Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1

Previous  123 456 ... 131415  Next
Author Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 21:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Is that Black 1.4 theme completely black everywhere in the menu? Because that will explain everything. You may try a completely white theme and compare the phone's speed.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.-George Bernard Shaw
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 22:15
Hi icaka

I have just found my new Favourite theme and yes it's the Black 1.4 as i have never seem such a nice really deep dark black theme that actually works so well. I don't have a white theme and would never consider using one to be honest.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-18 21:16 ]
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 22:41
Yeah, I know. But an image file occupies less memory and decoding is faster if it has similar or the same colours all over it. So completely black or *completely anything* is fasted decoded, processed or occupies less memory. Thats why the theme is faster, because it consists of similar internal images to decode.(completely black in the case)

So I was wondering if it will be the same with white too. It should be. No need to do the test.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.-George Bernard Shaw
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-19 00:05
I must say I really am impressed by Nokia's forward thinking. It has come with great appreciation that they have created a sync untility so to speak similar to the PC version for us Mac users. It works like a charm it will transcode the movies for you and music (even to aac and many other things the pc version was capable of doing.

One thing and I am sure Nokia will be the first out of the camp with is for us to update our devices on a Mac, and should they manage to pull this off then I am sold 100% right know I am at 99%.

I loved my phone but that was just asthetics and a conversation starter the N95-8Gb is a serious powerhouse.
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 00:07
Just a quick one Dogmann. Could you explain more about 'demand paging' (or point me to the link if you already have in another post). i'm curious to know how it improves battery life? is it a Nokia only application/program? & is it only implemented in smartphones? Cheers

@themarques (& anyone else)

Could you expand on this Nokia-to-Mac sync utility you speak of? Is this new to N95 8GB? an application you've added yourself? or is this feature/support being rolled out accross the newer Nokia ranges? Being a Mac user myself i'm really eager to hear more about this & Nokia's possible venture into a higher level of support for Mac users.
Ridahz
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 04:20
Hmmm really considering this phone...

Is there really any diff between this and N95 apart from the obvious?

Looking at a N95 or N95 8GB now
Ridahz Feedback +29 -0
Titanium Trader
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 04:34

On 2007-11-20 00:07:55, Alpha Trion wrote:

Could you expand on this Nokia-to-Mac sync utility you speak of? Is this new to N95 8GB? an application you've added yourself? or is this feature/support being rolled out accross the newer Nokia ranges? Being a Mac user myself i'm really eager to hear more about this & Nokia's possible venture into a higher level of support for Mac users.

I Wouldn't say its a feature for the N95-8Gb as I did see it there not to long back. I believe it supports most of the E and N series devices. Though it doesn't show the N95-8Gb as been supported I can rest assure it is.

http://europe.nokia.com/A4423135

It recently was updated to work on Leopard so thats all working fine. I will point out that you will need a script to enable the mac to recognize the -8Gb version but there are plenty of scripts around the net if you google it.

Regarding demand paging, it pretty much best described as a content manager, in that it will pretty much have the application you require in sleep mode until you require it then upon request it wakes from sleep and puts the other apps to sleep (so to speak) This obviously means that there is less cpu activity in trying to keep 3 or 4 apps open at the same time meaning that the battery should in theory last you just that bit longer.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 07:10
Did any of you guys know that the N95-8GB is running a slower CPU than normal N95? N95-8GB running a 292mhz processor whilest normal N95 running 334mhz,check the JBenchmark site
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 07:49
just thought id give a quick comment/s on the n95 8gb.....

The firmware needs an update, no question. Whilst the phone was still useable, interchanges between apps/screens are not smooth at all. Kinda hard to explain what i mean, some apps take long to open and the music player cant be 'closed' as such. Where you click option, and then look for 'exit' so that the app fully closes, this isnt listed in the music player option, so the music player is constantly 'open' for no reason. It doesnt use much ram, but just thought id point out that that needs a little fix. The normal n95 when it came out, i got about 2 weeks after, ran smoother than this did when released.

Build quality. Slider is much better than n95, only time its a little wonky is when the slider is closed and you move the slider, it moves side to side.....

more in a bit
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 07:58
@ >500
the reason for N95-8GB being slower is because of the smaller 292mhz CPU. The Music Player thing as far as i know is intentional, the N91-8GB, and N73-ME music players also stay on.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 08:26
@gucci
its not so much slower as such, well with some apps yes it is. But that difference in cpu speed wouldnt make a HUGE difference, especially with the added ram now.

more on the build quality, as i said, when its closed (the slider) you can sorta move it side to side, not a lot, but i didnt expect it to do it at all. And 2 dpad buttons and couple number keys are creaky/loose....

i guess i got rid of it as i prefer the size of the k850, which i will get another soon.

still a great phone apart from them things. Dogmann has outlined many of the positives i would have mentioned..........

mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 10:06

On 2007-11-20 04:34:57, themarques wrote:

Regarding demand paging, it pretty much best described as a content manager, in that it will pretty much have the application you require in sleep mode until you require it then upon request it wakes from sleep and puts the other apps to sleep (so to speak) This obviously means that there is less cpu activity in trying to keep 3 or 4 apps open at the same time meaning that the battery should in theory last you just that bit longer.

I thought demand paging is related to loading of program into RAM. i.e. only the part of program that is executing is loaded into RAM instead of loading the entire program into RAM which requires more disk access.

Demand paging only makes difference for BIG program like web-browser or video player.
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 11:39
@mib1800 & themarques.

Cheers guys for both your explanations thats more or less cleared it up for me. This demand paging sounds very useful & quite innovative but one last question. Is this purely a Nokia initiative? or can we expect to see demand paging (or versions of it) in other smartphones? (SE, Motorola etc)

Thanks
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 13:03
@GUCCI.011

Sorry but that information is wrong, i know there have been some JB Benchmarks on the Net and i don't know why but they have incorrect results. The N95 8GB uses the same OAMP 2340 running @332MHZ as is definitely not running slower than the original. The 292mhz chip as found in some Nokia smart phones is a different chip entirely.

@>500

Yes that is a problem with the Music player re closing it but as their is so much Ram and leaving it running resolves the slow opening issue it is not a problem IMO. Also that is why Handy Taskman is so good as you get the option to kill stubborn apps that don't wish to close.

@all

Since i have reformatted the Mass memory and managed to clean it for the first time i saw 7.66gb free which was nice. Also since then and leaving the Music Player in the background i am pleased to say it now runs much quicker and smooth as does the Multimedia menu. Although i have now rearranged this so it opens with the Music Player then Gallery and then Internet and that is all i am using it for, i still prefer the original Carousel although am getting used to this one now. In fact since reformatting and moving to the Black 1.4 theme previously posted my device has become much faster and stable now just waiting for new firmware to be able to debrand the last traces of VodaFone from this device. Which according to some reports is any time now.

I have also now installed Tom Tom 6 which i am using with my Holox BT-321 GPS receiver and it works beautifully as it has always done on my S60 devices.

Alpha Trion

My understanding of Demand paging is a combination of what both Mib1800 & The Marques has said i will try and find a link that describes it in greater detail for you.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-12-10 16:28 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-11-20 13:17
here is a page on symbian.com describing demand paging fairly well

its pretty much what it says on the box. pages (whose size is generally determined by the architecture) of data or program code is only loaded into memory when it is actually needed rather than loadnig a whole program at once.

This is usually a feature of operating systems that support virtual memory as it allows for programs that are larger than the physical memory of the device.

Some operating system also try to predict what pages will be neeed next for further performance enhancements.

anyway, have a read on that link as it seems like a good read though I'm not sure exactly how much this saves on battery life in devices without power guzzling hard drives. I guess it will have some impact as clearly the device has less work to do to make the program available for execution and any battery saving is useful in the end
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic