Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Can W800i be used as a Mass Storage Device?

Previous  12
Author Can W800i be used as a Mass Storage Device?
Cisst
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-03 14:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well When I connected my w800 to my home computer (XP) It installed by itself without asking anything. On W2000 however It asked for installation (w update using inet)
Farkad
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-03 19:20
Quote:

On 2006-01-03 11:56:44, isherdholi wrote:
Install the drivers that come with the phone. Then, connect the phone to the PC using the supplied USB cable.

Windows will then recognise it as a mass storage device and give it a drive letter in "My Computer".

You are missing the point. My plan was to be able to carry all sorts of stuff on the phone(like useful programs) and be able to connect it to a computer if the need arises. This, however would be a problem if I need to carry around the drivers CD with me at all times or hope the computer has an internet connection.

Guess my plan won't work after all. I'll have to carry around a bluetooth dongle or a card reader with me.
Thanks for the help, everyone.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-04 02:41
the dongle will only work natively (ie: no extra drivers needed) in Winxp SP2 or later. Atleast the card reader will be a Natively supported mass storage device in Windows 2000 and Windows XP (all versions).

I don't know what these guys posting that it works automatically in Windows XP are on about, since I have tried several XP boxes and never any sign of automatic driver installation. Personally I think either 1. they already installed the driver and forgot, or the driver cd was in the cd drive when they plugged in the cable, or 2. they have update via windows update at some stage and the driver cache was updated.

I wonder about point 2 as I have plugged my K750 into brand new dell boxes and still had to install drivers.

So take my word for it, even if some machines out there will recognise and install your phone, most (including XP) will need the drivers.

Sucks doesn't it I'm a big SE fan, but this is a really stupid ommision on their part.
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-04 07:20
so the conclusion is????

as per W800i is concern... it can be used as a mass storage device but with some considerations!

MAINLY! if the PC to be used is previously installed with the proper SE drivers! (obviously like the only PC youve always been using.. tadaaa! yer own PC that is or with others who has the SE drivers surely ull get the idea)

but take note that W800i, K750i and other SE phones with expansion slots or any other brand that uses MS duo, MMC SD etc etc etc can be used as an storage device.

taking out these expansion cards leaving the phone as a stand-alone still has some considerations in using it as a storage device since it has built in memory capacities, again take into consideration the thing i have said above.

as for me... ive been using my K750 as a storage device for my docs apps installesr stuff lyk that. tho i cannot read them or use them flip flop em within the phone... but what they do is just sit there and when time comes sumone needs em files... then ill transfer via bluetooth (again with some consideration as to the target PC has a dongle blah blah).

oh man do we hafta discuss these?

ok im out! hehehehe
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2006-01-11 13:37
im on xp sp1. My w800 installed itself as a Mass Storage (my SE cd is still sealed and windows update is off). It installed itself as my modem, this that and something else and then Mass Storage. I did have my net connection though, so must be that.
petergent
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-01-29 14:25
indeed after a series of drivers that XP installed (mainly from the cd-rom) i think, i could use my W800 as mass storage.
But i think, for own savety, to just save documents in de 'other' folder.
baste07
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-01-29 14:52
don't understand you you had troubles using is as a flash drive
optiplex
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-01-29 18:21
I’ve tried my K750 on several PCs, most of them required me to install drivers to use it as a mass storage device, but it worked on 2 PCs without drivers (what I mean is it worked with default XP drivers). Out of the two, one had a live internet connection but the new hardware found wizard never ran; and the other PC was a dialup machine which was offline at the time. None of the PCs had any SE software installed nor was a K750/W800 connected before. So I can confirm that it works without installing drivers, but very rarely.

Since it worked on two PCs and since SE claims that it acts as a USB mass storage device, I think it does. Which only leaves me to believe that the problem lies in the way the phone announce it self to XP, maybe XP is detecting other services like modem etc. before it detects the storage device as some people have already mentioned.

I was so thrilled about this feature before buying the phone, cos I thought I could replace both my flash drive and the MP3 player with the phone, but things didn’t exactly turn out the way I hoped. However I managed to get by using the phone as a storage device most of the time cos most of the places have access to the internet.
traveler1234
Z520 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-29 18:32
How about for Macs -- is driver needed?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi