Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > US not following world standards

Author US not following world standards
woutervg
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-11-14 15:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Mobile technology would be much better if you would have more providers.... Here in the EU we have 3-6 providers per state.

This post was posted from a T68i

snap-hiss
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-14 15:52
The main problem and reason the US isn't up to speed with Europe and Asia is because our population is very resistant to change reguarding technology compared to those countrys. AT&T WS has actually slowed down their full 3G development to first completely implement their 2.5 G systems simply because they felt that the population wouldn't be ready for it. It's sad, but this is our problem.

!snap
gadgetboytom
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-14 15:55
its like the pal - ntsc thing
and the radio freqency thing
and the hdtv thing

they always get it wrong!!

keep up u.s!!!
P1i and E51
porterg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-14 18:07
You have to consider that prior to this century, what the carriers and users wanted was better coverage and more minutes for the money. The manufacturers threw more features on phones, but, unlike the people who come to this website, most US users want more minutes and better coverage. I hear it EVERY day I work. (I work for a carrier). They don't care about MMS, photo messaging, SMS, GPRS, etc. They don't even program more then a few #'s into the phone. Computer internet is so readily available the it really isn't an option that most users care about nor want. Most don't want to spend money on a phone, and the more bells and whistles, the more $. The last 5 phones we got are priced at $49, $99, $199, $249, and $299. Most don't care. What they want is to be able to place long distance calls from their homes.
Deric
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-11-14 19:55
AT&T doesn't call it 3G, but 2.5 I agree that some other carriers are in the worng by calling it 3G, but on the whole are using "3g" as a buzzword to attract a larger customer base.

For the most part the US is not ready for 3G. Our customers are not picking up on 2.5G as they were expected, and as you know that pulls from the revenue that we'd use to fund a 3G conversion

Deric
snap-hiss
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-14 20:52
You're totally correct Deric. It just comes down the the fact that Americans are just too resistant to changes in technology. The speaker at the meeting mentioned that the implamentation of the new full 3G technology was posponed in AT&T because they know customers arn't ready. He also mentioned a trip he took to Japan where he was extreemly surprised at the amount of SMS usage. SMS accounts for nearly 15% of the total wireless reveunes in Japan. They just use these features all the time. Their lifestyles are much more mobile then ours on average.

The change will come in the US, it's just going to take some time. I think within 2 years or so some areas in Asia and Europe will totally drop all land line phone systems. If a mass migration to wireless only does occur in these countries I would think it would become world news and may fuel a similar event in the US. We'll have to wait and see.

!snap

[ This Message was edited by: snap-hiss on 2002-11-14 19:54 ]
Pistvakten
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-14 21:17
AT&T is currently building a WCDMA "trial net" concisting of 100+ WCDMA 1900MHz RBS:es somewhere in the Dallas area. If you didn't know it already ???

Quote:

On 2002-11-07 21:20, porterg wrote:
Coming in a little late in the chat, but one of the biggest things that is starting to happen to cell towers is conversion to GSM 850mhz. For the US, this will be huge: 850mhz will have a bigger radius per tower then 1900mhz, and better building penetration. The military really doesn't want to give up it's 2 to 3 ghz frequencies, but the FCC is going to start releasing those blocks soon. From my point of view, that is the last thing we in the US need, unless you really want more high tech, vs just coverage (which is what most US citizens want, especially with LD being part of most calling plans.)

amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-17 02:05
Hawaii would be a great area to build a test network considering its topography. But as usual we are left behind. Hopefully, the developers and providers will see the benefits of implementing test grounds in Hawaii within the near future.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi