Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K850 Firmware Overview

Visitors browsing this topic: 4
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 695696697  Next
Author K850 Firmware Overview
chrisdaniels
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 05:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just been on a night out with my k850 in my jeans pocket as usual.
i pulled it out and noticed the zero key is starting to come off!!!!
Its litterally falling off. its stuck on with some epoxy glue or something.
I've not hammered this phone either. i only got it last friday!
wtf! i'm not impressed now... its going back to o2 on monday. Come on SE! how many years have u been producing phones?
pissed off..
dcuk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 06:20
I've had one reboot so far.

I don't think the K850i CPU is clocked slower than K800i/K810i it's just that SE have tried to give it to much to do at once, which is also why slower benches and video playback,
the phones software is constantly parsing (checking) the accelerometer checking for any phone rotations (alter display if needed), the front sensor (small hole, top left of front display) is constantly being parsed to see if the LCD back-light illumination needs to be altered depending on ambient lighting conditions, plus the fancy media menus which look nice but also steal CPU cycles,

I mentioned a few days ago one way to make videos play slightly smoother is to disable media menu auto rotation,

a better way to to play your 300Kbps videos in through file manager instead,
first select a video then press centre soft-key 'View' then before pressing 'Play'
press left soft-key 'Options' choose landscape, press 'Play
choose another video using left & right on D pad press centre soft-key to play, normally the video plays in sync (unless play/pause is used then sync goes completely to fix this either restarted video or choose another)

I don't think the standby clock is possible on the K850i,
on the K800i/K810i the standby clock was just normal LCD display showing text without any back-light (some people think the back-light is on low all the time but it's not), the only reason the text is visible is due to the light reflecting grey mirrored style background they used (to make it easier to read text in bright light conditions)
the K850i LCD background is black to give deeper blacks and increased contrast in photographs and videos, the downside being that plain text without back-light illumination wouldn't show even if it was enabled.

[ This Message was edited by: dcuk on 2007-10-21 05:25 ]
SE freak
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 09:07
Don't know if this is only the voda R1CA029

If you compose a normal text message and select a lot of people you want to send it to (I chose 17).

After choosing the recipients and selecting them, the screen will show you how many people you have selected but the icon will show you that you are going to send a MMS.

If you then choose to the edit message the screen will flash MMS and if you try to send the SMS/MMS what ever it is, it will fail.

This is my second K850 on voda it happens to anyone else experience this on other networks/fw?
Halal monitoring Committee

T68i-> T300-> T610-> P910i-> W800i-> P990i + HBH-610a-> K850-> BB Bold 9700 + jawbone->
Ridahz
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 13:57

On 2007-10-21 09:07:52, SE freak wrote:
Don't know if this is only the voda R1CA029

If you compose a normal text message and select a lot of people you want to send it to (I chose 17).

After choosing the recipients and selecting them, the screen will show you how many people you have selected but the icon will show you that you are going to send a MMS.

If you then choose to the edit message the screen will flash MMS and if you try to send the SMS/MMS what ever it is, it will fail.

This is my second K850 on voda it happens to anyone else experience this on other networks/fw?

Mines near enough the same problem on this!

Well ive been using the Animations since the K750i, and they work fine with a normal text, but on the K850i (Voda) when i insert a animation into the SMS it comes up MMS and obviously am not going to pay for sending it! Was wondering why it does that!?

Ridahz Feedback +29 -0
Titanium Trader
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-10-21 14:57
I am sorry to say that I have rung up O2 and arranged for my phone to be sent back. This is a great shame as I have had all major SE platform releases since the T610 (and written firmware threads for them all).

To be honest the K850 is just not good enough for 1.5 years worth of development effort - I use my phone for five major things:

1. Waking me up in the morning. My K850's alarm just doesn't work properly, only beeping three times rather than playing the selected MP3. It's just too risky if I need to get up at 4am to catch a flight, which is quite a regular occurance for me.

2. Listening to audio books & music. The lack of any play/pause either on the phone itself or through the remote control of my HPM-82 means that I need to unlock the phone & navigate through the menus just to gain access to the start/stop features, which is a pain.

3. Controlling my PC via Bluetooth, which plays videos through the TV. The left mouse button is allocated to the touch screen buttons which means it is barely responsive enough to do a double click, which is a major annoyance.

4. Sending text messages. The keyboard, and particularly the D-Pad, is much worse than the K800, meaning that texts take longer to write and accuracy is worse.

5. Taking photos. The sync issue between the shutter and the flash means that most night shots simply don't come out. I just hope this is a software issue, but I am not prepared to take this chance & be stuck with the phone for the next year.

So ... looks like the end of me using this generation's platform. Let's just hope that the next gen platform is up to scratch & will warrant me purchasing another SE phone. In the meantime I will be waiting for the N95 8GB and keeping hold of the excellent K800 until it's release.

[ This Message was edited by: mwarner on 2007-10-21 13:59 ]
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 15:08
mwarner...

Lucky shame................

Have you not considered exchanging it???

For your purpose can understand why it causes you many problems....

For my purpose it suits me fine...

Just a shame...

Cheers
ENJOY
Eva-m00
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 16:40
I'm also tempted to return my K850i to CPW tomorrow.

I simply cannot believe the bugs and how slow the UI runs in comparison to a K800. There is no guarantee that they'll be fixed either and to be honest I don't fancy being lumbered with this phone unless I get a solid guarantee that these problems will be fixed.

SE really need to make some sort of statement on these issues and fast.
~Eva
ashyak36
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 17:52
i have all the bugs mentioned here accept one. the HPM-82 headset works on my k850i so i cant understand why it wouldnt work on all of the other :S im sure theyll sort these bugs out.

how long do you think new software will take to be released?
dcuk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 18:09
Something else give a slight speed-up on menus and general feel of the phone , choose a basic theme like Clarity and/or make sure you have a static backdrop picture instead of an animated one.

mwarner,
really sorry to hear you're sending your phone back, your input and time in maintaining your firmware threads has always been of great help over the past years,

I also came very close to sending mine back, even to the point of carefully packing everything back up all ready to return, then thought I'd sleep on it (not literally! ) couple of days later (no didn't sleep that long) thought would give it another try,

I personally feel they'll tweak the firmware for extra video and menu speed,

there really seems nothing else available at the moment in the way of SE phones,
if only they had given the W910 a 5 megapixel camera it would have been near perfect with it's already larger screen, good looks & better keypad than K850i,

I really feel they'd sell more phones if they just created one perfect phone with everything, instead of two half phones (one for entertainment and one for photography) as they do at the moment making people choose one path or the other instead of getting the best of both worlds.

[ This Message was edited by: dcuk on 2007-10-21 17:33 ]
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 18:48
Well im just waiting for my replacement.

This is the first phone ever I have had to send back to SE due to this problem and i feel very sad.

The K800 and the k810 were both gr8 phones. ( I prefer the K810 over the K800) but thats just me.

I never had a prob with the K810 at all. It was solid performer.

However I have never seen so many complaints and upset over the k850i. It seems that 1.5 years SE are worse and not better, What has gone wrong. Its a real real shame.

Well I get another month to play with the k850i when i get me new one and if it doesnt get better, its going back. First time ever.

I still like the phone and I do like the joypad and keys, I dont have any problems using them. I dont like tho is the ammount of bugs, You would have thought that SE would have a decent platform by now, they have had long enough at the job.

I have been reading lots of other forums and so far i struugle to find any one to rave about it. Inface i struggle to find any one with nice words which is a shame.

the phone is a flagship model that is all singing and all dancing, However it cant do either very good. It has def lost its steps!!

1 unhappy k850 user.

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2007-10-21 17:54 ]
kanjer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 20:18
i havent noticed too many bugs on mine tho have to admit the camera is not as good as the k800
ryanchg
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 21:27
I'm deeply disappointed in the CPU as it really runs slow at times and my set hang twice today.
SE oughta come out with a firmware soon or else many more angry users will raise.
Duran
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 21:36
i dont see why anyone would return their phone before the 2nd firmware release.
ryanchg
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 23:02

On 2007-10-21 21:36:30, Duran wrote:
i dont see why anyone would return their phone before the 2nd firmware release.

Probably because they are not satisfied with their purchase and can't wait for the firmware release?
stevenupton1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-10-21 23:51
SE must be aware of all the problems with this phone, they will be losing millions of £'s in returned phones and loss of reputation if they dont act now, me personally am seriously sick to death of not hearing any sort of explanation to why they have designed and made such a poor phone. Dont get me wrong, I love the phone to bits but feel cheated that it isnt performing in the way it should.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 ... 695696697  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic