Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K850 Firmware Overview

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author K850 Firmware Overview
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 04:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
[quote]
On 2007-10-16 23:36:54, darrengf wrote:

On 2007-10-16 23:29:49, chrisdaniels wrote:
This is not a bug but a request SE. Please can we have the Option to view the clock in standby. Im sick of pressing a button to see if i have a message. Pretty please

wot do you mean by that?! on K750 & K800/810 when you want to view your clock on standby, press volume buttons and the screen will light up but not showing your phone standby screen but the clock. is that what you mean?

or doesnt the k850 have that one already?

if so, i guess we should ask to make a light functions as a reminder if we have an unread SMS message, or an unanswered CALL.
keypad lights should blink once every 30secs something like that.
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 04:54

On 2007-10-16 23:36:54, darrengf wrote:
This is not a bug but a request SE. Please can we have the Option to view the clock in standby. Im sick of pressing a button to see if i have a message. Pretty please

Well even the standby clock on my K790a is barely effective because the screen auto dims so well that I often DO press a volume button to light it up. This is within subway and florescent lighting.

Personally I'd rather have the STAPLE of all :ericsson: and phones to return : Status screen.

However ... why is it when SE makes 2 models for different regions that slightly differ in settings ... this FORUM ONLY has information on " 1 " of the two???!?!?!

K800 & K790a/i BOTH are VERY well sold across the world and BOTH should be considered when posted a good thread for information. Yet all too often this doesn't happen.

SOrry to the thread OP about taking this kind of fit here but I do appreciate the work you do - its just fustrating and one sided in other threads - one's I don't have bookmarked to post this reply on.
back on top ...

When is the next firmware update?
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 05:02
clock in sleep mode is missing from K850 UI. I agree with Prom1 that it's not always visible, but it often is and I find it very useful.

The answer is to have a brighter clock in sleep mode - just the numbers a bit whiter, it would effect battery life hardly at all.
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 10:29
It pains me to say this, buy the K850 is a bit of a disappointment for me, especially compared to previous platform advances (K610, K700, K750, K800) where the functionaility was at least as good as it's predecessor and there were solid advances in the platform. The sort of things I mean are:

- D Pad usability
- Lack of Pause/Resume button on the phone - especially as this doesn't function on the HPM-82 either!
- Inferior flash photography to K800
- No standby clock / information
- Noticably slower UI
- Inferior benchmarks, indicating a slower CPU

These shortcomings wouldn't be such a problem if there were significant platform advances, but there's not really a lot in this release apart from the new media player, which is OK but far less usable due to the lack of instantly accesible Play/Pause functionailty!
Duran
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 11:00
why would they use a SLOWER cpu??
I really hope its all in the firmware...
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 12:35

On 2007-10-17 10:29:58, mwarner wrote:
It pains me to say this, buy the K850 is a bit of a disappointment for me, especially compared to previous platform advances (K610, K700, K750, K800) where the functionaility was at least as good as it's predecessor and there were solid advances in the platform. The sort of things I mean are:

- D Pad usability
- Lack of Pause/Resume button on the phone - especially as this doesn't function on the HPM-82 either!
- Inferior flash photography to K800
- No standby clock / information
- Noticably slower UI
- Inferior benchmarks, indicating a slower CPU

These shortcomings wouldn't be such a problem if there were significant platform advances, but there's not really a lot in this release apart from the new media player, which is OK but far less usable due to the lack of instantly accesible Play/Pause functionailty!

I'm excited about K850, but the initial reports of slowness are worrying. Though it is possibly just firmware problems.

I can live with the lack of sleep mode clock, but I'm a little worried about the missing pause button. Perhaps music can be paused some other way, it seems quite bizzare to remove the pause button. I can only assume this is more of an effort to differentiate Walkman and Cybershot models. It's really stupid because it turns a device that can be used for three main purposes (phone, camera, and mp3player) into a much more limited device. All for the sake of ONE little button and stupid branding games.

I have no problem with branding through styling, infact I like the cybershot branding, but functionality should be kept well out of the equation.
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 14:23
> why would they use a SLOWER cpu??

Presumably for reduced power consumption or reduced cost. Usually this gets done automatically by the CPU manufacturer using a smaller process, but perhaps not this year!

> I'm a little worried about the missing pause button. Perhaps
> music can be paused some other way

Me too - I could live with it if my HPM-82's Play/Pause and FF/RW buttons worked, but they doesn't - only the volume!

> I can only assume this is more of an effort to differentiate Walkman
> and Cybershot models.

I tend to agree. It seems odd in my eyes to put in a more advanced media player and then have no readily accesible control mechanism for it! I will be mightily pissed off if it is a deliberate move to stop the Play/Pause buttons working on external headphones to force you to use the Walkman branded phones.

Mike
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 14:44
Well after using the phone more and more and using other K850i's I and a few collegues have come accross just a few more problems with the current firmware.

1) If you recevie a voice mail, you are notified that a voice mail message has been left on the main screen, however the voice mail icon on the screen doesnt show. (O2) not tried on another network yet.

2) When you connect the phone via the usb cable, You cant see the ringtone folder (Not on o2 phones any way)

3) Phone doesnt support Mp4 tunes and doesnt support some jpeg photos. Both K750, K800 does support these as this is where they have come from.

4) When the phone is connected to USB. On trasnfering a picture, the picture has duplicated it 4 times and over rid one of the original SE photos.

5), The flash Def doesnt always sink when the pic has ben taken, or the flash doesnt always go of (Confirmed on other K850i's)

6) I can also confirm that sometimes the Shutter doesnt always open. On sime phones its fine and on others it just doesnt open all the time (o2 phones as well)

If there are any others I will post asap.

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-10-17 14:01 ]
-Ryan-
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 14:54
God, I'll add my support for the standby clock. Why it was removed is a complete mystery. Obviously the development department wasn't quite on form.
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 15:00
I think that we need to email SE regarding the stand by clock.

Not that it will do any good as it never does. But i think they should have given us the option for us to switch it on and of.
tomchadwin
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 15:00
This all worries me. I presumed I'd be getting a K850 straight away, but two things concern me. Can people give further details of these two issues:

1. Is video playback really worse than the K800? I use my phone for watching M3-ripped DVDs more than anything else - does anyone know what bitrates work on the K850?

2. MP4 audio is not supported?! You have GOT to be kidding me! You mean it cannot play HE-AACv2 files? I have loads of albums ripped with M3 to .m4a on my K800. Will these not work?

Thanks for any further info

Tom
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 15:04

On 2007-10-17 15:00:35, tomchadwin wrote:
This all worries me. I presumed I'd be getting a K850 straight away, but two things concern me. Can people give further details of these two issues:

1. Is video playback really worse than the K800? I use my phone for watching M3-ripped DVDs more than anything else - does anyone know what bitrates work on the K850?

2. MP4 audio is not supported?! You have GOT to be kidding me! You mean it cannot play HE-AACv2 files? I have loads of albums ripped with M3 to .m4a on my K800. Will these not work?

Thanks for any further info

Tom

1. ** The video quality is worse no doubt about that. (Clarity is worse) but the speed is fine. Speach is fine but about 5 seconds out from the picture on most formats

2.**The phone currenlty says, this file is not supported and you get to choose skip the file or skip all. ** ** But we havnt tried all formats **

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-10-17 14:06 ]
rosco
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 15:22
I have a load of .m4a tracks on my memory card (transferred via bluetooth from my mac) and they all work fine.

[ This Message was edited by: rosco on 2007-10-17 15:01 ]
chrisdaniels
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 15:56
I find the video is far better quality than the k800. You just need to get the bit rates right.

Has anyone prompted SE to this forum yet?
Duran
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-17 16:03
Oh yeh the phone's got more features, more MP cam etc but SE decides to put a slower CPU in it? wtf is wrong with them?
Sluggish UI is one of the biggest reasons for me to stay away from a phone..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic