Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Where are the real panels ?

Author Where are the real panels ?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 05:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
On the panel screen, the panels don't seem active and they don't represent what's actually going on in the panel. They're just showing a preset image. Is this a temporary work around until SE gets the active panels working or is this the way it's going to be ?
mkouk
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 12:36
I think we've all been duped by SE on the "active" panels concept. Those panels are nothing but active, if you look on the folder structure for each panel there are static jpeg images for landscape, portrait etc. which is then used to display them.

Once you select the panel, that same image is maximised briefly to fit the whole screen for a few seconds until the real panel is loaded on the memory of the phone.

One example is the fish panel which always shows 06:18 as the time.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-16 12:37
They are images, and nothing more. They won't be activated until you've selected them.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 17:37
Hi all,

Well i kind of have to agree this isn't exactly the concept that was being sold of these active panels running and waiting to be chosen. As in reality what the panels are and they are nothing more and nothing less then just picture shortcuts to start the panels. As the panel itself isn't constantly running for immediate access but needs to refresh once selected really only SPB Shell and the Media panel were of any use to me but they did both work well. But really just how many different shortcuts to our apps do we need.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-16 19:36 ]
the_mont
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 18:46

On 2008-11-16 17:37:56, Dogmann wrote:
But really just how many different shortcuts to our apps do we need.

Marc

I agree with Marc on this one. Which is after initially liking the new of concept of panels, it is just that - a concept.

In reality most of the original panels access the same functions in different ways, so I became bored and used only two to access all my required functions. Hence why I ended up with TouchFlo interface.

I've seen demos of the new Blackberry Storm, and guess what? One panel (of sorts) and just multiple big buttons to reach your required function. So the panel concept will only work if:

1. Speed is improved moving between them
2. More are created which aren't static little pictures & provide different functionality to those that already exists.

Obviously this is just my opinion....

Chris
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 20:35
Reading the panel SDK, there are provisions for realtime updating of the panels. So I'm going to chalk this up to the immature nature of panel development. Maybe once the concept of panels catches on with more developers, we'll see something that takes advantage of them. But, at least, I thought SE's own panels would take advantage of the active panels concept. It would be nice if that slideshow panel actually gave a slideshow while on the panel screen.

I hope the X1 becomes a relative success for SE, this way we'll see some creativity in the panel department from them and/or developers. Hopefully, we can expect a X-panel 2.0 update in the future. I, for one, would like to be able to define my own oanel that links to whatever WM (non-panelized) program I choose.

Actually, looking at the upcoming WM 6.5, things are looking pretty good either way.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-16 20:58
But then again, I'm not sure I'd love to have 9 panels running in the background. That would require quite a lot of processing power and memory, I reckon.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 22:28
@Mizzle

Very true and this was commented on by some of us at the time they were announced but two or maybe three panels running could work without being to much of a drain.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-11-16 21:29 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 22:31
Yeah, depending on what they are doing. I guess the whole panel thing would take a huge amount of custom programming to implement in an appealing way. The app has to know when to account for it being just in panel mode, or being the active panel desktop.

I would be satisfied in seeing the various standard functions panelized: Calculator, Calendar, Messaging, Opera.....so I could get right to them without going through the tiny WM menu or starting spb shell (which given the panel concept, is a poor substitute).
Astral1
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-11-16 23:14
But, correct me if i'm wrong here, as far as panels go.
I have SPB on one, TouchFlo3D on another, and obviously the Normal today screen on another. At present, the others are just basically App shortcuts.

To go a step further, i can also put Winterface on another. O.K. so far?

I wake up one morning, and i fancy the SPB interface. I click the phone twice, there it is.

That afternoon, i want a change. I feel like a bit of Touch flo. I click the phone twice. You with this so far?

My battery runs flat, so i get my spare phone, lets say a Diamond, or an Omnia.

I fancy some SPB, I install it, it takes a few minutes, great.
Winterface? I presumably install it, after uninstalling SPB?

Panels win for me. Thats the concept i enjoy, and if i really want, eventually, if they exist, i can have 9 different interfaces ready to go in 2 clicks.

Can the competition do that?

I appreciate, in reality, that all the different interfaces are still just different ways to access the app shortcuts, but you can at least set up different ones for different sets of programs and media.
If we evolved from apes, why are there still apes ?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-17 03:41
Yeah, you're right, but the fact is, there aren't many panels to choose from unless you make many different versions of the SE Today panel. And I personally don't see why I would need to choose from 9 different app launchers at different times of day . But if different apps were panels themselves, I think the concept would work better.

The panel concept IS wonderful, it just needs to be further developed. I was hoping that as long as SE took developing this phone, they would have had more panels ready to go at release.

Does TouchFlo3D run as a panel ?
the_mont
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-11-17 10:04

On 2008-11-17 03:41:48, WhyBe wrote:
Yeah, you're right, but the fact is, there aren't many panels to choose from unless you make many different versions of the SE Today panel. And I personally don't see why I would need to choose from 9 different app launchers at different times of day . But if different apps were panels themselves, I think the concept would work better.

The panel concept IS wonderful, it just needs to be further developed. I was hoping that as long as SE took developing this phone, they would have had more panels ready to go at release.

Does TouchFlo3D run as a panel ?

Agreed again, just like I said in a different way - more panels are required, great "concept". I get the feeling, that since announcing the X1 officially in Feb, SE have been under considerable pressure to deliver.

Windows Mobile development issues obviously slowed the delivery of the panels, as the OS doesn't lend itself well to Touch... well anything actually. Maybe Windows Mobile 6.5 will incoporate more features to bring Touch Screen technology up to Mac standards.

Oh and yes, TouchFlo can run as a panel, after installing Touchflo, an additional cab is required. See the link under the thread I started:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=177770

Chris
mattiL
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-17 19:50
I'd like a SETI panel...
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-17 22:08