Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?

Previous  123 ... 121314  Next
Author iPhone unlocking will 02. Apple and CPW have to?
p900 lover
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 19:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2007-09-21 14:19:08, Dogmann wrote:
Hi all,

Let's clear this up once and for all the £269 price for the iPhone is outright purchase of the device and it is not subsidised once bought and paid for it is yours end of story. No one can tell you what to do with it or make you return it for a refund.

As to putting a PAYG or other 02 Sim card the answer is no you will need a special 02 Sim card specifically for the the iPhone is what i have been told.

Having said that you don't actually need to try and activate it and fail a credit check once it is released you can just request a PAYG special iPhone Sim card and activate the iPhone with that right from the start.

So those that may want an iPhone but don't want an 18 month contract with unlimited Data and WiFi can have a fully functioning iPhone and just use the data part over WiFi with a special 02 PAYG Sim or pay the relevant charges for PAYG data use.

The only new bit of information is not the above as that should now be clear to all once and for all.

It is the fact that 02 are saying they will not supply an unlock code under any circumstances and as far as i am concerned that is illegal in the EU. Quite simply they do not have the legal right to do this and even though i don't even really think i want a iPhone i may well buy one and then get a 02 PAYG special iphone Sim card and then request an unlock code if as they say they won't unlock it for me i will report them to the relevant authorities both here and in the EU and see how this plays out. But the law is the law and i don't see why or how 02 think they are above it or any different.

It will be very interesting to see exactly how 02 will deal with this scenario as just trying to fob me with will have no effect and i really think they are going t be in big trouble on this one.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-21 13:22 ]

Where is this law? I want an iphone and would be willing to take o2 on if this law is the case.
Anyhelp would be welcomed
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 19:55
There are few interesting issues that are going to crop up;

1. Unlocking. Apple claim it's the networks issue, and the network claim it's apple. Classic case of mudding the water.

The technical issue is that the sim lock is located in the baseband radio in a totally standard method. It is a Infineon PMB8876 S-Gold 2 chipset in the modem controlling the baseband, the same as many other brand mobiles out there.

So in this sense the 'lock' is a true network subsidy lock.

BUT the other issue is thats there is also a SIM specific lock, which checks the serial code on the actual sim, this is unusual and non standard. For example, changing the sim out for another 02 iPhone sim,will result in an 'incorrect sim' warning.

To my opinion, this is a issue that reflects directly on the network, as the SIM card is the property of the network.

2. The phone is not actually purchased outright, it's being purchased at a 'gateway' price, a term which means the phone is being made available at a price to allow users to access the device, effectively subsidied.

3. The fact the the credit checking and activation are being done at home via iTunes over the internet, means that distance selling regulations are in effect, and this gives the end user many more rights and protections than buying in store.

David
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 20:29
@floatlite

Where did you gain the information re point 2 as this would mean that we will not be able to get Apple/02 to unlock the iPhones and this is the information i have been waiting for confirmation of before being able to pursue the matter further.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-03 19:30 ]
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-03 21:07
This thread is hillarious
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:13
Hi all,

Sorry not been well so haven't got to an Apple shop or 02 or CPW will try and do it early next week. Besides Superluminova as any one else actually bought one yet?

I need to see what if any terms and conditions exist at point of sale and if indeed you are buying your iPhone outright, then i can call OFCOM but i may need someone else to pursue this if OFCOM ask me if i have bought one yet. Sorry i have no intention of buying one, I'm getting an N95 8GB.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-11 00:22 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:16
I assume it's all in a big ol' Ts and Cs book you get when you buy it.....

someone's got to be able to force O2s hand on this?
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:21
I'll give o2 a call tomorrow and see what they say.

not hoping for much mind you as in the last few weeks they've been hopeless.
OBEY GAINT
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:32
@Superluminova

Will be interesting but i think they will tell you it is Apple that lock them and they can't unlock them, surprisingly enough Apple will tell you it's 02!!.

@Fatreg

I hope their are some T&C's although none is even better but it's what they say that counts as if someone has paid for and owns something , How can they then force you take out a contract and pay a monthly cost to be able to use the product they made and SOLD you. Especially as they have already caved in in France we are part of the EU and i believe it is a EU Law. How come all of a sudden all the Networks Bar 3 had to start selling us unlock codes, I'm pretty sure it wasn't out of the goodness of ther hearts but they had to.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-11 00:33 ]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:37
I know exactly what you mean Marc and I'm totally behind you but I'm just a bit reserved in the fact that neither O2 or Apple can have overlooked the fact that people on other networks are going to want it by hook or by crook?

I'm very interested as to wether or not O2 can be forced to do it, as if it's base band locked, that's a whole lot of programming it unlock it, not a simple code jobby, but I guess only time will tell. I, for one, want an iPhone but am not going anywhere near O2 with it!
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:48
Hi Fatreg,

Well after some one told Super you can unlock 1.1.2 i did some reading and you can on older iPhones upgraded but not one of these new ones that come with this new base band. But it is obviously being worked on but if they can't get through this new Base band only the older iPhones it appears will be unlocked, and of course those in France LOL.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-11 00:48 ]
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 01:58
A member of staff in the O2 shop I went to said the one's in France that are unlocked will only have the French language on them.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-11 02:19
M. Fatreg

faites vous parlez et écrivez le français?

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-11-11 01:30 ]
penx
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 14:13
Has anyone contacted O2 or Ofcom about this yet?
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 14:21
Oui M Doggmann.

Je peux lire et ecrivez le francais mais je n'utile pas un mobile francais dans ma vie...

peut-etre le temps est maintenant?

EN:

Yes Mr Doggmann.

I can read and write french but i have never used a french mobile in my life...

Maybe the time is now?

@ Penx, I called ofcom earlier, who told me that because it was a commercial product I needed to call consumer direct, did that who in turn told me i need to speak to competition commission, who in turn told me I need to speak to otelo (telephone ombudsman), who in turn referred me back to consumer direct..

notice a recurring pattern?

[ This Message was edited by: fatreg on 2007-11-12 13:24 ]
penx
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-11-12 14:31
@ Penx, I called ofcom earlier, who told me that because it was a commercial product I needed to call consumer direct, did that who in turn told me i need to speak to competition commission, who in turn told me I need to speak to otelo (telephone ombudsman), who in turn referred me back to consumer direct..

notice a recurring pattern?

Haha, an all too familiar story. Well, good luck anyway if you're going to follow it up with Consumer Direct again.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 121314  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic