Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How satisfied are you with your SE P990i?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Author How satisfied are you with your SE P990i?
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-26 22:10
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ares: on Tuesday I'll get my new 2 GB card and then i'll format the C: partition and upgrade ... again - already have the latest FW version....
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
bangsters
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-27 16:49
Thanks for the feedback on both phones. it was mentioned that p1i does not have edge, does the p990 have it? reason being is that I am a tmobile customer here in the US, and tmobile does not have 3g, only gprs with edge.

also, how stable is the p990 firmware now? i'm not sure if i can wait on the p1i since my p910 is already banged up lol....and the price of the p990 right now makes it very enticing to purchase...
http://www.toqen.com - quality hosting, dedicated servers and colocation that's right on the budget

http://www.clubfairlady.com - a Z33/350z and G35 site and a lot more
koto
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-05-27 22:04

On 2007-05-26 21:00:17, ares wrote:
701, like i already said, the phone runs the browser and media player easily at same time, if someone says the media player crashes upon loading the browser thats not normal at all...

I can confirm this. Music and browsing go perfectly well together.
After the new fw my browsing experiance is brilliant, no crashes at all.
ttsng
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-28 01:36
The P990 does not support EDGE. The download speed of GPRS is about 40kbps. After last firmware update (R9F), I still get a "low memory" message sometimes when I am browsing with Opera. Crash is rare but still happens.
bangsters
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-28 03:49

On 2007-05-28 01:36:37, ttsng wrote:
The P990 does not support EDGE. The download speed of GPRS is about 40kbps. After last firmware update (R9F), I still get a "low memory" message sometimes when I am browsing with Opera. Crash is rare but still happens.

Oh...i thought from the previous posts that the p990 has edge? coz it was compared to p1i and mentioned that p1i didn't have edge...lol...

thanks for the info
http://www.toqen.com - quality hosting, dedicated servers and colocation that's right on the budget

http://www.clubfairlady.com - a Z33/350z and G35 site and a lot more
HarvJH
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-05-28 10:09
I hate my P990, i am buying and laptop soon and then using my old w800, i loved my w800.
deniser
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-05-28 12:55
I love my P990i. i have not had it long. It was orange branded and awfull. i then had it debranded, with latest firmware and it is a dream. it is the first SE I have owned. I have always been a fan of the nokia n series. i tried the N95 but hated it. The p990 is a much superior phone imho. The battery life is fantastic (compared to my last phone the N80 where I got 2 days) i get 4 days with moderate use. 2days with heavy use.

I also prefer the UIQ over S60. It is the first UIQ phone i have had. There maybe not as much software as for s60 but what there is is good quality software (quality over quantity)

This forum has been a big help to me too. Thanks everyone.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-28 13:37
I read some pages ago that the latest FW brings the possibility of palying WMV files. Mine doesn't even if the latest FW. Maybe the conversion was done wrong?
zoom2007
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-28 14:45
OK, curiosity got the better of me and I updated the firmware to the latest. Mind you, my phone is not associated with any network, so no locks.

Anyway, the good is that it is slightly faster. The progress bar that appears when turning the phone on is also a nice touch.

We did lose the icon animations though - not that they are missed, but they were a nice touch.

Radio and music playing is just as good. Volume has increased slightly. The bass on my phone is still good so I am happy about that.

I noticed that messaging is slightly faster. Actually, almost everything is faster.

The problem with QuickOffice is stil there. Thype more then two paragraphs and the phone struggles to keep up with your typing. Still, I found a workarounf to this. I type in "Notes" which does not suffer the same slow response and then I edit the doc in QuickWord. Unnecessary hasle really, but at least it works.

Just tried to surf the net and the application closed twice. Restarting the phone now to test again.

Apologies if I confused anyone with the P1i limitations list. Not supporting EDGE was one of the shortfalls of the P990i as well.

OK, internet worked and it is slightly faster as well. I haven't checked 3G ops yet to see if there have been any improvements there.

Somebody mentioned this firmware increased the battery life on their phone. No change on my phone yet.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-05-28 15:12
you can turn the animations on if you like
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Mm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-28 16:01
I'm using my SE-P990i for 4 months now. In general I am satisfied, but there is still lot to do to make SE better.
Some good/bad things (in my opinion):
- when i take picture it is OK, but when I review them latter, some of them are "broken", some "break" after some time....;
- when i rotate picture and save it rotated, the zoom option is fckd up (try it);
- since SW update my radio doesnt work (corrupt);
- even though i'm closing aplication regularly, sometimes it just freezes;
- camera is just not good enough (except macro shots are amazing for photo camera!);
- when I am filling battery through adapter, sometimes the screen light just wont go off (fck, I can't sleep with lighst on except if i drank a bottle of Jack);
- when i'm receiving mail, other applications wont work (when "earth" simbol on the bottom of screen pulses, everything else is stopped);
- how d F can i change my homepage??!;
- sound is just too low (from update on even quieter...) with headphones;
- opening pdf is a great chance to go to coffee
- quickoffice is just not good enough. I can type plain text in notes!
- business card scanner is great!
- i don't like that all events in the callendar are the same colour. It could be done so that the user defines different colour of events and that way callendar becomes more useful (although exists the option to categorize them and show only one category...);
- I hate it in my pocket during summer (2big&heavy);
- joggdial is great;
- i hate when alarm doesn't work when phone is turned off (it could be at least optional);
- battery is not powerful enough (one day, one and a half at the most);
- WLAN works great;

Thats some of the things....
M

corrado85
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2007-05-29 04:48
Grade: F

Every time someone takes time to ask something about my phone, i tell them not to get and support sony ericsson because it is a waste of time and its a horrible phone.i try to sway them to stay away from their products. I usually recommend them n95 or n73, e65 and next couple days after i see it in their hands.
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2007-05-29 06:36
Eventhough P990's reliablity can still be improved, I can't at all say I'm not satisfied with the phone because it has been with me and gotten me through tight spots so many more times than it has given me headaches. I've used the camera rigorously and extensively with it being of printable quality, try it and you'll see (took abt 2,300 pics during my last holiday) organized my scedules, used it as a travel guide (tube2, phrasebook translator, bilingual dictionary), used notes to sketch, quickoffice for meeting minutes, watched quality movies when it really mattered (for both myself and baby daughter when she starts to act up), use it as my primary home internet connection through the 3G modem connected to my PC, use wifi regularly at starbucks for faster connection, and the qwerty board is such a pleasure to use for really fast text input (if you know the technique to use it or else it would seem too cramped to be useable). I could go on but I've got to resume work plus I think I already put my point across.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-05-29 08:35
Is there any newer sw version other than R9F011 ?
zoom2007
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-05-31 15:35
You're not comparing apples to apples. Even in its worst form the P990 has better features then the N73. I don't know anyone that has an N95 but the 3 people that have an N73 all hate the fact that it is unreliable. Apparently it turns off itself or gets "stuck".

I wouldn't swap my SE to any Nokia...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic