Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > N95 - new firmware version 11.0.026 is now available

Author N95 - new firmware version 11.0.026 is now available
Gizmo47
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 21:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@scouser 75, the others are right there is no way i know of to do this update on ppc. Maybe use a mates pc or intel mac...
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 22:56

On 2007-05-08 21:46:57, Gizmo47 wrote:
@scouser 75, the others are right there is no way i know of to do this update on ppc. Maybe use a mates pc or intel mac...

The only way is to use MS Virtual PC. No other way. Sorry.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
revolution3
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 23:20
HI
has anybody had problems with the new firmware? I use a photo from the camera album as a wallpaper and everytime i go into an app, anything in the menu, when i go back to standby all i get is the theme background, my pic has gone?

any ideas??
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-09 00:44

On 2007-05-08 23:20:33, revolution3 wrote:
HI
has anybody had problems with the new firmware? I use a photo from the camera album as a wallpaper and everytime i go into an app, anything in the menu, when i go back to standby all i get is the theme background, my pic has gone?

any ideas??

Actually I have noticed a few errors/bugs.

1. If you are using GPS and then try to use the media player, music, or whatever, it will slow down or even hang.
2. In GPS, if you try to use the Recent menu, the phone crashes immediately and reboots.

Anyone else verify this?

P.S. Hey Masseur can we have some Nokia avatars also please?

-/..../../...//.../../-/.//../...//--./---/../-./--.//-/---//-/...././/-../-

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2007-05-08 23:46 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-10 23:32

On 2007-05-05 09:57:32, mib1800 wrote:
GPS is faster to lock on. Battery is about same. Battery life is acceptable for normal use in the first place - about 2 full days (48hrs). Of course if you use wifi/gps battery will deplete fast. Then again show me ONE device that do not!!! My friend's Eten glofish gobbles up battery (1500mAH?) even faster when using wifi/gps than my N95.

You must have the magic phone. Even with GPS usage as minimal as possible, no wifi searching, limited BT usage, minimal media player usage, I have not been remotely able to reach the 48 hour limit. Max to date has been about 24 hours. While this is pathetic, I can understand because of all the devices and software installed on this phone makes it one power hungry beast, but it is worth it. I carry a Solio with me: www.solio.com for a top up.

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-11 07:25
No. I dont have a magic phone. And I am not lying. My uptime from full charge is 40-48 hrs. TYpically usage per charge cycle (on 3G): 1-1 hr 20 min calls, 20-30 sms, 20-30min wifi/net, 1 hour min PIMs, about 1 hr music, no gps, no auto-detect wifi, no BT. The first bar dropped after 24 hrs and the rest in the remaining hours.

I use to get only 25-30 hrs previously on the same usage. Then I discovered the screen saver I used (the one that comes with HandyClock) is a power sucker. After gettting rid of it, I got the current usage of 40-48hrs.

The following are progs always running in the background on my phone:-
IVCM
AquaCalendar
Contacts
Log
TaskMan

----

If you dont get this uptime (on my usage level), then I suggest you reexamine your phone to make sure that you dont have power sucking tasks in the background. Get a prog called ActiveFile. This prog can show CPU usage/load of each task since task started. Go thru each task and check which one is a processor hogger. (btw: the biggest cpu hogger on my phone is the system task "Menu")

sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-11 16:36

On 2007-05-11 07:25:18, mib1800 wrote:
No. I dont have a magic phone. And I am not lying. My uptime from full charge is 40-48 hrs. TYpically usage per charge cycle (on 3G): 1-1 hr 20 min calls, 20-30 sms, 20-30min wifi/net, 1 hour min PIMs, about 1 hr music, no gps, no auto-detect wifi, no BT. The first bar dropped after 24 hrs and the rest in the remaining hours.

I use to get only 25-30 hrs previously on the same usage. Then I discovered the screen saver I used (the one that comes with HandyClock) is a power sucker. After gettting rid of it, I got the current usage of 40-48hrs.

The following are progs always running in the background on my phone:-
IVCM
AquaCalendar
Contacts
Log
TaskMan

----

If you dont get this uptime (on my usage level), then I suggest you reexamine your phone to make sure that you dont have power sucking tasks in the background. Get a prog called ActiveFile. This prog can show CPU usage/load of each task since task started. Go thru each task and check which one is a processor hogger. (btw: the biggest cpu hogger on my phone is the system task "Menu")

Hey dude,

My mistake I completely for got the "smiley face" when I said magic phone. No harm meant and I do not think you are a liar.

So, now down to biz. Our usage habits are different it seems. I use 3G all the time. My company pays for it and I have an unlimited plan with a dedicate bandwidth. It is pretty cool. While at home, I leave the wife active as I allow Worldmate, and other applications to auto-update. I also use BT as I have a BT headset.

Now you can help me out here. <---------- | ----------->

When you say screen saver, are you talking about the ones that come with the phone, as I use the clock one built in. What is IVCM, and Aqua Calendar? Is ActiveFile free or paid?

Thanks and once again, I did not mean to impugn your credibility.

**Edit** I just installed ActiveFile. Nice program.

From it I see that I have quite a few servers running. I have Fring and iSkoot installed. I also have IM+ installed as well. My company sort of requires that we have IM programs and VOIP so that we can communicate, hence the unlimited 3G access plans.

I also have:
Worldmate
Widsets
AudiblePlayer
Sports Tracker
Amazon Anywhere
MobiReader
Taskman
Podcasting

installed. Of these, can you think of any that might be CPU hogs? I need the IM programs while the Worldmate, Audible and Podcasting are also handy. The others I could get rid of without any real hassle. Thanks for the help.

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2007-05-11 15:50 ]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-12 05:33
@sapporobaby:

No wonder you got so short battery life. If you have your IM/fring/voip server running in the background, then you have to with live the short battery life. I use 3G mostly for video call since it is same price a normal voice call but 3G data rate in my country is "cut-throat".

On screensaver,
If you are using default one (the tiny strip that shows time), then it is not an issue. I can't stand the default one because I can hardly see the time etc. I have install a free LargeTimeScreenSaver.v1.2. (size occupy 1/3 screen). I find this s.s. have a small impact on battery life.

---

Just leave your normal tasks running in the background. In ActiveFile task window, just click on the task and check the cpu usage. Higher number means more processor cycle. Unfortunately ActiveFile cannot track cpu usage by process otherwise you can check the server process usage as well.

On your list, I think the following would impact battery life if you leave them running in background as these apps do periodic connection to Net (without prompting)

Worldmate
Widsets
Amazon Anywhere
Taskman
Podcasting

----

IVCM is a call managment software that allows you to setup white/blacklist/on-phone answering machine/auto record phone/use keytone interaction with caller. It can also schedule your profile.

Aquacalendar is just calendaring software which is much more powerful than the built-in one.

I have many other software installed but I usually dont leave them running in the background.

[ This Message was edited by: mib1800 on 2007-05-12 04:39 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-12 11:06

On 2007-05-12 05:33:52, mib1800 wrote:
@sapporobaby:

No wonder you got so short battery life. If you have your IM/fring/voip server running in the background, then you have to with live the short battery life. I use 3G mostly for video call since it is same price a normal voice call but 3G data rate in my country is "cut-throat".

On screensaver,
If you are using default one (the tiny strip that shows time), then it is not an issue. I can't stand the default one because I can hardly see the time etc. I have install a free LargeTimeScreenSaver.v1.2. (size occupy 1/3 screen). I find this s.s. have a small impact on battery life.

---

Just leave your normal tasks running in the background. In ActiveFile task window, just click on the task and check the cpu usage. Higher number means more processor cycle. Unfortunately ActiveFile cannot track cpu usage by process otherwise you can check the server process usage as well.

On your list, I think the following would impact battery life if you leave them running in background as these apps do periodic connection to Net (without prompting)

Worldmate
Widsets
Amazon Anywhere
Taskman
Podcasting

----

IVCM is a call managment software that allows you to setup white/blacklist/on-phone answering machine/auto record phone/use keytone interaction with caller. It can also schedule your profile.

Aquacalendar is just calendaring software which is much more powerful than the built-in one.

I have many other software installed but I usually dont leave them running in the background.

[ This Message was edited by: mib1800 on 2007-05-12 04:39 ]

Thanks dude for the info.

Question: would it be better then to simply start, Fring, VOIP, Worldmate, et al, when I need them and then just kill them as is in "EXIT" them? Would this help with the battery life? RIght now, I am running a test on the phone. No GPS running, no crazy applications running. Worldmate runs on its own but I can stop the automatic Internet connections.

mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-12 11:40
@sapporobaby:

I think closing the app may help. Unfortunately, some of these apps run server/daemon processes which starts with the phone (and you have no way to stop these unless you uninstalled the apps).

sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-12 13:21

On 2007-05-12 11:40:04, mib1800 wrote:
@sapporobaby:

I think closing the app may help. Unfortunately, some of these apps run server/daemon processes which starts with the phone (and you have no way to stop these unless you uninstalled the apps).

True. I did uninstall the stuff that I have not used, i.e. Podcasts (funny but this app crashes my wifi - Apple Airport Extreme: 802.11N version), and the rest. Since last night, about 12 hours I still have full bars. Made some calls, sent some SMS's, used BT a few times to send files. No constant BT, no wifi searching, and no GPS. I am searching for some higher capacity batteries for this phone.

Just found out that the E65 uses the same battery as the N95, but it has 950 mAH. THe battery is the BL-5F. I will go to Nokia and check this out today.

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2007-05-12 12:25 ]
Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 05:59
Yes! I've recieved my n95 (sand color) this morning.
Yikes the fw still v10.0.0.18 nef to upgrade it!
I tried to enter esato via wap.esato.com but the n95 internal browser always redirect me to www.esato.com! Is it browser error or i need to upgrade my fw?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 10:47

On 2007-05-14 05:59:00, nokiamaniax wrote:
Yes! I've recieved my n95 (sand color) this morning.
Yikes the fw still v10.0.0.18 nef to upgrade it!
I tried to enter esato via wap.esato.com but the n95 internal browser always redirect me to http://www.esato.com! Is it browser error or i need to upgrade my fw?

It is the browser. If you plan to use GPS, you want to upgrade. It improves it a bit.

To maximize your battery life, make sure you follow the instructions posted earlier in this thread.

My battery lasts easily two days when I turn off stuff I don't need. I use the GPS for maybe 20 mins if that, I update Worldmate from home manually. I use Fring, or iSkoot when I know I need to communicate with the office. All of these things take battery power. Without using them, the phone can last quite a bit longer than most people are complaining about.

[ This Message was edited by: sapporobaby on 2007-05-14 09:50 ]
Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 13:52
@sapporobaby
Thx for infos. I think im gonna buy su-8w wireless keyboard. I think its fun to browse website or to type message from a distance while my n95 in tv out mode, like having desktop computer
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2007-05-14 14:21
just needs a wireless mouse too [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic