Forum > Regional > Americas > US not following world standards

1234  Next
Author US not following world standards
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 20:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Why don't service providers in the US follow world standards on cellular technology? I see Sprint saying that their 2.5G phones are 3G even though they are not. In LAPTOP magazine they even said that SE T68i is a 3G phone. I've seen other claims like this from both service providers and retailers. Do they think they will increase sales by bending the truth???
n|ck_xp
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 20:49
Not all the companys.
T-Mobile USA owned by T-Mobile De in Germany is gonna follow the Europian standards fot the 3G.
Here in the USA T-Mobile was the first company who offer Wap then GPRS, SMS, and now is the only company who offer real MMS servise just 3 months after the MMS launch in Europe...!!!!!
That's are just COOl!!!
Stay tune with T-Mobile and you have nothing to miss!!!!!
woutervg
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 20:54
It only shows that the Americans think they rule the world, and can make their own rules.... In fact their a lot less developed in mobile communication then they think....

This post was posted from a T68i

amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-05 23:30
Yes, T-Mobile do follow world telecom standards and unlike Sprint adhere to them well. I do use T-Mobile and have noticed a great improvement since DT bought Voicestream.
wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-06 00:52
harsh comments - america should get with it - brick phones analog networks - they are well behind - i feel sorry for u guys.

This post was posted from a Nokia

wapchimp
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-06 00:54
i thought u were the most demanding consumers in the world??? demand a better service - kick ass

This post was posted from a Nokia

amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 04:52
orangeman> a lot has happened this year and it is not as bad as you think. There might be a lack of gadgets and phones. However, I travel frequently between US and Europe and one thing that works much better in the US is GPRS. Much faster connection.

On a different note...it seems like the US are focusing more on wireless broadband than 3G. 802.11 networks are being installed everywhere. I have a T-Mobile wireless broadband account and can take my PDA or laptop to any Borders bookstore, Starbucks coffee shop, and the major airports to connect instantly to internet with broadband speed. Wireless broadband might have a brighter future than 3G.
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 09:49
@amagab, interesting that you mention that GPRS is much faster in the US - I haven't noticed that at all compared to Europe. I've been told by an engineer that all US carriers are restricted to 2-1 timeslots by the FCC but can't confirm it. I asked about it in the following topic but haven't heard anything:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=12756&forum=31

It's true that WiFi is much more widespread in this country than Europe but it really isn't comparable to true mobile technology. There will never be widespread WiFi coverage which could challenge GSM and its successors and it isn't meant to. I expect WiFi to have continued growth as a standard for corporate and consumer wireless LANs but public access WiFi points will eventually disappear when 3G networks and handsets finally gain momentum.
T68m -> R2F0004 on Cingular - I want my MMS!
gsmwraith
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-06 09:53
I will say it if no other Americans will, we are ASS BACKWARD when it comes to mobile phones and technology, I mean AT&T has just really got GSM going this year how long has the rest of the world had it??

I mean i love the T68i, and I cant wait for more phones to come out, the technology is awsome, all the things that can be done and will be able to be done are just amazing.

Isnt true mobile to mobile video conversations one of the goals of true 3g??

T68i AT&T
Chatboard
ICT-13
Waiting for the P800.........
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 10:15
The US still lags behind most of the world in mobile technology because:

-The US government hasn't subsidized or forced network operators to implement one particular technology as most other countries have done with GSM. They decided to let competition pick the best winner, which usually works, but in this case has slowed down an entire industry. We now have a fragmentation of mobile technology instead of a focus on one standard which would have been better. Hindsight is always 20/20...

-American consumers love gadgets but until recently have primarily used their phones for nothing other than making phone calls. I personally believe that American corporations have failed to recognize how desireable features such as SMS and WAP are. To this day, advertisements in the US focus almost entirely on "voice quality" than anything else. Mobile phones have only recently started to be marketed as something more than a phone which can take and send pictures or play games. As mainstream consumers become aware of these features they will start getting used more. Marketing 101.

With the shift to GSM as a standard and more capable, color handsets hitting the market, the US may finally start catching up with the rest of the world!
T68m -> R2F0004 on Cingular - I want my MMS!
porterg
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 15:17
Let me add a couple things. 2 other reasons for network lag is money and NIMBY. As far as money, there are HUGE areas in which to develop network, and it is not cheap to put up a network in the US. Most analog based carriers have limited digital: in rural areas, forget it. As a matter of fact, the FCC said that analog only towers can be turned off 5 years from last July. They will do it. And why spend huge amounts of cash when less then 10% of US consumers what wireless internet? And, according to the latest poll, 13% want sms? For NIMBY, means not in my backyard. US users want coverage, but then complain about seeing towers. As I told a city councilman, he cannot have it both ways (he voted against a tower inside his town).

As far as any elitist attitude, don't blame the consumers for the over-inflated advertising. Most of the US advertising is like that. Have y'all ever seen our rediculous car ads?
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 15:55
One must also consider the size of North America and it's scarce population compared to areas in Europe and Asia. Also, North America doesn't seem to be as fond as the little gadgets that the rest of the world appreciates so much. I know tons of people who still use phones from 2-3 years ago.... with no intention of changing it... it's just a different world.... in England I know lots of people who carry 2 phones one for text and the other to talk. I don't think there is 1 person in North America that deos that..

Just my thoughts,

dragoneye
Owen
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-06 16:11
@woutervg
I agree with you. It seems that the US of A want to be different from all other countries... They're against a European system for global navigation (just like GPS), they use GSM1900 instead of the GSM900/GSM1800 standards, have NTSC (eg Japan) as TV signal (in most continental countries we use PAL which is better), they use 110 Volts and we 220 Volts, they think making war is the only way to make people listen to them (BUSHHHHH).... Hehehehe... And there are so many arrogant Americans who actually think that the US rules the rest of the world (of course not all of them).

Cheers
Owen den Engelsman
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-06 16:43
Paranoid

[ This Message was edited by: Bjerkebanen on 2002-12-01 19:34 ]
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-06 21:26
I have not used GSM in NYC but in a lot of other cities in the US on the T-Mobile and Cingular network and I would say the coverage is pretty good. As someone said earlier - it is hard to cover such a large nation as the US.

Regarding packets> I found it odd too that my GPRS experiences have been better in the US even though providers support less packets compared to Europe. My explanation would be that Europe is more dense - more users per tower. The European networks often get crowded and that slows down connection speed.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi