Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > Serious Bluetooth issues with K750/W800

Author Serious Bluetooth issues with K750/W800
happycheesecake
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-28 15:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'll hopefully give you folks some info later once I've tried something supplied by SE to see if it gets around the disconnection issue...

Probably Tuesday or early Wednesday.
...Silver Xperia Arc, 32GB SD card...
Del
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-28 16:02
@happycheesecake

Thanks,

Lets hope it works.
Brought to you straight from the event horizon of a quantum singularity.
onezone
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 12:37
...Looking forward to the update/news.. and lets hope it does.

anyone know if the new 608i ? or K608i (the 3G model) uses the same "new" bluetooth, or does that one connect ok?

floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 12:58
Finally after contacting, Citroen technical in France the route cause of the issues in my bluetooth woes have been discovered.

As someone previously mentioned the K750/W800 is BT 2.0, and the bluetooth built into the car is BT 1.2, which, whilst theoretically compatibile, lacks the full support for BT 2.0 specs, and hence periodically drops the connection.

Answer, get a different phone that supports the 1.2 profile, which I already know, as I have my P910 etc that works perfectly.

The annoying thing is SE continue to claim that the K750 is compatibile with all there BT headsets which clearly it ain't.

What can you do eh!
happycheesecake
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 14:26
@Floatlite - you're talking about a Citroen C4, yes?

Had a PM from a C4 VTR owner with the same issue with a W800i. Also, BMW have stated that the K750/D750/W800 phones are NOT compatible with their cars...

floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 14:51
I am indeed, C4 VTS, it's a pain in the ass, but ahh well, back to trusty P910
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-30 15:20
so who's to blame?

SE, because they bring out phones with the latest technology?

Or the car manufacturer who can't or won't update the bluetooth in a car worth tens of thousands of dollars, making those cars obsolete (in respect of phone integration) and therefore also need to be replaced at the same rate at which one replaces their mobile phone, just to have the latest in mobile phone technology? Or the alternative to keep your nice car for more than two years, and miss out on a great phone?

Man, what a joke. This is NOT a problem with SE phones....
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 15:45
It is a problem in so far that SE are WRONGLY claiming that the product has backwards compatibility with BT 1.1/1.2 devices, including their own headsets and car kits.

It turns out that this is not the case, and the implimented BT tech in the K750 and associated products does not work with these devices in a usable manner.

David
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-30 16:14
Okay I agree it's wrong of SE to claim something that isn't true, but this may not have been intentionally misleading. The EDR issue may have been completely unexpected.

But why shouldn't an $80000 car have upgradeable Bluetooth? It would seem the better way forward for everyone concerned.

At what point does a manufacturer stop being responsible for compatibility of their devices with every other possible device on the market? Ultimately if it is an issue with bluetooth 2.0, the standard of which is designed by a multi-partite industry body, how is SE to blame?

happycheesecake
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 16:33
@Floatlite - try turning on the BT "Power Save" option of your phone before enabling BT and connecting to your car.

It might work. Its meant to disable the phone from linking to multiple devices, and to stop it poling for EDR...
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 19:53
I have just recieved an update for my car, which has addressed some issues with BT, I have also gained a few new features, I can search the entire phone book from my steering wheel, as well as read txt messages on the main HUD of the car. I now get all my voice mail, txt, and some MMS on the car. Full voice dialing is now active as well, and works amazingly well.

I can verbally speak a number and it picks it up and dials it, if it's not in the phone book.

I am going to try the powersave option and see if we get a positive result, good idea. cheers fella!

happycheesecake
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 20:37
I can confirm that the three new phones I'm testing (as part of my job) ALSO have the disconnection issue with the headsets I'm testing against. One is the W550i.

I can also confirm that this ONLY AFFECTS THE BT HEADSET & HANDSFREE PROFILES. I've had a bluetooth link between a K750i and a PDA active for over 72 hours with no disconnection.

have confirmed (well, two of their firmware developers have) that there is "an issue" with the headset & handsfree profiles.

[ This Message was edited by: happycheesecake on 2005-08-31 15:40 ]
floatlite
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-30 20:57
I too have this responce form SE, quote, "we are looking at some discrepincies with compatibility issues"

Seems like they have either not applied some protocols in the way most devices need to operate in a usable manner.

Ah well, I remain hopeful it gets sorted, I have aquired some sat nav to test on my phone (P910) so that'll keep me occupied until SE correct (hopefully!) the issue.

Funnily the P910 with BT 1.2 can maintain a link with my BT GPS reciever and the BT car at the same time, and it works perfectly, it even auto changes between the call and the nav when needed.

The issues of modern tech eh!

which reminds me, I get my official PSP tomorrow from Sony, 1 day before official release, LOL, how generous of them!
j79
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-31 14:21
So nothing more ?

Did SE gave a date for a new firmware which could solve the problem.

That' a shame I'm using the internal HP to phone from my car !!
onezone
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-08-31 14:48
HAPPYCHEESECAKE - BT Headsets are not all that it doesn't work with..

I have a TOMTOM GO 700, and it doesnt work with that either. it will state that it is connected, but you hear nothing from the TOMTOM speaker when you try to make or receive a call.

The tomtom has a BT Handsfree kit built into the unit, works fine with the K700i, and various other models and manufactureres of phones, but not with the K750i or the D750i

I am about to sell me K750i and my D750i as theres no point in having a BT Phone that doesnt work with my BT Car kit,

Have also spoken to TOMTOM, who state they are aware of the issue with the K750/D750, and are currently unable to offer any hope of it working.

Mann... I dunno..
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi