Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > At exactly what point did we abandon reason for MADNESS?

Author At exactly what point did we abandon reason for MADNESS?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 12:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've had enough. Enough of threads created simply to denigrate and discriminate against a certain country or people. You all know what country I'm talking about. And you all know who you are.

Where exactly do people get off on slagging off Israel, which seems to be the latest fashionable fad here. As I stated in one thread, it's like they are the 'Evil Empire' and the whole Islamic world is the 'Rebel Alliance'. Why is everyone making Israel out to be the only aggressor here when it's going both ways? Whenever anyone points this salient fact out they get flamed and accused of being a 'Zionist'.

Now before anyone gets into their X-Wing and shoots me down in flames, I am NOT condoning what Israel does, nor indeed what Palestinian extremists do. I am getting heartily p1ssed off with all the 'cut and paste' articles out of leftie publications like The Guardian which have their own agendas and biases, which then start off the predictable and identikit responses that we have had in many other threads of this ilk, and start discussions/flame wars that end up going exactly the same way.

In fact I might find and revive Scotsboyuk's 'Guide to enraged posting' as it seems quite apt.

Now, I am not from Israel, nor do I have any links to that area. I am not 'pro-Israeli', nor am I 'pro-Palestine'. I am also not a religious person. There are two sides to a story, no one side is 100% in the right or 100% in the wrong. Why can't people take a balanced view and take the other side's opinions and points into consideration instead of replying simply accusing them of being anti semetic/anti Islam/anti any other bloody thing else they can think of.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-26 12:48
Amen to that!
Sir-SonyEricsson-man
Xperia Arc Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 12:56
Yes amen.. I even don't care whats up down there.. I have my own problems here so..
Sony Xperia 1 II, Xperia 5, Huawei P30 Pro
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 13:02
All I would like to see in these discussions is some empathy and common sense, especially when dealing with someone else's viewpoint.

There seems to be an increase in religious intolerance and bigotry in these threads, which isn't acceptible anywhere, let alone a MOBILE PHONE forum.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 13:03
Every soul has it's on concern,
and we should all become one,
to kick out all the terrorism,
and enjoy life with peace & fun.

not a poet, just made that up!
WelshTom
K610 silver
PM
Posted: 2006-05-26 13:44
I agree with what you are saying. However my main gripe is simply "At exactly what point did esato become a religon forum?" these threads wind me up for a number of reasons. Firstly esato is a mobile phone forum, i don't want to come here and find the forum clogged up with political and religous threads. If i wanted to read and engage in such discussions i would go find a forum that covers these points. Secondly as you point out these threads are never started from an impartial point of view - which is wrong for the person startin the thread. I then believe in the right of free speech and so am happy for anyone to voice their opinions in reply to the opening of the thread. and finally these threads are just pointless as because this is a mobile phone forum i think that many of the replies are written by people who do not know the basic details let alone the full 'in's and out's' of the topic, hence ill informed replies are made. This is why there is no point debating these topics on esato. They should be debated in an arena that attracts the people who fully understand the topic and are able to logically argue their point and specifically address any points raised by people with differing points of views. This is never going to happen on esato - so i guess my main problem is i don't see what the original posters think they are going to acheive with these threads.

Don't get me wrong one or two threads of this nature on BIG events that occur are fine and informative but the level that have been posted recently i think just clogg up the forum and detract from it's aim - mobile phone discussion!

Just my 2pence worth,
Tom
WelshTom
K610 silver
PM
Posted: 2006-05-26 13:48
I also forgot to mention that i rarely post in any political or religous threads as i do not, and have never pretended to, know the subjects in enough detail. Sure i know what i read in papers and see in the news - but even this is rarely enough information to know these subjects well enough to debate them - far more research needs to be done.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 13:59
Sammy_boy i can fully understand your frustration in this matter..and i do agree on some of the points you mentioned,but due to varying opinions from members sometimes we don't always like what we read...but we should respect people's choices.

Now Israel and the Palestinian issue is a sensitive matter and most do not understand the complexity of the issue and and quite easyily support either side,myself sideing with the Palestinians.Its nice to stay \"fair and balanced\" in such debates but its not always possible. [addsig]
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 14:01
i have to admit that I tend to generally post my opinion rather than from articles (which aren't immune to being innacurate and are often biased anyway) when I do post in these kinds of threads.

I'm not saying ban the threads, just show some tolerance towards others' opinions and viewpoints and not flame them just because they are disagreed with.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 16:26
@Sam

You are being completely rediculous! Why shouldn't people be allowed to make as many political threads as they like? Surely you can see how silly you are being? If you want to discuss mobile phones then I suggest you go to a mobile phone forum ... what's that? ... oh I must apologise, I have just been informed that apparently Esato is a mobile phone forum!

Joking aside, we have been here many times. It is the exact same story; for some reason known only to themselves certain members seem to feel that a mobile phone forum is the place to go to post a spiel about the injustices of the world. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to go to a mobile phone forum to ... well ... post about mobile phones.

Now of course we inevitably have the 'freedom of speech' defence for the political threads. By all all means air your views, but do we have to have thread upon thread upon thread upon thread upon thread upon thread of them? The other point is of course that the political-religious posters only seem to respect freedom of speech when it is in their favour, when someone comes along and intoduces a crazy notion like providing evidence to support their claims they don't seem to like that and more often than not resort to either obfuscation of the facts; repeating their mantra or misrepresenting the situation.

Now on the subject of the Israeli-Palestinian discussions, at which point did Esato take on the responsibility for handling Palestinian propoganda? Is there a reason we have so many threads on this issue on a mobile phone forum? Have the authors not heard that there are dedicated political forums on the internet? Perhaps laffen has been given a veto on the UN Security Council and thus we are seeing an attempt to influence him? Beyond that I can really only think of one plausible explanation as to why we have so many of these threads ...

... Esato is being used as a soapbox. The political demagogues make their posts under the pretence of freedom of speech and open discussion, in reality they simply want people to agree with them and don't care for the annoying part when someone actually does want to discuss the issue. Look at their threads, they give each other pats on the back, another post to further the cause of turning Esato into a political soapbox.

Now I have been a member of this forum too long to actually give a tuppence about what anyone thinks of me so I am going to be frank.

It should not surprise any of you to learn that the worst of the lot in my opinion is axxxr, Esato's news editor. Now to me the term 'news' implies some measure of objectivity and the fact that he is a member of Esato's staff should also mean that he doesn't embroil himself in arguments or degrade the forum in any way. Quite on the contrary, you couldn't find a more biased person if you asked turkeys if Christmas dinner should be scrapped. It isn't just that he is biased, he also posts bile; paranoid delusional views that feed into the conspiracy theories that make up his world view.

In addittion there is also the fact that as a member of staff he frequently engages in arguments (most recently with myself). I don't think this is a particularly good way for a member of staff to behave. What does it say about Esato when one of its members of staff is posting hate filled theories and arguing with members? I can't say it leaves a very good impression with me and to be perfectly honest I rather wonder why laffen allows it to continue.

axxxr isn't the only one though, there are a group of biased and uninformed members who seem to feel that it is their duty to harangue the forum with their chosen cause. Thread after thread of biased rants, in aid of what? Recently we have dealer3, who presumably has just bought a subscription to the Guardian and is determined to get his money's worth.

Perhaps at some point the sane members of Esato will realise what a terribly disservice these damgogues are doing to this forum.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-09-26 04:30 ]
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-05-26 16:35
can i just add, scottsboy i have respect for you as youve been here for a lot longer than you (which in reality means nothing as its a forum and time spent here menas nothing), but i dont know why you have such a problme with axxxr.... some of us like the thigs he puts here... if you dont couldnt you make your own life easier and just avoid his topics.... by all means read them but you tend to bite at things he says....

I questioned and questioned the 9/11 theory and to be honest axxxr helped me to believe there is more to it than meets teh eye, i used to be very naive and believe anything really, so as a positive point, i have axxxr to thank for making me look deeper into things....

Since when did things have to get so serious on esato? rememeber guys and girls were on teh interent, take things with a pinch of salt......

group hug anyone?
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 16:45
Quote:

On 2006-05-26 16:35:35, leeboy13 wrote:
but i dont know why you have such a problme with axxxr.... some of us like the thigs he puts here... if you dont couldnt you make your own life easier and just avoid his topics.... by all means read them but you tend to bite at things he says....

I don't have a problem with axxxr, I simply dislike him. The reason why is very simple; he is a biased paranoid hate filled egotistical political demagogue who tarnishes the good name of this forum.

I did once ignore his posts. I once asked for political posts to be banned. That didn't find much support, so I moved to having them limited. That too didn't work so I even spoke to axxxr directly and asked him to tone things down a bit. That too didn't meet with much success. Confrontation was not my first choice, I did look to other options.

Quote:

I questioned and questioned the 9/11 theory and to be honest axxxr helped me to believe there is more to it than meets teh eye, i used to be very naive and believe anything really, so as a positive point, i have axxxr to thank for making me look deeper into things....

You can believe the sky is made of candy floss for all I care, I don't take any great interest in what other people believe. What I do take an interest in is people spreading hate filled nonsense on this forum. Do you share some of axxxr's other views? Things like America planning a Holocaust against Muslims?

Quote:

Since when did things have to get so serious on esato?

One wonders indeed!

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-05-26 15:46 ]
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-05-26 16:56
i do like some of these thread but i do agree to a certain extent with where scotsboy is coming from
recently i ve seen something i truley dislike creeping into esato and it aint politcs its called racism.
yes ive said i can imagine lots of people getting ready to defend themsleves and claim there not racist but your out there and your posting in this forum you may think your been quite cute about it but your really not.
ive no objection to people pointing out incidents that occur around the world that happen that some of use never get to hear about however i dont need to be told afterwards that all isreals deserve to be bombed on a bus because one idiot cant keep his gun in his pants.
just like i accept that not all muslims are suicide bombers just because a few idiots decided on7/7 to blow up parts of london.
leeboy13
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-05-26 16:59
[quote]
On 2006-05-26 16:45:16, scotsboyuk wrote:

You can believe the sky is made of candy floss for all I care, I don't take any great interest in what other people believe. What I do take an interest in is people spreading hate filled nonsense on this forum. Do you share some of axxxr's other views? Things like America planning a Holocaust against Muslims?

lmao off mate, sorry like but being as you couldnt care less your asking me a question....... so you care to some extent - again, thats neither hear nor there... To me, axxxr helps peopel to think, he has never forced his beliefs on me, nor would i ever imagine him to....

I cant see why you would have the problems yuo have pal? seriously, isnt he and everyone else entitled to their own opinions etc... i mean you are... so why aint they mate? soemthings youve said before ive found quite profound, and yet some ive found not some ermmmm good, but all in all thsi is what makes a good debate isnt it? afterall we are in teh 'mobile free zone'

Any way, my pervious and this post is not a dig at you mate in anyways.... just wish people would let people be themselves... I give you credit mate as you do normally back your arguements up to the grave.....

(i know ive posted some utter rubbish pointless topics recently but that was merley because i saw so many people bored or in topics practically talking to themsleves.....) and my spelling it awful.. i know......

@slattery, i havent noticed any racisium personally but your are right to say that that can not be tollerated.....

[ This Message was edited by: leeboy13 on 2006-05-26 16:01 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-26 17:08
Quote:

On 2006-05-26 16:59:09, leeboy13 wrote:

lmao off mate, sorry like but being as you couldnt care less your asking me a question....... so you care to some extent - again, thats neither hear nor there... To me, axxxr helps peopel to think, he has never forced his beliefs on me, nor would i ever imagine him to....

It was a rhetorical question.

As I said, you can believe whatever you wish, that is none of my business. However, I do take exception to people spoiling this forum with politicising and hate filled paranoia.

Quote:

I cant see why you would have the problems yuo have pal? seriously, isnt he and everyone else entitled to their own opinions etc... i mean you are... so why aint they mate? soemthings youve said before ive found quite profound, and yet some ive found not some ermmmm good, but all in all thsi is what makes a good debate isnt it? afterall we are in teh 'mobile free zone'

I have never said anyone isn't entitled to their own opinion. In fact, even though I think axxxr spouts more crap than a field full of cows with the skids I'd die in a ditch to defend his right to say it. However, that does not mean that we have to read about it on Esato. There is a place for such things and Esato is not that place. There are perfectly good political forums where one can discuss such issues.

Quote:

Any way, my pervious and this post is not a dig at you mate in anyways.... just wish people would let people be themselves... I give you credit mate as you do normally back your arguements up to the grave.....

I did not take your posts as a dig.

Quote:

(i know ive posted some utter rubbish pointless topics recently but that was merley because i saw so many people bored or in topics practically talking to themsleves.....) and my spelling it awful.. i know......

Pointless topics do have a place here, I have posted some of my own in the past.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic