Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > If your P1i plays youtube, etc. pls post details

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author If your P1i plays youtube, etc. pls post details
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 21:12
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mm. Sceptical. I think there's just no altitude for "error" on the abstract connection level at all..

(...allright, that's it. I'm going to flash the phone, wish me luck. )
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 21:29

On 2007-11-02 21:12:32, Nipsen wrote:
Mm. Sceptical. I think there's just no altitude for "error" on the abstract connection level at all..

(...allright, that's it. I'm going to flash the phone, wish me luck. )

Good luck you won't need it, i'm sure
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 23:25
There. And I still have nails left.

Apart from the new wlan- icon.. the phone opens more connections without slowing the phone down, now. So whatever they did, it's.. at least better than before. Seems to me it won't just time out the active connections, either, so this is.. probably very good news? (I seriously wish SE could come up with some official changelog, though..)
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-03 07:22
I'm not educated enough to get into technical stuff regarding WLAN, RTSP and RTP protocols, etc. I know enough to enable/disable the features on the router/modem, or forward required ports, etc. Sorry... didn't study networking.

The issue I'm facing with the media player is this: It accesses the content and starts buffering. After that (it says) it reaches a 100% and stops. Doesn't play the clip. What gives? That leads me to believe that its something inside my version of the media player software and not necessarily a WiFi/protocol issue. (Referring to what pnf1973 mentioned regarding firewalls, my friend's Palm Treo 700p played the same content over the same network and worked. What did it do differently? Has to be something within the device and not the network. That tells me that my network settings are configured correctly.) Maybe a missing codec? Cos I've observed this behaviour on computers as well, where it will begin to stream the clip into memory and then realize that you don't have the required codec installed. Maybe if there's some way to look at the codes in the media player software from someone who has it working and someone who doesn't, maybe a bug can be found.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-03 12:58
I wish.. At least we can test it, and see if we get the same problem. ..What sort of file were you trying to stream?

..btw. I'm pretty sure the next to last firmware has some sort of serious problem with trying to renegotiate the open connections. So it's possible you'd run into problems like this on a network with.. er.. that you will have all these problems on any actual network (that isn't a virtual one, probably). But if you get this all the time, I think SE support would probably be happy to get an e-mail about it (with the links to the file and so on).

..Could you test the same file on a wap- connection?
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-04 04:06

On 2007-11-03 12:58:48, Nipsen wrote:
I wish.. At least we can test it, and see if we get the same problem. ..What sort of file were you trying to stream?

..Could you test the same file on a wap- connection?

I don't have WAP, I'm not shelling out another #30 a month for super slow data on a phone. I hope phone companies eventually get that. But anyway, so I can't test on WAP. I did send out emails and correspond with tech support, however, the eventual answer that came out was they were trying to work on it too, but these are 3rd party sites, and hence SE can't guarantee that the product will work with 3rd party content. (How stupid!!!)

So as they hopefully are working on figuring out the problem, its upto users to find a solution. For some, the issue might be a router/network problem. For others, let's not rule out the possibility that it could be a problem with the phone.

I'm personally going to hold off updating the phone for two reasons, firstly I have to convert the phone to GW1, and secondly, the update doesn't fix much except for a little speed improvement. The green tint camera issue is still not fixed. Another post mentioned that even after the update, the GW1 firmware can't play youtube material. I'll wait. If SE doesn't take their products seriously, then I'm out eventually.

I simply hate the fact that consumers let companies get away with releasing faulty hardware that's not been properly tested, and are not all functioning as they should. And also release stuff with incomplete software/OS like UIQ3. They eventually get you into a habit of paying for updates to even basic functions that should've been there in the first place.

But anyway, let's keep this post on topic. Youtube over WLAN - not working!

BenjiJK§
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-04 05:20
..as much as I agree with you (even though I managed to get it working on my setup for m.youtube clips, and other streaming content, after fiddling a bit with the settings. And haven't had the connection kills I had on the previous firmware) - in some ways we just have to compromise on this. The software is much more difficult now than it used to be, so a larger amount of problems with that part of the mobile device is more or less inevitable. So some sort of fixing along the way is always going to be necessary.

Of course - when this wasn't ironed out after an uiq3 device with wlan had been on the market for over a year.. Still, we have to accept that with more complex software, there will be problems to solve along the way. So I think what we're looking for is a way to improve SE's customer relations and overall strategy when it comes to addressing various problems with their devices. And I mean - suggesting that any content not directly under SE's web- domain is provided by a third party, and so SE cannot guarantee the service works, that is not an acceptable excuse when the issue is a problem with a documented protocol implementation they're supposed to support. And the responses are apparently designed to deliberately piss the customers off, so some serious rethinking obviously needs to take place.

But it's probably important to keep in mind that this does not really take away the fact that some updates are inevitable, and that a unit will not be perfect when it is released. And that what we're lacking in this, are useful ways to communicate with SE. (Like where to direct bug- reports, how, to who and in what format. As well as what sort of fixes will be considered probable. What sort of service should be expected on different channels, on phone support or elsewhere, etc. And SE obviously is not very good at any of these things.)
nelshh
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-04 11:56

On 2007-11-02 23:25:50, Nipsen wrote:

(I seriously wish SE could come up with some official changelog, though..)

They never will, they don't want an officially released summary of what was wrong with the phone when people bought it
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-04 14:29
lol.

..but that's easy to fix. Instead of saying "logical error that broke the program- functionality on several different points" - you say "optimisation of core components". ..Seriously, though - what we need is a changelog of what appears to us on the user- end, not a list of all the technical changes. Right?
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-04 20:32

But anyway, let's keep this post on topic. Youtube over WLAN - not working!

BenjiJK§

I know this is frustrating, but after years of dealing with rubbish like this I myself am not surprised in the least. The issue with Youtube is simply one of software - of that there is no doubt - with both the media viewer app and with the WLAN layer on the phone itself. Simply pointing to another - non related - device and saying that works why doesn't mine is pointless. I long gave up wondering why computers, networks and the internet simply DO NOT WORK in a logical fashion most of the time. What works on one OS and one set of hardware simply does not work the same on another. I have seen this time and time again.

You simply have to keep trying various combinations of settings and hardware until you get to one that works. Seeing as you are still having a problem my first port of call would be to try a completely OPEN connection - no firewall, no encryption, no nothing and see if that works. It was only by setting up and IP address which was allowed ALL inbound connections and traffic and then using this for my P1 that I actually got ANYTHING to play from youtube, or indeed any content that required streaming via the Media Viewer app. Even IF you manage to get to this point you will undoubtly then get the problem of the stream stopping for no reason and the app simply exiting. This especially true on longer streaming audio, such as those from the BBC website.

Then there is the quality of the video you then get from the media viewer, the videos I have managed to stream from Youtube are, in a word, rubbish - worse than the lowest level of video recording for a MMS clip IMO. Its really not worth the worry or the trouble if I'm honest. YES is should work, NO i know it doesn't, I also know it doesn't work for any really good reason but for what you actually get I really REALLY wouldn't bother.

Nipsen and myself have discussed this problem at GREAT length, neither of us - even with the obviously huge level of experience from both sides - can come up with a sensible reason for the issue.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-04 22:52
Hey! I'm a professional guesser, and don't you dare suggest anything else.
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-04 23:36
Hi
Anyone already managed to stream from m.youtube.com?
I've setup an ad-hoc connection (no router) with my PC and although the globe flashes a lot like if it was downloading, in the end nothing happens.
Was it supposed to work?
By the way, tinytube videos don't stream either.
The P1 player is useless...
petrutms
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2007-11-04 23:38
forget it. no uiq 3 phone will play youtube, m.youtube.com or any other tube. i`ve tried via wifi, 3g, bluetooth, anything. no luck. it sucks.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-05 00:08
Well, my P990 plays perfectly all videos from m.youtube.com on 3G.
Never had problem with it. It's like 5 sec. buffering and here we go.
denosha
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-05 03:00
Seems that a lot of people don't believe that the P1i DOES play vids off mobile YouTube over a WLAN connection. I have no idea why it works for some and doesn't for others but it definitely works for me. I just took this vid to prove it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d2p2M_csjBQ
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi