Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > At exactly what point did we abandon reason for MADNESS?

Author At exactly what point did we abandon reason for MADNESS?
Dart5
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-05-29 12:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2006-05-29 01:14:55, PeterKay wrote:
Thats a load of bollocks mate.

Axxxr's work here on Esato is brilliant and very imformative.

Title of News Editor has only one worthy name and that is Axxxr.

If you don't like his work, don't read it.

Esato would not be the same without him.

Instead of telling Scots to not read Axxxrs postings if he doesn't like them, why don't you tell yourself not to read Scots postings as you clearly don't like them?

[ This Message was edited by: Dart5 on 2006-05-29 11:43 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-29 13:18
I can't believe this topic hasn't been locked.

Scotsboyuk and london-uk raise valid points; I think it's appropriate that at this point a Moderator step in to clarify whether Axxxr still has the support of the Esato staff and comment on where the boundarys lie.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-05-29 14:15
again the point ive been rasing through out this thread. axxxr can post whatever he wants for me but he shouldnt post it as -
a. esato news reporter if its his own personal opinion unless of course his views represnt esato in which case fine
b. its not news per say its personnal opinions on america and israel

again i ve no problem with his views if i dont like them i just put my opinion.
however to the people who say if you dont like it dont read it fair point however were nt you the same people who were outraged over the danish cartoons and when it was suggested by others you didnt read it you said it was impossible to do that?
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-05-29 15:04
my post got deleted
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-05-29 15:46
Axxxr pm'd me asking for support and what my opinion is of all this. Well, my opinion is, don't go around pm'ing everyone looking for support! Doing that just lost you a lot of respect from me, buddy. Everyone knows that you and Scotty enjoy a good ding-dong battle across the ether, but don't go all Don King and try to promote your fights...
Hello, Scroto!

U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, you ugly!
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-29 16:00
could it be that he pmed a person to ask what their opinion was and seeing that he considered you a friend, assumed you'd back his views?

Uh oh, someone is making sense here!
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-29 22:36
But wouldn't it be just soooo much more gratifying to have people actually back up your arguments and not have to drag them down here because they're sposed to be your buds?

Seriously.... a valid argument speaks volumes.... uh oh! Who's talking sense now?

Quote:

On 2006-05-28 20:27:31, fatreg wrote:
couldnt give a flying beeeeeeeep who started the 7/11 attacks

Ignorance must be bliss
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-05-29 23:48
I think this discussion demonstrates why political and religious subjects should be forbidden here at Esato. The subject mentioned in Godwin’s Law As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one has moved from the subject Nazism to Bush, Israel, Palestine terrorists and Iraq. It is probably inevitable in all discussion forums.

Most people come here to have a discussion about mobile phones and others come for the chit-chat. All members are entitled to an opinion and should, to an extent, be able to express them self in this forum.

This war of opinion has turned out to be a fight between axxxr and scotsboyuk. I agree that it is sometime difficult to see if axxxr is wearing the "news reporter" badge or when he is not. On the other side, almost every member who found this thread buried inside the Non Mobile Discussion-forum has a 500+ post count and I think all of them know how to separate axxxr's member writing and the things he do in the news section. axxxr has been an appreciated news reporter and has contributed with much of the information here. scotsboyuk is also a well respected member in my eyes. I might have missed many of their disputes because I tend to look the other way when they throw in a flamebait. They both write them and both of the bites willingly. I think it adds a little spice to the community.

As I see it, there are two ways I can solve this challenge.
1. Deny political/religious posts entirely in the forum. Moving the political/religious threads into the "non mobile discussion"-forum obviously did not work out very well. The "hard to find" forum was not hidden well enough. This is the easy (for me and the mods) way.
2. Permit such discussions and just let them be entirely non-moderated (almost like they are today)

I try not to focus on who is to blame here: the Anti-wing or the Anti-Anti-fraction. My concern is how I can encourage members to behave properly in this forum in the future. I am also very tired of solving this kind of "trouble" every third month. And it should not be necessary to send me PM to do lobbyism for a certain fraction. I have my own political opinions but I will go somewhere else to discuss them.

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2006-05-29 22:50 ]
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-30 00:38
@vlam, I think you need to re-read what I wrote, because I'm definately sure you misunderstood.

what I was saying is that he asked the person for an opinion.
He assumed that person's opinion would be backing his views, not because he was a friend, but because he thought he knew that person's motives.

I think fatreg was being funny though with his comment that you quoted. 7/11 = a store (sorry if you knew that, it's hard to know who's joking and who's serious these days)

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2006-05-29 23:43 ]
Syrus_20
P900
PM
Posted: 2006-05-30 01:23
lol yeah amnesia, sarcasm is a little harder to see in writting sometimes...thats why id normally include (!) or /sarcasm when i am being lol

Anyway seeing as scots & axxxr havnt posted in a while...why not just lock the thread cause everyone else is fighting their battles for them which arnt even necessary.

Dont see why people are launching personal attacks anyway...i mean how can you when you dont even know the person (most people that is) in the flesh...?

Anyway let it be, and let no more personal attacks last out cause theres no place for it.

Stongly recommend that this thread is locked Mods!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-05-30 08:26
Right. It seems that contributions to this thread are just about exhausted and I’ve now read through this lot and I can come to only one conclusion myself… this thread, but more importantly the topics at issue, do not belong on Esato and its time to end this and as this conclusion is shared by laffen, such threads will no longer be allowed here.

Esato is primarily a mobile phone forum and that is usually what brings people here, but in order to provide some feeling of community with a view to a little fun outside of mobile topics we have the regional, non mobile and to a lesser extent, the garbage forums.

I don’t feel that threads with highly contentious issues have a place here and this has been proved time and time again. One argument given here is that members should not read these threads if they disagree that they should be posted on Esato, however it is the nature of these contentious threads that make them so compelling and difficult to stay away from and subsequently also to post on.

At the end of the day there are far better places for these kinds of discussions and I’m sure a better quality discussion can be had there, but not only that, a far better moderation by someone who actually has an interest in the topics. Tranquil has often dealt with threads of this nature but he doesn’t have so much time any more and, like me, it would seem that the other moderators, have no desire to deal with the fallout of such clearly controversial threads.

I'm not going to give a list of specific topics that will not be allowed but clearly religious discussion is at the top of the list as is discussion of the wrongs or rights of any particular culture, nationality, war etc. I also think we have had more than our fair share of George Bush threads.

From now on let’s please leave non mobile discussion to light hearted, friendly banter and topics and chat which don’t alienate other members or which cause such controversy that flame wars are inevitable.

We thank you for your understanding and cooperation
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic