Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > The O2 iPhone discussion thread

Previous  123 456 ... 151617  Next
Author The O2 iPhone discussion thread
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-11-10 22:03:42, fatreg wrote:

On 2007-11-10 21:35:02, Mr Miyagi wrote:

On 2007-11-10 21:27:51, ayejatt wrote:
so you can go into CPW or apple store and buy an iphone without signing up to the 18-month contract on the spot?

you only sign up to the o2 contract, when you are going through the activation process to activate your handset via itunes.

this confuses me effing greatly..

So I buy the phone, it's not on contract.. therefore MY property... So does that mean O2 have to unlock it? or have ofcom/O2 said anything yet?

this takes me back, you cannot buy a non contract phone and it be locked to a network, the law doesn't allow it..

Where do us non-O2 users stand?

If you buy the handset, yes it is your property. However the way O2 see's it, is that if you for some reason fail the credit check, then you have the option to take the handset back to point of sale and obtain full refund. If you decide to keep the handset and not go through activation process in order to activate the handset the official way, as in (o2's way) then there is no mention of O2 having to unlock the handset that you purchased. If they are made to unlock it, then the unlock charge has not been confirmed by O2, since right now, they as far as i know, not though about that option. But when they do, i am sure it will be a high price to unlock the handset.
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:49
Why do you want a UK one instead of a US one, they are the same?

Only differnece is FW, so you can do a lot more with the US one as it can be both Jailbroken and Hactivated.

If you get a UK one it has 1.12 and will be stuck with NO 3rd party utils and have to take an 18month guff contract from O2. Spending ~£1500 in the process.

Good luck With That.

I'll stick to my fully unlocked, and activated US version, with everything I need, and loads of 3rd party utils.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
A L 3 X
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 22:49
I had a little play with the iPhone today in CPW when i was about to buy a k850i till i was told it was out of stock

It really tempted me although im already a few months into a t-mob contract and I dont think theres any way to unlock the Uk one or such......the UI was quite simple considering i've never even read an iphone review before nevermind playing with one....and the cam seemed good for a 2MP
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-10 23:18
as long as you've got a pac Miss C you can port it back...

you might be able to get a pac already from tmob and they supply you with a new phone number......

Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:04
Regardless of what you think of the I-phone, the sales speak for themselves.

Yesterday when the phone was released there were queues in most stores selling it.

Today, the day after the phone was released, there were no Queues. Most stores today sold in the regions of 10-20 I-phones, and nowhere is even sold out yet. And lets not forget that today is saturday, when shops are a lot lot busier then on a friday.

I-phone = I-flunk in the UK.

And for my earlier posts about apple, I did only metion the I-pod and I-phone, not macs.

I have use a G5 with Pro tools for my minor in music and absolutely loved the software. For buisnesses and workstations they are very good, however for home use I would much rather stick to a PC for its games and upgradablitity. And PC's are just as easy to use as macs and nowhere near as complicated as the Mac commercials makes them out to be.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-11-10 23:05 ]
haynesycop
Z800
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:15
Excellent i'll do that then and hopefully i can downgrade the tariff to a silly amount too! I think the problem is just the whole network situation if it was unlocked and sold on more than one network through CPW for example it would be more of a hit. I'd bet money on it.
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:17
Where are you getting these 10-20 sales per store figures from? I've only seen official figures for Germany from T-mobile who say they sold in excess of 10,000 iPhones on Friday.

As the iPhone was available from 1300 outlets in the UK, your figure of 10-20 iPhones per store equates to between 13,000 and 26,000 iPhones sold in the UK in 24 hours. That sounds pretty good to me - especially considering its high cost, and the fact it didn't even go on sale yesterday until 6.02pm.

The overwhelming comments I overheard in the CPW and O2 stores I went into today was about the cost. That was the only negative point I heard made - nothing about the phone itself...

The reason the iPhone (not "I-phone" - at least try to get the name right!) hasn't sold out is because Apple made sure there was enough stock.
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:29
just thinking, if you were lucky enough to get an unlock code from o2 for this, would it by pass the activation process?
OBEY GAINT
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:42
there will be a way of doing it Super..

It's just not known yet...

but the whole small claims court seems very appealing atm...
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:50
I went into my local CPW thsi morning about an upgrade (not iPhone related), the guy told me that his shop opened early this morning but there were no customers until after normal opening time. No queues there.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Nanu
Sony CMD MZ5
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:51
Once you've got your iPhone, the next thing to do is activate it. This couldn't be simpler. All you have to do is enter into an 18 month minimum term Pay Monthly contract with O2 on one of our exclusive iPhone tariffs. These start at just £35 a month.

What I don't get after reading the above (bearing in mind I'm tired and have had a bottle of mulled wine) is "once" I have bought the iPhone all I have to do is enter an 18 month contract!

So therefore I am not agreeing to anything nor signing anything to buy the phone, yet if I want to use it I have to enter the contract?!

So I go to Fords and get me a new focus outright with funds from the bank, after buying it I notice I need fuel, but here's the catch I have to sign a contract with BP to purchase the fuel from them!

Eh?? go figure? As the Regmeister says small claims courts will be hearing a lot about the iphone!
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:57

On 2007-11-11 00:17:07, JoolsG4 wrote:
Where are you getting these 10-20 sales per store figures from? I've only seen official figures for Germany from T-mobile who say they sold in excess of 10,000 iPhones on Friday.

http://www.whatmobile.net/forumvb/showthread.php?t=24259

Sorry to burst your I-poo fantasy bubble, but theres literally no one anywhere buying one in the UK except for the initial sales to fanboys on friday.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-11-10 23:59 ]
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:58
Well, it does say quiet clearly on the O2 and Apple web-sites, and on the literature in store, the following:

"Only with a new minimum term 18 month Pay Monthly O2 tariff for iPhone"

"iPhone is activated via iTunes on your PC or Mac. All you need to do is install iTunes, plug iPhone into your PC or Mac and you will be taken through the activation process which includes selecting your tariff and syncing your music, contacts, calendar and bookmarks."

I also overheard sales staff in O2 and CPW telling potential customers it costs £270 plus a minimum £35 per month for 18 months.

So, there's not much you could take to the small claims court with regard to not being able to use the phone you bought. It's pretty clear from the outset you have to activate it and sign-up for the 18 month contract.

Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 00:58
Hi all'

Seeing if people can force either Apple or 02 to unlock their property is a whole different topic, conveniently located here

http://www.esato.com/board/vi[....]c=155487&start=180#post2153609

Ignore Daedalus85 last post as there's always one, and read as far back as you feel necessary. I am not well so haven't been out but could well be speaking to Apple, 02 and OFCOM on Monday.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-10 23:59 ]
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:01
http://www.whatmobile.net/forumvb/showthread.php?t=24090

Check out this thread as well - Anyone going to get an iphone? with a poll too.

3 yes
34 no.

Not a lot of people voting I know, but read through the posts on both links and you'll see theres not a lot of people buying the I-phone anywhere.

[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2007-11-11 00:03 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic