Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Where are the real panels ?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author Where are the real panels ?
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-05-03 00:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
1. Hmm... I'm surprise to realise that I have the same feeling with Astra that Boing has never used X1 before.

2. To me, I like to panel concept and I used the panels a lot. I've changed between panels in a day to suit my environment.... and sometimes to change the mood.

3. I agree with doministry, that xperia is faster than iphone. I've tested and compared my xperia with my friend iphone. I'm using SE panel. I was accessing all the frequently used applications : sms, contact, email, calendar and phone. Both the phone can access all these applications in one touch. To my surprise, for contact, sms and emal, iphone took 1 second longer than xperia. for calendar and phone, both phone load at the same time.

4. btw, I would like to suggest boing to look at the poll/survey result in xda-developer websites regarding the most preferred/voted windows mobile phone. Don't you wonder why xperia is the most voted phone by a big margin ?
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-04 01:26

On 2009-05-03 00:19:47, MyP910 wrote:
1. Hmm... I'm surprise to realise that I have the same feeling with Astra that Boing has never used X1 before.

2. To me, I like to panel concept and I used the panels a lot. I've changed between panels in a day to suit my environment.... and sometimes to change the mood.

3. I agree with doministry, that xperia is faster than iphone. I've tested and compared my xperia with my friend iphone. I'm using SE panel. I was accessing all the frequently used applications : sms, contact, email, calendar and phone. Both the phone can access all these applications in one touch. To my surprise, for contact, sms and emal, iphone took 1 second longer than xperia. for calendar and phone, both phone load at the same time.

4. btw, I would like to suggest boing to look at the poll/survey result in xda-developer websites regarding the most preferred/voted windows mobile phone. Don't you wonder why xperia is the most voted phone by a big margin ?

Good points.
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-05 23:55
Ok,
As ever i intend to be the nasty bastard here,
1) Panels are just an over complication, they dont, can never will never get around a good UI,
2) Personally im not an iphone lover but for f***s sake the simplicity of its UI deserves some credit, you ask the bloody thing to do something, and hey it happens.
3) I am now a WM user and my experience grows everyday, at the moment i have had almost 4 weeks with X1
2 weeks with IPhone, and now 6 weeks with Touch Pro.
Simplest, easy-est is the iphone. no question.
most efficient, for business user out of the three, Touch Pro, it works and oddly enough more business users choose HTC over SE X-1 as a platform, because they put function over form every f****ng day
Best by far device as a colourful phone with a great screen, but overly pointless UI, thats aimed squarely at the gamesters, youtube, video crowd, quite fashion concious, X-1 its flash, and if you really want to its probably great, but the panel thing, hard work pointless,pointless.
You can personalise so many panels, and for christ sakes ive tried, but the truth, and this WILL HURT, ONE GOOD UI WILL ALWAYS get the better of however many pretend UI panels.
Anyhow a bloke in a bar in Oban, Scotland for you that dont know, once told me the following,
IF YOU STOP STIRRING IT STICKS!
good luck.
[ This Message was edited by: number2 on 2009-06-05 22:56 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-06 12:31

On 2009-06-05 23:55:00, number2 wrote:
Ok,
As ever i intend to be the nasty bastard here,
1) Panels are just an over complication, they dont, can never will never get around a good UI,
2) Personally im not an iphone lover but for f***s sake the simplicity of its UI deserves some credit, you ask the bloody thing to do something, and hey it happens.
3) I am now a WM user and my experience grows everyday, at the moment i have had almost 4 weeks with X1
2 weeks with IPhone, and now 6 weeks with Touch Pro.
Simplest, easy-est is the iphone. no question.
most efficient, for business user out of the three, Touch Pro, it works and oddly enough more business users choose HTC over SE X-1 as a platform, because they put function over form every f****ng day
Best by far device as a colourful phone with a great screen, but overly pointless UI, thats aimed squarely at the gamesters, youtube, video crowd, quite fashion concious, X-1 its flash, and if you really want to its probably great, but the panel thing, hard work pointless,pointless.
You can personalise so many panels, and for christ sakes ive tried, but the truth, and this WILL HURT, ONE GOOD UI WILL ALWAYS get the better of however many pretend UI panels.
Anyhow a bloke in a bar in Oban, Scotland for you that dont know, once told me the following,
IF YOU STOP STIRRING IT STICKS!
good luck.
[ This Message was edited by: number2 on 2009-06-05 22:56 ]

That's of course your opinion. I get your points.
See, my habits and usage patterns make me love panels, and SE panel is simply the
best UI I can have. There's nothing overcomplicated there for me...
iPhone UI for me is a pure cr..ap - just a apps shortcuts,
I mean too much limitation.
a w a r e
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-08 16:07
In so many ways i agree with you re iphone, but with such great sales behind it the simplicity of the UI for the majority of its users must be one its big attractions, i cant comment on other makes and devices except for Blackberry, my company gave me one for work and a returned it after 2 weeks, my views on the X-1 and Touch pro are as ever my opinions, and i fully respect those who choose it, but it wasnt for me, however i do acknowledge that some of its features are an improvement over my touch pro, if only these companies would field test their devices with real customers first.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-09 01:55
I think companies got used to making devices "good enough" for the users, instead of "great". Then Apple came along and made things "great" with lesser features and hardware. Apple won on the intangible features that aren't listed on spec sheets. With the new faster 3G S hitting the markets, their user-experience is going to get even better and the competitors haven't even caught up to the old 3G. I hope MS has it's s**t together with WM7...

On the long term, I'm wondering how long Apple can keep it up? They have painted themselves into a corner by stagnating their hardware advances. Too many changes to the iPhone hardware (such as higher-res screen or keyboard or more system memory) will segment their development community in the same way WM has with it many varieties of WM phone. I'm sure Apple isn't going for that. Doing so would destroy their ever-important killer feature--user-experience.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-06-11 17:13 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi