jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 03:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2002-11-06 16:11, Owen wrote:
@woutervg
I agree with you. It seems that the US of A want to be different from all other countries... They're against a European system for global navigation (just like GPS), they use GSM1900 instead of the GSM900/GSM1800 standards, have NTSC (eg Japan) as TV signal (in most continental countries we use PAL which is better), they use 110 Volts and we 220 Volts, they think making war is the only way to make people listen to them (BUSHHHHH).... Hehehehe... And there are so many arrogant Americans who actually think that the US rules the rest of the world (of course not all of them).

Cheers

Owen, one thing that's different in the US is that the government doesn't impose standards or technologies like they tend to do in European countries. They usually choose to let market forces decide what works best, which often leads to slower implementations of standards.

Where have you heard that Americans are against a European GPS system? Just wondering because I haven't heard anything like that.

I have heard that GSM1900 is better suited to covering large areas which is a geographical consideration in a large country like the US.

NTSC broadcast format is not used only by the US and Japan. In fact, there are 3 formats being used widely in the world and none of them have become a world standard like GSM. Have a look at this map to get a better picture of things. I agree that PAL is better than NTSC or SECAM.

Just because Holland uses 220v current doesn't mean it's a world standard. In fact, 110v and 220v are both used by many countries around the world. Have a look at this table to see what I mean.

There are more Americans who aren't even aware of the rest of the world than those who think they rule it. Most are far more interested in making money, hehe. I sure wish people here had a better understanding of world events...

Last time I was in Amstelveen, most people were still speaking Dutch!

Jeff
T68m -> R2F0004 on Cingular - I want my MMS!
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 03:26
To my knowledge the US had to go with the 1900 frequency because of the Department of Defense didn't want to let go of their frequencies. Telecom had the same problems with the 3G bands.
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 03:45
amagab, I just read the same thing.

Is it true that the license auctions have concluded for 3G frequencies in the US? I hope the DOD doesn't hinder that as well...
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 04:39
I can't prove this but last thing I heard was that the Clinton administration forced DOD to give up frequencies for the US 3G networks. In these arms buildup days I wonder if Bush would have done the same thing. Hopefully, most service providers will go with WCDMA.
gsmwraith
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-07 05:24
Still kinda new to all this stuff whats the difference between GSM/3G/WCDMA ?
T68i AT&T
Chatboard
ICT-13
Waiting for the P800.........
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 10:32
GSM is the current standard which is 2G. GPRS is the packet-based upgrade to GSM networks and is considered 2.5G. You could say that Sprint's PCS network is also 2.5G since it has similar data speeds even though their newer handsets are more advance than most GPRS handsets. Sprint likes to call their network 3G but as amagab pointed out, that's marketing BS. WCDMA is the true 3G technology that everyone is waiting for. It'll provide far greater data bandwidth. 3G handsets will take advantage of the bandwidth and have more features than anything we have today.
gsmwraith
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-07 10:46
Ok thanks, just wondering, so AT&T is 2.5G ??

And i assume these features woudl be true videoconferencing , and other features??
T68i AT&T
Chatboard
ICT-13
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:01
I'm not sure about true video-conferencing although that would be really sweet. We'll probably see something with pretty low frame-rates. Having true streaming video being up- and downloaded simultaneously might be too much even for 3G. But 4G networks are already being tested...

We'll definitely see one-way streaming video downloads, online multi-player games, and media-rich browser environments similar to the true WWW. Japan already has that with their i-mode technology. That's why they have a market for mobile phones which are so much cooler than anywhere else. It'll be a while (we're talking years) before we get that far.
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:03
gsmwraith> let me answer your question in a very short simple way:

GSM: is the digital mobile phone system that is supported in Europe, most of Asia, Australia, and by some poviders in the US (T-Mobile, Cingular, and to some extent AT&T).

3G: is the new technology that will enable mobile phones to support streaming video (video conference calls, TV, etc). 3G is short for third generation.

WCDMA: is the 3G technology that is supported by GSM providers. The other alternative is CDMA2000, which is the technology that Sprint and Qualcom supports.
gsmwraith
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:03
Looks like I might need to move!!!
T68i AT&T
Chatboard
ICT-13
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:09
Japan are very fortunate to be such a small country. They can implement new technology very fast. Wish the rest of the world had iMode too. However, it's annoying not being able to use my GSM phone when travelling there.
gsmwraith
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:14
@ama ===>> Do you have to buy a phone when you travel there or do they "rent" them.??

just wondering.
T68i AT&T
Chatboard
ICT-13
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:19
Well, most of my travelling has been in GSM markets. So I just bring my excellent T68i. Going to Japan you would have to rent a phone. However, they are currently installing the WCDMA technology so when the 3G phones are on the market you'll be able to use them there too.
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:31
amagab, some carriers in Europe have been offering i-mode since this summer. It isn't the same as in Japan - it runs on GPRS. But the content is the same since i-mode is just a content protocol and has the potential to work with any phone that supports cHTML. I'm hoping we'll see i-mode here long before 3g gets implemented. Especially since DoCoMo, who developed i-mode, owns part of AT&T wireless.

Hmm, as an island, maybe Hawaii would be a good place to test 3G in the US...
amagab
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-11-07 11:46
It sure would be...if only they would understand that. No one cares about Hawaii. It's just an island far out somewhere... Problem is also that even the people here don't care. I'm constantly trying to explain to people here that there is technology beyond 2G. People don't understand that there is a great potential for development here in Hawaii. Maybe with the new governor there will be some positive change. That is a political issue...and I can go on and on with that...but this is not really a forum for that kind of discussion.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi