Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > If your P1i plays youtube, etc. pls post details

Author If your P1i plays youtube, etc. pls post details
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 05:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I haven't been able to get my p1i to play any streaming media via WiFi/WLAN. If yours works, please specify what firmware version yours is running, generic world 1, 2, etc. Mine turns out to be a French firmware version. I have a feeling that it might be related to firmware versions, or there might be something missing in the different versions. Please help find a way to narrow it down.

Thanks

BenjiJK§
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 09:42
If you are having difficulties with youtube please see the following thread

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=156870&start=16

where it was discussed at length. Its primarily a firewall problem, I found I could not open youtube video from wlan but could over 3g.

Its not a firmware issue.
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 10:51
I've browsed TinyTube for several hours using my home wifi connection, and although it doesn't stream the movies, it downloads them (I always choose the Hi resolution).
It works great because Opera handles the downloads on background while you keep brownsing, and interrupts asking if you want to see the movie when they finish downloading.

Please Note:
Opea doesn't delete the files from the disk when you ask it to delete. You must use a file explorer to delete them from the Movies folder.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 12:03
Another thing.. if the page you're streaming from uses redirects, you need to have the media- player opened in the background if you want to capture the links.
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 12:29
Well the reason I started this post is cos I've tried most of the options posted on the other thread and none have worked. I don't have firewalls, tried forwarding rtp and rtsp ports, none worked. I'm sure there are other users in the same boat. Hence the reason now to see if certain regional firmware p1's work better than others.

If it was simply a network/router/firewall issue then why does my phone not work on any network? I've tried many access points at public places like starbucks and friends places also using routers with no firewalls. What are the chances that the phone doesn't play streaming media on any of these networks? Also why is it that some phones work out the box while others don't no matter what settings you modify? There has to be some reason inherent in the phone.

(everyone also pls keep in mind that I'm referring to playing streaming video over WLAN and not your data plans, 3G or UMTS.)

Thanks

BenjiJK§
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 12:49
Its simply because nearly all wlan routers have a built in firewall, and if the wlan access point doesn't its because the adsl/internet router does.

If you can access and stream youtube over 3g then your p1 is fine. It is simply a configuration problem somewhere in your wlan connection.

No publicly available wlan will run without a firewall, i'm afraid, and the mobile youtube setup is such that it requires a high number of open ports to work. As a result it simply fails if you have any kind of firewall on the connection.

Opera and the Media viewer app do not care what sort of connection they are using - that lies outside the apps themselves - so if they work over 3g they WILL work over wlan. You simply have to diagnose the wlan connection i'm afraid. Given that you are running on a smart phone rather than a pc its next to impossible to actually do this, it's really a case of trial and error. There just aren't the tools available to tell where you wlan is going wrong.

The fact that you can browse to youtube using wlan suggests that everything is connecting and working, its just that a firewall is stripping the contect that gets fed back. Now, on my router it was reporting the streamed content as a denial of service attack, and I had to specifically disable the option that checked for a DoS attack on the router.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 12:50
Well, I haven't tested the latest firmware yet, so I don't know if something improved - but there are problems with the media- streaming over wlan. I.e, the media- player hangs, and so on, on longer clips for no apparent reason. And then it ends up magically working perfectly fine on your local provider's wap- gateway over 3g. So, it's very likely that the phone- implementation is causing problems.

But in general - if you can't connect at all, then the problem is with the firewall and router settings.

...hold on. Does the p1 use upnp for the media- layer? Anyone have the opportunity to check that?
benjijk
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 13:23
Good, one person that's thinking along the same lines. I am not using 3g cos I can't afford their ridiculous rates.

but I did try enabling upnp and that didn't work. So I'm not sure what it is. I don't understand why people dwell on all this talk about firewalls when my laptop, desktop and a friend's palm treo 700p can access the same content over the same router and modem.

BenjiJK§
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 13:44

On 2007-11-02 13:23:00, benjijk wrote:
Good, one person that's thinking along the same lines. I am not using 3g cos I can't afford their ridiculous rates.

but I did try enabling upnp and that didn't work. So I'm not sure what it is. I don't understand why people dwell on all this talk about firewalls when my laptop, desktop and a friend's palm treo 700p can access the same content over the same router and modem.

BenjiJK§

Simply because this is where the problem lies! Your laptop and desktop will not be looking at the same youtube site, its this which is the issue. Yes, there ARE issues with the media player and the wlan in the p1, but these are problems after you actually connect and start downloading. Just because a site works on your desktop PC that doesn't mean it will work on the p1! I promise you, the cause of your problem lies in the router/firewall configuration.
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 13:59
But you can't connect at all? Is that on a direct link to a ram- file, or is it something else?

..I'm not sure what's going on either, but it's like it tries to connect out, does that perfectly fine if it's got a direct address - and then screws up when it has to establish an udp connection on a random port.. Which could explain why some sites tend to not load at all, and others work fine, at least for a while (before the media- player hangs).
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 14:17

On 2007-11-02 13:44:42, pnf1973 wrote:

Simply because this is where the problem lies!

..Has anyone checked if it works on a direct connection? Through a vpn- account, for example?
OffLineR
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 14:34
I installed Realplayer to use rtsp on my laptop. I browsed through m.youtube.com and everything worked perfectly.

I can watch rtsp over my laptop but I can't with my P1i.
Forever !!!
Baumann
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 14:57
I have tried everything, does not work
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-02 15:02
@OffLineR:
Right. ..Might actually be that the p1's media player (and/or connection handler) won't try to establish new connections out when it starts to lose them. Which probably will work well on a wap- gateway, since it will renew the connections for the phone, and probably not need to negotiate the connections to keep them open. Which an ordinary router will have to, or it will just discard them after a while.

Which (if the shamanic debugging skills didn't fail me) explains why I managed to get streaming to work pretty good now after 1. setting my speedtouch- router on low firewall- settings (to allow all traffic out, which might allow the phone to keep it's connections), and 2. increased the timeout for tcp- connections (probably will have to do this via the cli- interface on most routers). (Tested this on a clip on m.youtube that only ran to 2min, but ran to the end of 8min (or so) after the tweaks.)

I'd really like to know why they've chosen this setup for the phone, though.. I guess it could have something to do with the security model - that the phone shouldn't be able to connect out on it's own. Perhaps it's got something to do with the way it idles connections? Maybe it won't use status packages in the usual way..?

I suppose it does save a lot of traffic, and problems, on the occasions where you don't want connections to open until it fills the stack, though..
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-11-02 17:09
I think the tcp stack is optimised for direct gprs/3g connections. Much slower connections than wlan that aren't firewalled and are designed with completely different latencies etc etc etc

Also remember that installing realplayer on a desktop is not the same as running the media player on the p1. The media player on the p1 will be - at best - a distant relation of the modern realplayer, which will be much better at dealing with the ummmm nuances of wlan. The third issue is what ever the network providers actually do to the internet connection you are using, could this be a qos issue? missing packets, excessive retries, long gaps and not enough buffering on the p1? proxies? who knows
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi