Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i fails on m.youtube.com

Author P1i fails on m.youtube.com
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-12 23:38
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Aha. Done it. Took some fiddling about, but i now have youtube mobile working over my WLan.

I had to allow my P1 to have a FULL connection to the internet, that is I had to configure my router to allow ALL inbound traffic and ports. This also required that i assign a static IP address to the P1 in the router and to correctly setup the IP configuration on the P1.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT YOU UNDERSTAND HOW TO DO THIS, YOU MAY PREVENT THE P1 FROM BROWSING THE NET VIA YOUR WIFI!

[EDIT] Good god, I spent ages figuring this out and the video quality is freaking rubbish! If i was you lot, i wouldn't bother and stick to YouTube on you normal desktop browser.

[ This Message was edited by: pnf1973 on 2007-10-12 22:40 ]
parasluco
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 03:24
so that's all it was, router settings?
denosha
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 03:57
I tried watching youtube vids on my p1i over WLAN on the day i got it and it worked right out of the box. I actually went to www.youtube.com but i assume I was auto-redirected to the mobile version since the site layout was different. My router's ports aren't opened up and i don't have port forwarding set up.
parasluco
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 06:22
Interesting. So it works for some, out of the box and for others with some tinkering.

So the next logical steps are, for those that have it working, what router do you have? For those not, what router do you have?

I have a Netgear MR814v2 [it was on sale for $20 haha].
Gunnut
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-13 06:46
I use a linksys wrt54gc, had the same problem. I thought it might have been some streaming setting problems, but no...
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger
micheluk
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 10:57
I can stream Youtube videos via the free WLAN in my pub on my P1i. It works 9 out of 10 times. No luck though via my home WLAN. I'm not technical but I assume the problem must be related to router settings.
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 11:09
It could be firewall too.In case you have firewall,make rules for exception (specially win xp sp2 users)..
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
denosha
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 16:16
I'm using a 2Wire 2700HGV-2 Gateway (ADSL2+ modem + 4 port ethernet router + 802.11g AP + VoIP) that was supplied by my ISP. It has a built-in firewall that is enabled and set to it's default settings.

My ISP has a proxy server which is actually optional. However, for the WLAN on my P1i i enable it. I've had problems on my Wii where it won't connect to my AP/internet properly if i don't enable the proxy. So I'd stick with it on my phone.
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-13 17:02
Yes, its basically just a firewall problem. Some routers have a built in firewall and some dont, but my router (a dlink) had a firewall which was preventing the video stream because the router was reporting as a DoS attack! To anyone having problems with the streaming on the P1 over WLan I would look at this first - I do NOT recommend you all turn off your firewalls however, this will leave your home networks open to attack from the internet.

What you need to do is figure out how to allow an open connection for a particular IP address on your network which you can then assign to the P1. This will be different from router to router but for the most part should be fairly easy to do.
denosha
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-14 04:41
To add on, most routers will allow you to assign a static IP address to a device (ie. every time that device connects, it will be assigned the same IP), which will make it easier to manage the firewall settings.

This website should help with the config: http://www.portforward.com/
nelshh
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-14 13:35
A note: in order for you to watch streaming media through your WiFi-connection, the router needs to support the RTSP-protocol.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-14 14:08
I've watched a few clips thru a wifi connection two nights ago and went really smooth. I was surpised! Not my thing Youtube but a nice feature to have!
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
nelshh
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-14 14:42
701, what's the name of your WiFi-router?
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-14 19:50
..I think it's pretty much certain it's not just firewall settings. What I have is that a stream often works for a long while - say eight, ten minutes. And then the media- player hangs (or the program exits). So I think it's fair to say there's something going on with the packet- transport. Perhaps the p1 doesn't answer quickly enough, or doesn't renew the requests - etc. I haven't got any tools to debug this, though.. so I'm not sure what to do with it.. Or check whether it's the media- player, or the wifi- connection, or just some specific service for the rtsp, or whatever.

I made an angry and too specific entry for it in the wiki a while back .. but if anyone can check if something similar happens on their phone on different wireless lans, that would be very useful.

It could, for instance, be that if the router is quick enough, or drops fewer packets, etc - the problems never show up, or something of that sort. That would explain the erratic problems I have with 3g streaming as well.. Anyway, feel free to suggest different wording in the wiki. I think we should have this one on the reference- list in some way..
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-10-14 23:05
I have been testing this, and i've noticed that the media player app will stop without warning and the tell you there is an error with the file. Given that I am more than confident that its not my adsl or router loosing any packets I believe this to be a fault with the media viewer app.

Unfortunately it is not consitent.

@Nipsen

What stream do you get this error with? I'd be happy to test it tommorrow evening when I get back from work.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi