wrote:
.....But really who really needs 3 days battery life?

Oh c'mon now Marc. Thats like saying why waste space on a large petrol tank when there is a petrol station every quarter of a mile.

By by that token, the millions of pounds spent on developing better, longer lasting batteries for mobile devices is simply money down the drain.

Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:34
sorry Goldenface I disagree stopping and filling up a car takes a lot more effort and time, a battery can simply be recharged overnight by plugging it in! I put my phone on charge every night regardless of its position but I don't stop at every petrol station!

It is a valid question! although the longer a battery lasts may be a bonus at times and is a valid and welcomed development, but as Marc says Who actually needs a battery to last 3 days?

I don't! do you?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:37
@goldenface

Of course we all want more power and the fact my E61 didn't run out of battery ever still didn't stop me charging it last thing at night as long as a battery lasts a day with medium to heavy usage really that's enough. If I'm in a car and use Sat Nav i use a in car charger even with out Sat Nav running i may well top up the battery but i stand by what i said who really needs 3 days battery life?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 10:38 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:51

On 2007-11-16 11:37:45, Dogmann wrote:
who really needs 3 days battery life?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-16 10:38 ]

more people than you can imagine.
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:53

more people than you can imagine.

Wow! what an insight!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 11:55
@Nanu

Well that of course depends on how you use your mobile. People who are out on the road and using the phones a lot would like to have longer talk-times. People use their devices with varying intensity.

Again I ask, is it a waste of time for companies to strive for longer lasting batteries, especially with all this new technology being packed into phones.

@Dogmann

You ask who needs a longer lasting battery but you could say the same about any technology. Who needs category 10 HSDPA? Who needs VGA screens? Who needs more megapixels?

The battery the fundamental part of the device as without it nothing works. I don't think we should disregard how good the standby time a device has and I think cell technology should be improved just like any other technology.

BTW, isn't the N82 great?

Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-16 12:06
@ Goldenface, this is true mate and I agree that they should continue to develop batteries to last longer, but even those out on the road all day using the phone none stop still sleep! at which time they will be able to recharge the phone!

The only phone I have used in recent times that hasn't lasted a full day of my usage is the N95, and Nokia have addressed this in the new N95 which will be welcomed by many, but I was still able to charge the phone overnight, which is Marc's point!

Who can't recharge the phones battery whilst they are charging their own who needs a battery to last 3 days as the average human would struggle to last 3 days without charging theirs!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 12:11
I personally think battery life is not so much in the hands of phone manufacturers but more in the hands of scientists since mobile manufacturers are dependant on research and development to come up with improved technologies for powering mobile devices, and sadly, this is one area that is not developing as fast as the rest of the mobile device.

Sure, Nokia can put a larger battery in the new N95 8GB, and SE can put larger capacity batteries in their next gen too, but that will also not be enough for some people. Battery technology is really being stretched to its limits by advancement of multi function devices.

While I personally am happy if a battery lasts me the full day because I always connect to a charger at home at night, the time has really come for device power to develop to the point where, for the benefit of our lifestyles and usage, we can go for weeks without being concerned about charging.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 12:16
@Nanu

I think my point is that the vast majority of users probably don't need 3 days of battery life but that isn't to say there aren't some users who are in certain situations where 3 day battery life would be an advantage.

Plus I've lost count of the amount of times I have come home drunk as skunk and forgot to plug the charger in.

A long battery life is still a selling point for any device.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-11-16 11:28 ]
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 13:12
N82 looks very nice indeed, but K850i prices are allready tumbling like a stone making it look more attractive by the day.
BTW N82 is nowhere near the shops, despite what Nokia's hype suggested, estimates i get are a Q1 2008 for ready availability.
MJB
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 13:15
i got the k850i 2 weeks ago. I'll be getting my 2 replacement tomorrow. It's a good phone but the software is too buggy and the phone can be very slow at times. SE should have made it a UIQ non-touchscreen smartphone like the motorola z8. Alot of sony ericsson's new phone have problems lately like the W910 on the orange network. I think se are where Nokia were a few years back. They're trying to flood the market with similar phones but are paying less attention to the phones stability. Come on SE, fix up! I'm gonna wait for the N82 i think.
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 13:45
i am happy with a battery that lasts me 3 days, but still, i am used to a full day battery life, as long as it lives up to my usage, i won't mind having a battery which only lasts me one full day
I capturing sexy women on the beach
I

This message was posted from an iphone
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 16:33
Even though your battery charge may last a fortnight or two, there is benefit from charging as often as possible.
Read more here. The article talks specifically about the N95 but is valid for any phone/PDA using Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries. The summary is this: charge your battery whenever you can, if you want to maximize it's lifetime.

[ This Message was edited by: AbuBasim on 2007-11-16 15:34 ]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2007-11-16 16:40
Waait a second, I thought that the more frequently you recharge a battery, the faster it dies out.. or am I mistaken?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi