Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > NOKIA N82 will kill the iPhone and N95 8gb?

Previous  1234  Next
Author NOKIA N82 will kill the iPhone and N95 8gb?
chuksy
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 23:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There is nothing sexy about this phone...not for me anyway
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 01:51
Well, of course SE fanboys are not going to like it because there's no orange, neon green, pink, lavender or purple glittery sprinkles on it. lolllz

N series is Nokia's high end top of the line brand. This phone oozes class in it's minimalistic design. it's aimed at a sophisticated tech savvy crowd not the "hey-my-phone-is-bright-orange-and-has-the-WALKMAN-brand-yo0!" peeps.

It looks kinda nice and I've been waiting a long time for this type of phone! I'm buying it even if it looks like a pile of steaming turd! And I'm sure a sh*t load of people around the world are too. Can you say 2008's BEST SELLER?!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 03:23
@intelegent115

I really don't see how that's possible it is just 2mm longer otherwise it is identical in size.

@all

Personally i can't wait to get the N95 8GB as it really is a different beast to the original N95 which IMO was a very good Multimedia smart phone anyway.

The larger brighter screen are an improvement and is also better than the N82 and demand paging in the N95 8gb is really the only differences i can see. Of course the N82 has a Xenon flash it is also slightly longer but not quite as wide or deep but weighs 8g less.

IMO neither should be compared to an iPhone as that's a totally different device if not unique.

As for the K850 well this is the first time a Nokia phone will have a Xenon flash the only real advantage SE has had in Camera phones. But i wouldn't say SE have had a good K850 launch not by a long way far to many have been returned and to many seem to have problems.

Remembering the N82 is a full Smart Phone running S60 3rd Edition with all that brings and i doubt it will have as many problems as the K850 and what ever it does have will get firmware much faster. It will be interesting to see how the pictures compare and the same goes for the N95 8GB to.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-12 02:27 ]
kimot01
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 03:34
this phone is a good wake up call for SE!
you can always find one if you know where to look

i myself
SloopJohnB
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 04:57
specs: great!
design: UGLY AS HELL
What was nokia thinking?? The color is bad, the design is ugly, the look is cheap, the keys are too small and the back and the front look like they r from different phones. I really like nokia´s N series but this is just WRONG.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 06:42

On 2007-11-07 22:39:58, intelegent115 wrote:
Ok, i am saying this from my own experience. As i have owned N95, E90 and now iPhone.

Speaking of bulky.. I think that N95 is way more bulky than iphone is. I am a multimedia type of user, that`s why i like big screen. I also like to surf web on bigger screen than on those crapy Nokia ones.

Yes that GPS is very useful, maybe if you like jokes than it sure is. All i am saying that despite iphones leak of features, it still offers far better user experience than all of mentioned phones. I dont care if they put 100TB flash in there and a wish granter, 2,4" ain`t gonna cut it for me.

And one more thing, to a guy that praises N95 8GB. The phone is bulky (as some of esatonians does not like) it has a small screen, it has no touch screen. And those things that N95 has over iphone i do not need/miss.

[ This Message was edited by: intelegent115 on 2007-11-07 21:48 ]

Some points that I disagree on.
GPS - something I personally thought was a joke ... has come a LONG LONG way in smartphones yet still has to evolve in S60/PPC/UIQ devices. Seeing large corporate applications / services and business' beginning to market for the End user on the Blackberry I think its evolving. And I'm not talking about Turn by Turn apps like TeleNav.

Now - we all know that Apple's iPhone, even up against the N95, won best user experience surveys in the thousands. However lets be careful NOT to mix "better user experience" than "a Better Experience for the user" or better features for "an experienced user". For the average user .. typing text messaging NOT picking quick templates - physical keys wins hands down. Dialup a NEW phone number from standby .. faster. And lets not get to running multiple applications - even 3rd party - that if a problem happens where resources/memory allocation occurs a physical button can kill it - I will NOT rely on slowing OS to kill all running applications that have already slowed down software. Have you thought of this yet? I know u have not fully experienced this to any magnitude but after the SDK gets released and more apps get coded you'll see.

All these ppl on the TOUCH SCREEN bandwagen NEVER had such feelings before the iPhone. NOT EVER! Since the iPhone made it "fashionable" even HTC is dedicating phones with barely any keys and making touch screens (Samsung, etc). Too many don't realize that displays get smudge with normal use, brightness falls (iPhone & HTC Touch exception), Speed and responsiveness falls as well. Sorry I'll pass until I see HEAVY consumer and corporate applications run SMOOTH, Fast & Efficiently - and offers MORE features than just accessing a Coffee shops music list, push email (but not work email), and lapse security to protect my data within EACH field (on a corporate or user level).

Increasingly users have their personal data (beyone phone numbers or a black-book), and sensitive information of appointments, medical history, etc on their mobile companions (no longer just phones). The N82 offers the near perfect balance between media features in a small package and the ability to run efficient and fast corporate & personal applications to the END user.

Bring on the N82 - but if its missing HSDPA/HSPA for North America then Nokia can KEEP it! I'll shop elsewhere.

PS. One doesn't miss features they personally haven't tried and learned to use to their advantage; until its taken away.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Gunnut
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 07:48
Its a great phone in my opinion. A bit costly though, something of more than $6000 HKD, thats more than US$771.

I just can't understand why the US HAVE to use a different band than everyone else. They could have cleared up the spectrum for use. Basically this means that they're not gonna get 3G compatible phones until Asia gets 4G rolling across the continent.
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 08:34

On 2007-11-12 07:48:32, Gunnut wrote:
Its a great phone in my opinion. A bit costly though, something of more than $6000 HKD, thats more than US$771.

I just can't understand why the US HAVE to use a different band than everyone else. They could have cleared up the spectrum for use. Basically this means that they're not gonna get 3G compatible phones until Asia gets 4G rolling across the continent.

No they could NOT just simply "clear up bandwidth".

Many factors are involved:

1) Publicly accessible wireless spectrum is LICENSED OUT by that regions governing body ... FCC in the USA, CRTC in Canada. I'm not sure what it is for Mexico and South America. Due to close proximities and war pacts, like Nato or Norad ... Military uses some spectrum that GSM networks originally used.

ie. 800Mhz on an AMPS network took some time to move aside for CDMA (analog) and then also for CDMA 800/1900Mhz.
ie. 2100Mhz was strictly for Air Traffice Control and Military thus no GSM/GPRS/3G and future licensing could be used.

2) Lanscape makeup is also a factor along with magnetic interference in competition for existing wireless spectrum licenses in use.
ie. IN Europe the 900Mhz band is more efficient for longer range, especially in rural areas. In North & South America our 850Mhz band is more efficient (remember its not precisely on " 850Mhz " but a range give or take 20-30mhz range which includes what is commonly referenced to: ie 850Mhz).

3) Lastly is the strange predicament that TMobile-USA is in that fits your initial simplistic approach. They JUST NEEDED spectrum ... but since financing from Tmobile Europe/Germany waited so long for 3G licensing, AT&T / Cingular purchased practically ALL spectrum being licensed for GSM while Sprint/Nextel/Verizon took up the lions share for CDMA netwoks; Tmbile USA was left to NOTHING in the now traditional N/S. American 3G networks (850/1900Mhz).

Just a brief estimatation but its enough that if you REALLY wanna dig for it most of it is right.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 08:43
Thats really really ugly.
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 14:15
@Dextrr

love your comments, come on mate looks like its you & me versus the world on this one!!!
Alfaro
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 14:51
that's pretty ugly... but doesn't stop me of wanting one...

i so happy with my k850... don't need anything else (so far)
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 15:29

On 2007-11-12 01:51:00, Dextrr wrote:
Well, of course SE fanboys are not going to like it because there's no orange, neon green, pink, lavender or purple glittery sprinkles on it. lolllz

N series is Nokia's high end top of the line brand. This phone oozes class in it's minimalistic design. it's aimed at a sophisticated tech savvy crowd not the "hey-my-phone-is-bright-orange-and-has-the-WALKMAN-brand-yo0!" peeps.

It looks kinda nice and I've been waiting a long time for this type of phone! I'm buying it even if it looks like a pile of steaming turd! And I'm sure a sh*t load of people around the world are too. Can you say 2008's BEST SELLER?!

very well said!
technical-expert
W595 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 15:48
It doesnt look ugly, and people should not confirm wheather the phone is ugly based on spy pictures

heres a more clearer live pic, i think this looks better than those seen before

and also when the phone is released it may be even more good looking than this , and when u actually check it out in real life Live it may look even better, because some phones look good in real, than in pic.may be beautiful than the k85oi
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-12 15:55
i dont like the keypad at all.
Ranjith
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 16:07
not a great design....but pretty fine....
btw how big is it compared to n95?

I ESATO
I W1i

T20,T65, P800(2x),K800,Z300, 800, 850 (2x),P1i(with WALKMAN)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi