Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i vs N95

Author P1i vs N95
rcxAsh
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 15:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Firstly, regarding battery life, it's relative to the age of the device, the environmental conditions under which it has/is been/being used, and the usage pattern of the user.

Older batteries constantly operating in hotter areas won't last as long. And a user using more power-hungry features constantly such as 3G, WiFi and Bluetooth will see less uptime than a user who does not use them.

Myself for example, could probably squeeze two days out of my P990i. But I'd guess if I used 3G and WiFi more extensively, that this would be shortened substantially. Also, if my device was a year old instead of a month old, there would be a difference as well.

At any rate, I think it's difficult to compare the N95 with the P1i. To me, they're two different styles of phones, mainly because of their form factors.

The feature set of the N95 is nice, but, I can't see myself using it as a PDA. I don't want to be using T9 to write up all my emails, enter calendar entries, contacts, etc. I'd expect to use either stylus input or a hardware QWERTY keyboard.

Now, if I just wanted a good multi-media phone, not a primarily PDA device, then the N95 would be nice.

[ This Message was edited by: rcxAsh on 2007-08-23 14:19 ]
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 15:23
all around, N95 is a good phone, only it's built quality and poor battery performance have let me down, other than that, it's such a device! though lacking a touch screen and semi qwerty keyboard may not kill it.....

i thought of having another ressurection of the N95, but considering the very cheap materials made for the phone, N93i is considered better still IMO
mookkoo
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 16:59
I agree with RcxAsh, they are two completely different phone. Undoubtedly, feature-wise, N95 holds its edge over P1i. However, it depends on what you are looking for, what your needs are. I chose P1i because of Qwerty keyboards, and I'm really not a big fan of slider phone.

I prefer touchscreen phone that can be operated without touching the screen (oxymoron, lol). I mean touchscreen feature is nice, but if you have to take out stylus to click some of the really small icons too often, it'll get a little annoying (especially in a situation where two-handed operation is quite impossible).

When it comes to battery life, Nokia has a lot of features and smaller battery to make it worse, so it's only normal for it to have shorter battery life. While P1i is a newer phone with less features and more RAM, so it is expected for it to have longer life (it's a higher rated battery afterall, 1120 vs 920 mA(??))

In the end, it all depends on what you want and need.
Can you live without a 802.11g and stick with b? I can, and it's more than enough for my usage. I don't have data plan, so I dont really consider stuff like HSDPA, 3G or GPRS. What important tho, is that it has a camera at the front. Both phones do.
GPS? it's good to have, although not a necessity for me..yet. But then GPS without touchscreen is quite a pain, that's why almost all GPS has a touchscreen feature.
5MP? That's really tempting, but I doubt it'll be as good as my old S400 (4MP ) Canon. Maybe it does, but at the end of the day, I'd much rather to go with Canon brand to take care of my picture need than with Sony or Nokia (This just me, no bashing. I know, i know, it's carl zeiss lens they use in N95, the same lens that they use in Sony phone, but still, in my head, there are reasons why Canon is so successful in making good cameras). I admit that P1i camera is wayyy less than N95, but it's a compromise I am ready to make.

After all said and done, it really depends on what is important for you.

BTW: This is a SE forum, so expect to see bias opinion from some of P1i owners, including myself (heck, I paid for it and am using it right now)

[ This Message was edited by: mookkoo on 2007-08-23 16:13 ]
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 17:11
depends on your uses....

both have +'s and -'s

n95 - IMO, weak battery, weak build, fully loaded the latest features gps, wifi, etc...), lacking in ram,

better browser, faster procesor, easier to use IMO.. (most people have a hard time adapting to UIQ3's mix of touchscreen and scroll wheel... s60 is more like a beefed up regular phone)

p1i - IMO, lacking hsdpa, not a true world phone no 850, procesor is slow in comparison to n95. UI can be a bit quirky.. again eventhough i'm use to it i see faults in it's design)

excellent multitasking and it's fast (lots of ram), better a2dp connection, touchscreen, qwerty, excellent battery life

really comes down to preference.... i'm choosing the p1i now... but if the n95 8gig or US version comes out... and is loaded with ram and a decent battery i may wander over to check it out...
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-23 20:14
The us version will come sooner then some SE fans want/wish Indeed it has a 1200ma battery which can be used in 'old' N95's too (the back cover must be changed thou) The biggest advantage of the N95 is its operating system (S60) You people have absolutely no idea how much 'infighting' was between S40 , 60 and 80. Keep in mind - any of this 3 platforms make Uiq look like a peanut what sale numbers are concerned. Finaly the s60 came on top. The 'one handed operation' is the 'unsung hero' - in my opinion, especially in this fast living, multi tasking world. While most people in this forum are young freaks, the majority of users in the world regard a cellphone as a 'handy tool'. And exactly here the s60 comes into its own. Yes, one can write 'Lord of the Rings' easier on a Htc or P990 or P1 or . . . BUT how many 'normal users' buy a phone to be used like that? Mind you, while I am checking my daughter's home work with my right hand I am tipping this very message with my left. Furthermore Nokia will shortly (within a year) bring out a cell with Gps (nothing new for them) AND voice recognition ! ! ! This scenario becomes a reality -< human asks '' N99 - PETROL STATION PLEASE '' cell's answer '' WHICH ONE YOU PREFER '' (in a male or female voice) human answer ''SHELL'' cell's answer '' SORRY IS CLOSED THIS TIME OF NIGHT '' human '' NEAREST ONE '' cell '' IN 300 METER TURN RIGHT '' and so on until '' YOU HAVE RICHED YOUR DESTINATION '' >- Now you think 'huh impossible in my life time' I say think again afterall this is what computers have become
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 20:19
as of right now my p1i is a lot closer to what computers have become then the current n95 and i use my p1i with one hand as well... only noobs use the pen...

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-08-23 19:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: DragonEye on 2007-08-23 19:24 ]
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-23 20:30
Don't confuse 'to what compusers ARE' with 'to what compusers HAVE BECOME' and indeed I can use my laptop with one hand too You are missing the point buddy ! Greetings from South Africa.
Mario
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
Nickp990
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 22:27
i dont like nokia but n95 makes me wow wow wow.very good phone i thik i will buy it when i have money love this phone.it have everytning i want from phone
N N N sorry for my english

Love my p990 and Esato forum!
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-08-23 22:28

On 2007-08-23 20:30:11, mario2004 wrote:
Don't confuse 'to what compusers ARE' with 'to what compusers HAVE BECOME' and indeed I can use my laptop with one hand too You are missing the point buddy ! Greetings from South Africa.
Mario

i get it!! i get it!! you can't type properly with one hand mr. compusers.. time to get a p1i lol lol lol
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
tenshi888
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 06:53
I came from an N95 and I traded it in to a P1i. Cost-wise it seems crazy but I'm so much happier with the P1i.
I still can't believe the horrible build quality of the N95. For a flagship phone, heck, even just as a phone, there is no excuse for that kind of build quality. The gaps in the side of the screen's housing, the slider wobbling with people on the web actually posting how-to videos on how to apply tape just to fix it. Series 60 was also a big let down its really not a PDA its really just a smartphone-- how they could make that into the platform for the communicator I have no idea. You can't even just properly copy and paste in most instances, like in received messages, web pages. The battery life is also really bad, you have to turn off 3G just to make it last a full day. I cannot see how anyone can claim it lasts them more than a day unless they switch it off at night. It seems to consume significant amounts of power even on standby.
The music player was pretty good, it was fast, album art was large, navigation was good BUT there is a well-known hiss using the headphones. A2DP stutters.
The camera was also pretty good but it took so long just to start it up and take a shot, most times the moment has passed.
Last but certainly not least, the RAM was not enough. Anytime you tried to surf and listen to music at the same time the music player would quit.
The N95 had the potential but the execution was LOUSY. I lost quite a lot of money on it and I'm never buying another Nokia again.
ttsng
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 07:53
I think you are still lucky with N95. If you had P990i, you could lost usd 400 - 450 in half year. .
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-24 08:00

On 2007-08-23 20:14:42, mario2004 AND voice recognition ! ! ! This scenario becomes a reality -< human asks '' N99 - PETROL STATION PLEASE '' cell's answer '' WHICH ONE YOU PREFER '' (in a male or female voice) human answer ''SHELL'' cell's answer '' SORRY IS CLOSED THIS TIME OF NIGHT '' human '' NEAREST ONE '' cell '' IN 300 METER TURN RIGHT '' and so on until '' YOU HAVE RICHED YOUR DESTINATION '' >-

Of course, you ''forgot'' to mention that ypu have to pay for a GPS subscription in order to get proper directions. If you are not ready to pay, you get very basic directions which can take you someplace else. Stop being such a Nokia fanboy on a SE forum - it's really pathetic for a grown up.
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
tenshi888
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 12:02
I tried to really like my N95 but the GPS would take average of 10 minutes to lock on to a proper signal, that was already with the latest firmware update a-gps. It really was more of a proof of concept/ gimmick. I would take a proper external gps module any day over a built-in one that sucked.
myth_old
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 12:49
@tenshi

I have had the same problem.
It did not take 10 minutes to lock on a satellite, but around 3-4 minutes (still too long if a-gps is enabled).

Then I have changed a setting, but I do not remember, which one it was, and afterwards it locked within 20-30 sec. [addsig]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-24 13:40
No matter how good you think the P1i is, it is still not good enough because it lacks 3rd party software support. Smartphone without software = normal phone.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic