Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K850 Firmware Overview

123 ... 695696697  Next
Author K850 Firmware Overview
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 16:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
K850 Firmware Overview

Each firmware revision listed below contains the fixes listed against that revision plus the fixes of all the firmwares below that entry.

R1FA035
- Released on SEUS starting 18/6/08

Improvements / Changes
- Startup time is 2-3 seconds faster than previous firmwares
- Improved battery life
- Improved performance
- Reduction in crashes
- Audio synchronisation issues for MP4s have been resolved
- Update feature in Media has been added
- Improved accelerometer sensitivity

Bugs / Issues
- When using File Manager you can no longer select files by typing in the first letters of the filename

Performance
- JBenchmark 3D HQ: 447
- JBenchmark 3D LQ: 434
- JBenchmark 2: 906
- JBenchmark 1: 6434

Software versions:
EROM: 1200-4341
LCD: 200712121
Camera: 3.7
Videocall camera: 3.0
Content: PA18
Java: 8.2.1
Text: BO

R1EA037
- Released on SEUS starting 12/4/08

Improvements / Changes
- Improved Media Player UI speed.
- Updated Text software revision.
- Connection icon in java apps has been re-added.

Bug fixes
- A cause of crashes in Photomate has been fixed.

Performance
- JBenchmark 3D HQ: 438
- JBenchmark 3D LQ: 427
- JBenchmark 2: 940
- JBenchmark 1: 6829

Software versions:
Java: 8.2
Text: BD

R1EC001
- Released on SEUS 12/3/08 (ORANGE UK only)

Improvements / Changes
- Updated Content software revision.

Software versions:
Text: BB

R1EA031
- Released on EMMA 15/02/08
- Released on SEUS starting 21/2/08

Improvements / Changes
- General User Interface performance improvements.
- Notable performance improvements with the Media Centre User Interface.
- Improved sound quality & volume from Media Player.
- Improved transition effects in the photo viewer.
- Photo Fix option now available in photo viewer (previously this was only available just after the photo was taken).
- Faster bootup sequence compared to previous firmwares (25 seconds rather than 35)
- Key response menu added in Settings -> Sounds & alerts, allowing the selection of sound or vibrate when pressing the touch sensitive buttons.
- List view added for messages.
- The ability to select HSDPA as your preferred communications protocol has been added to Menu Settings -> Mobile Networks -> GSM/3G networks
- The Video Player's audio synchronisation / stuttering issues are still present, but have a different profile to previous firmwares.
- Numerous icon changes have been made, e.g. Email->Settings->POP 3 & SMTP, call 'busy' icon, Aa, aa, 123 icon background etc.
- When listening to music on a Bluetooth headset the music fades down (but not back in again) on receipt of a text message.
- Phone warning and error tones now play through any connected Bluetooth headset.
- The light can now be switched on and off when recording video.

Bug fixes
- Fixes battery longevity issues introduced in R1DA038
- Equaliser now remembers custom settings.
- The zoom buttons no longer change the volume when zooming into a picture if you are listening to music in the background.
- Fixes for Bluetooth compatibility on certain devices, e.g. Audi & Mercedes car bluetooth modules & the SE Bluetooth watch.
- Prevent some boot issues due to Java Script errors.
- Faster satelite fix with the HGE-100 GPS accessory.
- Switching to camera snapshot view mode no longer opens the lens cover.
- Fixed the lens cover opening when the camera was turned on in "silde show" mode (camera switch under play position).
- Fixed the bug preventing users from getting out of screensaver mode if they were displaying pictures by putting the camera switch in the Play position and the screensaver cut in.
- Fixed colour / pixel distortion on progress bar while displaying a 'please wait' pop up window.

Bugs / Issues
- The Blue Ring Of Death (BROD), named after the blue lights around the camera lighting up and the phone becoming totally unresponsive unless a full firmware flash is performed, can occur with this firmware.
- Adding a theme that customises the Media Player causes the background to turn black if rotated into Landscape mode. This did not occur in previous firmwares.
- Java applications that use an Internet connection no longer display the internet connection icon when connected.
- Folder quick search no longer works correctly in sub folders.

Performance
- JBenchmark 3D HQ: 445
- JBenchmark 3D LQ: 431
- JBenchmark 2: 932
- JBenchmark 1: 6103

Software versions:
Content: PA17
Text: BB

R1DA039
- '3' network branded version of R1DA038

R1DA038
- Released on SEUS starting 21/12/07

Improvements / Changes
- SMS/MMS icon changes
- Media Player modifications and speed improvements
- Java benchmarks show significant speed improvements
- Updated Camera driver
- Updated Java engine

Bugs / Issues
- Battery life seems to have been reduced with this firmware revision.

Performance
- JBenchmark 3D HQ: 441
- JBenchmark 3D LQ: 430
- JBenchmark 2: 950
- JBenchmark 1: 5802

Software versions:
EROM: R6A008
LCD: 200703291
Camera: 3.4
Content: PA17
Java: 8.1
Text: AP

R1CA037
- Released to SE Service Centres around 25/10/07
- Released on SEUS starting 3/12/07 (Nordic)

Improvements / Changes
- The Media player speed has been increased when dealing with many entries.
- Java benchmarks show speed improvements
- Added the ability to save messages to the Memory card in Messaging -> Settings -> General.

Bug fixes
- Improved flash synchronization, preventing photos taken in dark conditions from coming out as very dark or black.
- Prevent some boot issues due to Java Script errors.

Bugs
- Shuffle functionality in the Media Player repeats the same track until you manually skip to the next.

Performance
- JBenchmark 3D HQ: 96
- JBenchmark 3D LQ: 199
- JBenchmark 2: 926
- JBenchmark 1: 5913

Software versions:
LCD: 200708241
Camera: 2.9
Content: PA13
Java: 8.0
Text: AC

R1CA029
- First release

Bugs
- The flash doesn't always sync with the image capture, leaving dark or black photos in night conditions.
- Manual equaliser settings are not remembered when exiting and then returning to the media player.
- Play/Pause and FF/RW controls on HPM-82 do not work
- FF/RW controls on DS-980 skip tracks, but cannot be used to FF/RW (Note that the Play/Pause button does work with DS-980)
- Trying to continue music playback, after phoning out using the DS-980, fails.
- Phone can crash when using HPM-82
- Phone can crash whilst in standby mode, requiring a hard reboot (taking the battery out)
- Corruption of the file system can occur affecting photos, applications etc
- Alarms only produce three beeps on some phones rather than play the selected ringtone.
- Some Video playback is out of sync with the sound
- USB photo transfer can lead to duplicated pictures / removal of other pictures present on the phone
- Video is of lower quality than the K800
- Occasional second or so delay between the vibration of an incomming text/call and screen illumination.
- Audiobook functionaility cannot be accessed
- If the phone goes into standby whilst viewing photos, resuming the phone isn't possible unless you exit this mode.
- When you connect the phone via the usb cable, You cant see the ringtone folder
- Phone doesnt support some Mp4 files and doesnt support some jpeg photos.
- On some phones the shutter ocasionally fails to open when taking a photo
- Not all symbols are possible to enter in the email client settings, e.g. not allowing you from adding a : for gmail addresses.
- The zoom buttons both zoom into a picture and change the volume if you are listening to music whilst browsing pictures.
- On some phones, the volume keys do not respond, requiring a reboot to restore functionaility.
- On some phones, adding a birthday to a contact does not give you a chance to add it to the Calendar.
- 8Gb Micro SDHC cards are not recognized when the phone is MTP mode.
- Playing a video clip whilst listening to music exits the music player. On the K800 the music would fade back in after the video has finished playing.

Performance
- JBenchmark 3D HQ: 103
- JBenchmark 3D LQ: 193
- JBenchmark 2: 733
- JBenchmark 1: 4209

Software versions:
LCD: 200708241
Camera: 2.9
Content: PA13
Java: 8.0
Text: AC

Accessing Firmware Information

To find out which firmware revision your phone currently has installed, select Menu > Settings > General > Update service > Software version. For more detailed software versioning information, perform the following:

>*<<*<*

Where < and > represents clicking the D-Pad left and right keys respectively.

In addition to the software information available, further information about the phone (Serial number, Build Year and Week number) is available via a pull out card. See the following post for photos showing how to access this card.

Sony Ericsson Update Service

The firmware of the K850 can be upgraded either over the air by selecting Settings / Update Service / Search for update or via the more traditional (and potentially cheaper) method of the Sony Ericsson Update Service. In order to use SEUS you will need to have internet access (preferably Broadband) and attach your phone to your PC via the supplied USB cable.

If you run into problems, you may wish to download and install Sun's Java Runtime Environment separately.

If the firmware update fails part way through, retry the SEUS. If the update consistently fails you will need to perform a Master Reset on your phone. It is likely that you will be required to perform a Reset All - a settings reset is unlikely to do the job. It is recommended to use a tool such as MyPhoneExplorer to create a backup of the data on your phone before performing a Master Reset. Note that you will still lose any games, themes or ringtones present in your phone's memory.

SEUS will currently install the following firmware revisions for UK phone brands:

K850
Unbranded UK (CDA102511/2) - R1EA037
O2 UK (CDA102511/41) - R1EA037
Vodafone UK (CDA102511/15) - R1DA038
Orange UK (CDA102511/47) - R1DA038
3 UK (CDA102511/69) - R1EA037
T-Mobile (CDA102511/12) - R1DA038

Third Party Update Services

Third party firmware updates are available from DaVinci Team, Kulan Kendi & Total GSM. The use of third party solutions will theoretically void your warranty (although in practice the phone vendor is unlikely to notice) so should only be used in preference to SEUS for debranding purposes or updating a problematic phone locked out of SEUS by the service provider.

Drivers

Drivers for all current Sony Ericsson phones can be downloaded from EMMA.

Other Sony Ericsson Firmware Overviews

K800
K750 / W800
K700 / K500
T610 / T630

[ This Message was edited by: mwarner on 2008-07-10 15:05 ]
Duran
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 17:02
How come it scores so much worse than the k800 in the benchmarks?
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 17:02
As usual mwarner, I'll be a constant reader here!

[ This Message was edited by: aremaboy on 2007-10-18 09:46 ]
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 17:11
As of now WotanServer has no support for this new platform. I sent an email to them and they replied that due to the new platform, they had no ETA for K850i.

[ This Message was edited by: aremaboy on 2007-10-18 09:46 ]
Mike2
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 17:28
ETA = Estimated Time of Arival

[ This Message was edited by: Mike2 on 2007-10-16 16:28 ]
weasley
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 17:45
any soft can change CDA at the moment for K850i?
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 17:49

On 2007-10-16 17:02:29, Duran wrote:
How come it scores so much worse than the k800 in the benchmarks?

I'm quite curious about that as well. Looks a bit odd to me, unless it's milliseconds, so that it means that the K850 does it in less time.

[ This Message was edited by: mr_lou on 2007-10-16 16:55 ]
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 18:12
Yes, I was rather suprised at the benchmark numbers - certainly slower than the K800, which I guess explains why the UI is more sluggish.
-Ryan-
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 18:33
The O2 UK firmware is incorrect? My phone is O2 UK branded, and yet it displays R1CA029 as the firmware, with no updates available through SEUS. Is the one you are showing a firmware that is newly released since Sunday?
Duran
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 18:54

On 2007-10-16 18:12:17, mwarner wrote:
Yes, I was rather suprised at the benchmark numbers - certainly slower than the K800, which I guess explains why the UI is more sluggish.

It is? i remember gsmarena (or mobilereview) stating that the UI was a tat speedier
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-16 22:20
The UI is definately less responsive & the animations not as smooth as the K800.

Updated the first post with the initial bugs I have found - comments from current users of the phone are more than welcome.
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 23:04
There is another bug which i known has been posted a couple of times and i have checked a few phones for this issue which they do have

Some Video playback is out of sync with the sound (Aprox 3-5 seconds) Video is sluggish too.

The Flash does sometimes does discharge early before the photo is shot, so this may be causing the dark pics that people mention?

There is a Bug in trying to download of the Fun and dowloads of the SE through your phone. The Free software either says phone isnt compatible or error when trying to download, same with the free games.

I think this is more the site than the phone, but it has been reported to Se and confirmed with a few K850i's on different networks having the same problem.

Hope this helps

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-10-16 22:16 ]
chrisdaniels
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 23:29
Definate bugs in this first version of O2 firmware.

Got mine on friday, and on a journey down to London yesterday had a good while to play with it.

First Impressions:
Sometimes when receiving a call or text, the phone will vibrate and about 2 seconds later the screen will come to life to show who it is.. not good

When listening to media player and writing texts, the bottom menu colouring is corrupt. (maybe the theme i am using)

Volume buttons failed to respond in media player once. Had to restart.

When using media player, the whole phone responds very slowly at times.

Crashed once in camera mode while altering some settings.

I have also had the dark photo problem, but i think this is because of the poor placement of the light sensor. There is a leaflet in the box Re correct usage.

Also, taking video in a nightclub even with AF light on results in dark video.

I hope they release a new firmware soon..because otherwise this phone is the best one yet

[ This Message was edited by: chrisdaniels on 2007-10-16 22:36 ]
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-16 23:36
[quote]
On 2007-10-16 23:29:49, chrisdaniels wrote:
Deffinate bugs in this first version of O2 firmware.
Got mine on friday, and on a journey down to London yesterday had a good while to play with it.

Sometimes when receiving a call or text, the phone will vibrate and a second later the screen will come to life to show who it is

** Ive noticed his my self and forgot to mention it **

When listening to media player and writing texts, the bottom menu is colouring is corrupt.

** I havnt had that yet, however some of my pics have been corrupt **

One thing i have noticed which i think its a quirk. When you unlock the phone, (from the black screen)
The top half the keypad comes on for a second before the bottom half. Any one noticed this?

This is not a bug but a request SE. Please can we have the Option to view the clock in standby. Im sick of pressing a button to see if i have a message. Pretty please
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-17 02:41
I second that request!

Pretty pretty please with sugar on top?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 695696697  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic