Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1

123 ... 131415  Next
Author Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 13:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

Well my N95 8GB arrived early afternoon yesterday so after letting it charge to full i started to set it up. First impressions are the build quality is excellent the slider is really firm if not a little stiff right now, it feels really good in the hand and there is nothing lose squeaking or rattling. The screen is even better than on the original and it seems really fast to.

Here are the obligatory unboxing pictures.

As i am already a Nokia S60 user i uninstalled my previous PC Suite as that was for the E Series and the N Series now has it it's own.

After it was installed i proceeded to sync the last two years worth of Calendar entries and all my contacts. Once this was complete i proceeded to install my apps

Handy Taskman
Handy Clock
Screenshot
Windows Live Messenger ( as with this VodaFone version it was not in downloads )
Fring

and sent my YAHOO Mail account settings to the phone via the Nokia configurator. I then quickly set up my WiFi and i then proceeded to sync all my e-mail messages to both accounts. I then proceeded to copy my Documents, Pictures and Video's to the device.

As the new N Series PC Suite includes a Nokia N series video converter and has an optimised output for your device i decide to try it. This was a major disappointment as not only was conversion quite slow but it resulted in nearly double the size files. Also it had the effect of causing my computer to freeze and require a re start. I am not impressed and will not be using it again.

I deleted the files i had converted both of them and then put the device in Mass storage mode and just dragged and dropped all my Films and Video's which was much quicker. As my files where previously converted for my iPod they are already in H.264 320x240 and look great on the N95's screen.

So far in using the device the OS is both fast and responsive and has most of the time after using Handy Taskman over 82mb free Ram. I haven't as yet decided if this replace my iPod for my Music or not. But here are a few more pictures including one in the PDAir case which is why the lack of Lens cover is not an issue for me. Will test the Camera shortly when i take the dog for his run.

Here is a screen shot just look at all that free RAM.

Marc

Edited to add additional pictures of rear of the N95 8GB and SU-8W bluetooth keyboard.

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-12-13 22:02 ]
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 13:41
Great first review post, Marc!

Glad you're happy with it so far...although Otis doesn't seem so impressed, by the looks of him in your first picture!

Look forward to hearing more from you(while I try to obtain an N82 for myself, will be fun)...hope it serves you well!

Mik
p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 13:42
Very nicely put touch Dogmann
it certainley does look nice, is the keypad the same as the Silver N95

did it come with the pouch ?

I found a black pouch in the box for my E65 too are Nokia getting soft or what lmao

Didn't you have a nice Vodafone theme on it
is there a logo on the back battery cover as usual?

Ps, cute Dog, I don't think i'd personally let him get by myphone though had to close the door yesterday when I charged myphone up otherwise the cat would of had it
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 14:19
@ Dogmann
Great review,phone looks realy good! lol i see you have already used 4GB out of that 8GB already!
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Gunnut
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-14 14:33
exccellent pics!

how much did that phone cost?
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-14 14:37
Nice Review Marc.

Put this topic in the review section please Mods.

Cheers

Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 14:49
Nice one Dogmann, looking forward to seeing/hearing about the rest of your views & initial thoughts.
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-14 20:07
congrat my friend happy for for, but i guess, no n series fone can give the same "feeling" as the e series guess e61 is still closer to your heart
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
babianfarthez
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 20:38
So have you already de-branded it?
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 21:20
i noticed that the n95 8gig tv ad showed it playing the spider man 3 movie,so did yours come with the spider man 3 movie?
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 21:54
Hi all,

Pictures added to show the back of the phone and the only Voda branding on it, i can't debrand the phone yet but as soon as they release new firmware it will be done.

Further thoughts on the phone, the keys actually feel much nicer on the new version very tactile although i now have the Bluetooth keyboard for serious Data input the keys are more than usable for most things.

Although the keys on the front of the device are smaller in area i am having no problems using it at all. I really don't like the new Multimedia menu at all especially as one is dedicated to VodaFone Live, i definitely prefer the original horseshoe arrangement on the original N95. But with 7 Active standby shortcuts on Home screen, plus two configurable keys for two more shortcuts at the bottom of the screen. Then on the right side of the phone you have volume keys a second key that takes you to the Gallery and the Camera activation key. You also now have a new app on the Home screen the Nokia Internet and Local search app, also the Calendar and WiFi scanning app. Well that's 16 shortcuts already and we still have the what's known as the yin yang key that takes to your folders with a short press or either the inbuilt Task manger or a installed Task manager making no less than 18, leaving just the Multimedia key with a short press it takes you to the now horrible Carousel shortcuts or with a long press straight into the Music Player making 20 shortcuts all available from the front screen of the phone. There is no lack of customisation of most of these shortcuts which should make it perfect for even the most demanding of users. Also on the left side of the phone you have the 3.5m jack just below the left side speaker their is also a speaker on the right side for a full stereo sound. Which although some have said they feel is quieter than the original this is not my conclusion so far.

I have just started converting my Music with the Nokia Music manager and the next thing i am planning on doing is comparing the sound to my iPod to see if if it can replace it or not. Also i have yet to test the Camera but will use it to take pictures of my for sale E61 so pictures will be available in that thread. Although i am not expecting it to be any different to the original but you never know.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-14 20:59 ]
zirkie101
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 21:58
Droolicious!!!
It's REAl shitty when shits hits the fan
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-11-14 21:59
Cheers mate. How you been. Looks like I am heading smaller as well. I am looking to sell my 3 month old, in perfect condition, E90 (shameless plug). I am going after the N81 or N82. Looks like SE music phones are going to be dead in the water.

Read on: http://www.allaboutsymbian.co[....]t_2-Listening_To_The_Music.php
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 02:53
Hi all,

Well i converted 7 of my current most listened to Albums to run a comparison with the sound i get from the Ipod. It is really hard to notice any difference but obviously running a blind test by myself isn't really possible. All i can say is that i am now seriously considering selling the Ipod and Vaja case even though i know i will make a loss i really can't see the point in having two devices doing the same thing.

Even the sound through the stereo speakers is good, it's clear with not only good bass but well defined with a full sound stage. So far i really am enjoying this device but really can't wait to get rid of some of these stupid VodaFone specific bits and pieces and return it to how it should be.

I have now rearranged the Multimedia menu to Music player, Gallery, Internet and don't really bother with the rest but still prefer the original carousel configuration.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-15 01:53 ]
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-15 03:26
Welcome to the club Dogman, great purchase I am sure you wont be disappointed. I might be going to Streatham Common to get mine flashed @ Kings Mobile as they have the generic (really need voip) so will probably do that tomorrow or Friday.

P.s have you tested out Conversation? its similar to the iphone multiple messaging where it stacks all the sms from one person in one big great message.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic