Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1

Previous  123 45 ... 131415  Next
Author Nokia N95 8gb review by Dogmann Part 1
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 18:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all

OK just a small update on the Music at higher quality after Listening to

Dare by the Gorillaz
The Re-Up by Eminem
Leftism by LeftField
Live in Paradiso by Amy Winehouse
Black Sunday by Cypress Hill

I have now concluded that the increase in bit rate has indeed made a difference to sound quality and it easily a match for the Ipod.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-17 17:57 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 19:20
Thats quite a variety there offcourse i fall under the group who listen to Hiphop and seeing as The Re-Up is still in my top ten list of Albums ive been listening to im going to try covert my music to how you've done yours mine is mostly in mp3 @ 192kbps
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 20:00
Hi GUCCI.011

The reason there is such diversity was to really be ale to push the Music player and see just how good the separation of instruments and whole sound stage is. But even the Re-Up has lots of details that can be lost.

I used to convert using Nokia Media manager but that only has 160kbps AAC which is still better than higher rate Mp3. Now i just use iTunes and dragged the folders to my hard drive @256kbps AAC.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-17 19:24 ]
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 22:09
Hi Dogmann

I want to thank you. Great review, you're very responsive to us.

Well first about your theme: I like it very much as it is black, but it kinda lacks the class of the other theme. I still like it though.

Nice to know you notice the improvement that 256kbps AAC offers over 160kbps AAC. I think you're at the point where you won't notice more detail during outdoor listening. The quality/storage ratio is important these days.

Still, if you want to test the ultimate quality of N95 8gb, WAV listening is the way to do it. I don't push you or anything, as your opinion while listening to 256kbps is quite decisive and thats all I needed. But someday, if you are free, you may try a WAV comparison. I'll share with you my way, as I think its logical and will reveal differences better.

1. I choose one of the devices as a first and one as a second. The first should be the one I think is with better audio quality.

2. I download on the first device 10 selected WAV files of fine music - Nickelback(the ballads)/Sarah McLachlan/BT/James Blunt/Robbie Williams/Shania Twain/Tori Amos should do it very well. Rap/hip-hop/metal and etc. styles won't do the justice because they don't offer so detailed tracks.

3. I listen with the first device to the 10 tracks for some time(lets say 2 weeks) until I get accustomed to the quality and the details I hear.

4. Then I upload the very same tracks to the second device and with the same headphones/IEMs I listen for a short period. I'm looking for a DOWNGRADE in music quality as it is easier to find compared to an UPGRADE.

5. If I find a downgrade, then the first device is better for real. If I don't find a downgrade, I perform the test vice versa. If I don't find a difference, the two devices are very close in terms of sound quality.

The test is useful if you cant hear the difference after 5 minutes of listening with each device. If you find the difference so soon, then there is a big difference in audio quality.

I hope you'll find it useful someday.

Thanks again for the great review!

[ This Message was edited by: icaka on 2007-12-01 09:20 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 22:24
@ Dogmann
Thanx a lot, im also using iTunes but ive never tried different formats except for mp3 and wma. But yes ive just tried AAC 256kbps on the track Tryin' Ta Win by Stat Quo on The Re-Up and it sounds BRILLIANT! im going to convert the rest to the same now.
frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2007-11-17 22:44
hey DOGMAN dont know if it is possible but you couldn't forward me a copy of heroes cold you have been wanting to watch that and the girlfriend in always in charge of the tv if so my email is vwkris@hotmail.co.uk
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-18 14:19
the surface of the cover feels really good imo, black was a very good choice. but as i recall, the general built quality is still so crap as in n95. especially next to the keypad. donnow why didnt changed it nokia, looks cheap as u remove the backplate
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 15:49
Hi Boba,

I really can not agree with what you are saying as my original N95 was fine maybe not brilliant but certainly not bad not by a long way. But then what everyone may expect and find acceptable is different, the new N95 8gb has a better build quality definitely IMO the slider is better and tighter for now anyway, the keyboard feels better as is not covered in silver paint and there are certainly no creaks or rattles. Is it as well built and as solid as my E61 well no is the answer as that has superb build qaulity and many metal parts. I really don't know why the N95 8gb isn't constructed from metal alloys but i am sure Nokia must have a reason, As all my dvcies go into a good quality case how it functions is more important to me then looks and feel although i do think it both looks and feels good even naked.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-18 14:49 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-18 16:14
at the slider point i have to agree with u, its really better, but at the sides nokia should have had a better idea, cos for me its still too weird. btw the keypad is for me still too soft, would have preferd a bit more "hard" kepyad, just as on e61
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 19:06
Can I ask for those transcoding there music to AAC, are you doing this from MP3 to AAC or are you starting from scratch with a CD etc?

The reason for asking is that if you are coming from MP3 and going to AAC you are starting to loose sound quality as I am sure you aware. Also you cant really go from 192Kbps MP3 to 256Kbps AAC.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 19:56
@themarques

My Music all comes from Cd's (don't do downloaded Music anymore) and then converted to 256kbps in iTunes. Then i open the Music Folder on my Computer and open the iTunes folder and just drag and dropped Albums to the mass memory Music Digital folder and copy and paste the Artwork from iTunes itself to my images folder on the mass memory and then attach it to the Album on my N95 job done well it suits me anyway.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-18 18:58 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 20:21
Hi all

Here are some screen shots of some additional Themes i have installed this one is especially for icaka and is called Black 1.4 this must surely be Black enough for you

This next is called Reflection V2b

and finally one called Simbtheme V1 by Trety proudly showing my Symbian support.

More shots of the Themes can be requested if you want to see the different menus and how they look.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-18 19:22 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 20:27
@ Thermaques
From what i remember one of my mp3s in 192kbps was converted to 256kbps on iTunes and sounded good IMO,but il try it again tomorrow.
icaka
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 20:33

On 2007-11-18 20:21:40, Dogmann wrote:
Hi all

Here are some screen shots of some additional Themes i have installed this one is especially for icaka and is called Black 1.4 this must surely be Black enough for you

Yeah thats black enough for me

Nice themes, btw I saw the second one on N82, its very nice
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.-George Bernard Shaw
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-18 21:06
Hi icaka and all,

Well quite an interesting development since installing the Black 1.4 theme the N95 8gb is now even quicker and more responsive then when i was using the MSN Black theme. Will explore further to see if i am right or not, but i have known on other devices that some themes are better for performance and stability.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-18 20:07 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic