Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia admits mobile battery issue

Author Nokia admits mobile battery issue
SMS
Z550a Black
PM
Posted: 2007-08-14 12:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think panasonic will pay for these replacements.
Wuz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-08-14 13:21
I would imagine only a tiny fraction of the 46 million, will actually end up being replaced. Most consumers will noit even be aware of the issue and of those that are, I think a large proportion will do nothing about it in terms of actively checking if they are effected or not.
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-14 17:06
Yeah and actually is Matushita the ones with the loss. Nokia only made this announcement after discovering/finding out that is not their fault ! Now they (nokia) say: Hey look how good and nice we are - if you are affected we (actually WE) will replace it for you because we are such nice people. Under cover Matushita pays to keep Nokia as a battery customer. Marketing ploy by Nokia - I like them but this move makes me wonder. No hot feelings, no pity, take no prisoners Shame on you Nokia.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-08-14 17:59
Well I don't think consumers actually know that the batteries were supplied by Matsushita but at least Nokia owned up and took the responsibility. Most people don't know who Matsushita are.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2007-08-14 17:00 ]
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-15 05:14
Is interesting to see Matsushita not recalling the very same battery which does not have the Nokia logo! I have a Holux M-1000 with a battery which falls in this category, ('made by Matsushita' and 'dec. 2006' - written on it) You think Nokia will replace it ?
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 06:00
@Jojo,

have you heard the news about a woman in philippines having her nokia N91 battery(using BL-5C Li-ion one) exploded and burning her sim card and a small portion of the back of the phone? it was being reported on the news on abs-com afaik.

46 Million is way too large, although it was nokia who will replace it, so financially not that trememdous for them imo.
10 years at Esato
Twometre
Z710 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-15 07:11
To all those who curse and spit fire: Just take it easy. Nokia is making the right move to the right direction. 46m, wel i guess that wil be one of their major projects added to their endles list.

This message was posted from a V360
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 13:10
@razec
46 million is a hell of a lot of batteries. If the cost of each battery replacement (including postage, disposal etc.) is $10, then that's easily $460 million. Not cheap for any company.

But I admire the fact that Nokia would volunterally replace that many batteries and admit the fault. I have a battery that's been affected (family member) and the proccess is very easy. Fill out the form with minimal details, and Nokia will send the battery to you and provide a way to dispose of your old battery for free.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 13:16
its unlikely that all those 46 million batteries will actually be replaced though. I'd be surprised if a quarter actually are
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 13:31
@masseur
I'd agree, but I was just pointing out that this recall is a big thing. Just because Nokia is a large company, it doesn't mean that it won't suffer from this financially.
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 13:59

On 2007-08-15 13:31:21, shaliron wrote:
@masseur
I'd agree, but I was just pointing out that this recall is a big thing. Just because Nokia is a large company, it doesn't mean that it won't suffer from this financially.

Plus if it prepared to admit 46,000,000 batteries are affected then it must have considered the likelyhood of replacing each and every one or the vast majority of them.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-08-15 14:29
they may have to make provision for that eventuality in its accounts to its shareholders in order to accurately provide financial forecasts, but they would certainly know that the number that actually get replaced would not be anywhere near that figure.

For a start I bet a large number of consumers are totally unaware of the recall. I haven't seen any TV ads and only saw it mentioned briefly in a couple of newspapers. Next week thos whole thing will probably be forgotten by many who have read it and not acted immediately, some just won't be bothered.

I saw a statistic once on the SE replacment of the CST-13 wall charger a couple of years back and that was a very low return (can't find that right now)

ayway, even if they replace 10% then at the $10 figure (which is probably high) thats still a $45million knock for them and the shareholders
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-15 17:34
Huh people , just read my last post in this tread. Initially Nokia will stand in for the 'loss' but (yes there is a big BUT) what Nokia does not really want the public/consumers to hear is that 'Nokia was aware of the problem for quite some time yet they only decided to go public after the battery manufactuer agreed to the fault and to all the financial losses Nokia may incure !' . The big share holders have been timely informed of the move and has been decided to 'go public'. There won't be any court battle - the matter has been settled before hand. If nokia should have handled this in any other way a sudden drop in share price would have been noticed. I for one lost some respect for Nokia because they seemed to have managed to butter the bread on both sites at Matsushita's expence
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-08-15 22:33
could it be the reason for the sudden batt bar drop too?

This message was posted from a E60-1
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2007-08-16 06:14

On 2007-08-15 06:00:07, razec wrote:
@Jojo,

have you heard the news about a woman in philippines having her nokia N91 battery(using BL-5C Li-ion one) exploded and burning her sim card and a small portion of the back of the phone? it was being reported on the news on abs-com afaik.

46 Million is way too large, although it was nokia who will replace it, so financially not that trememdous for them imo.

@razec - Yeah, I've actually seen that news report . . . the girl is in her 40's-50's, I guess and looks kinda rich - $$$$$ will SUE Nokia if ever . . .

I wonder what Nokia fone models this battery (in issue) covers Say like, the Nokia 6600? [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi