Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > N95 - new firmware version 11.0.026 is now available

Author N95 - new firmware version 11.0.026 is now available
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-03 14:34
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think it is best you dont restore using Nokia backup (PC suite backup / memory card backup) when you change product code. In fact, DONT restore backup at all. Just sync your PIMs to outlook and sync back later and of course reinstall the progs.

I did not even do change product code and it still mess up the phone after I restored from mem card. Most progs dont work and it screw up the App. Manager. When I open App Manager, the phone hang. And boot-up takes forever (like 3 min). So I reset my phone and restore using the "hard way".
bbasra
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-05-03 14:47
Yes, but i was only going to restore the messages and resinstall everything else? Would this not be okay.

I've just lost the option to move to memory card so thinking this should work.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-03 15:09

CAUTIONARY INFO to share from personal experience (for potential online upgrader)

TAKE OUT mem card before doing upgrade. If you leave the mem card in, after the update is completed the phone runs a prog which tries to read and recover programs which you have installed to mem card. This prog will failed and somehow mess up some system files in memory card. And the phone becomes unstable when used with this mem card. It happened to me. The only way out is to reformat the mem card ==> you will lose all 3rd bundled progs (like Asia Map for our friends in asia) and of course all your painstakingly downloaded Map maps.

AFTER update is completed, DO a "Restore to Factory Settings" (in Settings menu.) Switch off your phone. Only then you put back in your Mem Card. DO NOT restore your backup from your memory card. The restore WILL FAIL anyway (i.e. only PIMs is restored but most installed progs cannot be restored). I experienced the App Manager is screwed up after I restored from mem card. Only a hard reset can fix this.

REMEMBER to sync your PIMs data to Outlook/Lotus before update. Restore your PIMs from your Outlook/Lotus after update. DO make a copy of your mem card to your hard-drive in case your mem card gets corrupted.

shug
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-05-03 21:28
I agree that the back-up procedure can be unstable but it still can save you a lot of time. Just back up the card before you do the phone to card back up. If it goes pear-shaped you haven't lost anything just format the card and restore your files. If you get the failed to install message at start up just note the files that are not installed (in the App Manager) and delete them from the 'Private' folder on the card. You'll need to use a card-reader to view this map.
By the way I managed to restore a phone to card back-up without any problems whatsoever
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-04 04:00
Agree with you that restore mem card backup can save time IF it can restore your installed progs. Unfortunately 80% of installed progs cannot be restored back at all. So you still need to spend time to reinstall your progs. The only thing that got restored back successfully is the PIMs data. But then again, I can alternatively restore these easily by syncing anyway.

sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-05 09:05
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. I am getting the N95 today. How did the upgrade go in helping the GPS and battery issues?
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-05 09:57
GPS is faster to lock on. Battery is about same. Battery life is acceptable for normal use in the first place - about 2 full days (48hrs). Of course if you use wifi/gps battery will deplete fast. Then again show me ONE device that do not!!! My friend's Eten glofish gobbles up battery (1500mAH?) even faster when using wifi/gps than my N95.

Someone posted this but not sure whether it is the official one.

============================================
N95 firmware v11.0.029 changelog

v 11.0.026:

-Telephony
-Improvements to packet data establishment after changing to roaming

network
-Improvements to number grouping
-Improvements to missing calls and new message notifications
-Audio routing improvements
-Say callers name volume increased to match ringing tone volume
-Call reliability improvements

-SIM / U-SAT
-SIM certificates supported
-SIM card registration improvements

-Camera
-Video recording starts faster
-Video stabilization improvements

- Exposure improved
-Lens shading improved
-Video sharpness and noise improved
-Capture tone synchronized with capture moment
-Browser
-Improvements in images visibility in browser
-General stability improvements for browser
-Refreshing web page functionality improvements
-ROP memory handling improvements
-Browser out of memory improvements

-
Messaging
-Out of memory improvements
-VOIP
-Improvements to automatic redial

- WLAN stability improvements
- Product name included for USB mass storage mode
-Improvements to SD backup
-Stability improvements to BT connectivity
- Localization improvements
-Screen saver default value changed from 5min to 1min
-Chinese language typing improvements
-Startup settings updated
-USB stability improvements
-General stability improvements
-Multimedia menu stability improvements
-Multimedia menu startup time improved
- Maps stability improvements
-Barcode reader icon changed Processor

[ This Message was edited by: mib1800 on 2007-05-05 09:02 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-05 19:30
@mib1800,

WOW !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great response. I got the N95, and SE can kiss me goodbye. This phone is pretty outstanding. SE has nothing to touch it.

I did a test between my GPS unit (Garmin GPS Map 60CSx), and the N95. No contest. The Garmin has the best receiver on the market in a handheld, but about a min and 20 seconds later the N95 locked on. It was almost as accurate as well. I still can not believe that Nokia put an inferior chipset in a premium level phone. All in all, my first day is pretty good. Looking forward to taking this puppy out for a spin.

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
Bambino
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-05-06 10:33
Is there any problem with new firmware?
Maybe i keep observing for a week, then its time to purchase!
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-06 12:20

On 2007-05-06 10:33:00, nokiamaniax wrote:
Is there any problem with new firmware?
Maybe i keep observing for a week, then its time to purchase!

Day and a half now. No problems what so ever. Best phone I have had to date. Nokia got it right. The only downside is the fact that they chose to use an inferior GPS chipset, but other than that I am very pleased. Can't put it down.

Gizmo47
P900
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 01:57
I updated my phone and changed the product code all on my mac using parallels and had no problems whatsoever. The phone is definately faster now and i am impressed with the speed nokia released this update.
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 11:08
Gizmo are you using an Intel Mac or PPC? DO you know if Parallels is comptible with PPC Macs? If so, any chance you can give me a detailed guide how to carry out the task. Im using a G5 with Tiger.

Thanks
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 13:20

On 2007-05-08 11:08:39, scouser_75 wrote:
Gizmo are you using an Intel Mac or PPC? DO you know if Parallels is comptible with PPC Macs? If so, any chance you can give me a detailed guide how to carry out the task. Im using a G5 with Tiger.

Thanks

Parallels nor VMware is compatible with the PPC. You need the Mac/Intel processor. I used Parallels as well to upgrade mine and it worked like a charm.

scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 13:33
Thanks Sapporobaby. Any option for us PPC users?
shug
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-05-08 17:20
Bootcamp?

Edit: sorry that's Intel.

[ This Message was edited by: shug on 2007-05-08 16:23 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic