Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Where are the real panels ?

Author Where are the real panels ?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-20 06:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Those who have been following Xperia since the beginning, this may be of interest. When going from the new Growing Panel to the X Panel screen, the Growing Panel actually reflects the state it was last in instead of just showing a generic jpeg like all the other panels do. Hopefully, this is a sign of improvements to come for X1.

Maybe we'll get true active panels as originally promised
mattiL
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-21 13:55
But the growing panel seems to a little buggy.
Every time I click on the little snail, the phone locks up and needs to be reset with the reset button.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-23 00:50
^^^ ...no no no, you're supposed to put salt on the snail.
frozenwaffles
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-03-23 01:17
ok so further to my discussion (and dont worry, example and proof of all my comments are comming)...i have found the weather app and panel from spb software and well its fantastic...except its not 'active' which is a bit of a dissapointment...
event the SE panels are not active...seriously WTF?!?!?
and SE wonder why people arnt buying this phone in droves...? besides the expensive price....
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-25 16:52
The new Growing panel is "amost" active. I think the "active" part is determined by the panel developer. SE has the hooks programmed into the SDK already.
mattiL
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-27 19:43
But I like garlicbutter on my snails...
harry_b
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-04-15 21:06
hey - btw there's a new unified messaging panel @ www.uiggmo.com (free trial)
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-16 12:05
Yahoooooooooo,
Got rid of my X-1, panels are pants, now have HTC touch pro aka Xda Serra, tons of downloadable software, easy touch flo UI, functionallity sooo much better than X-1, so dont spend your life wishing for SE to make it better, brand loyalty is brilliant and should be repaid by the brand listening to your gripes and moans.
So Xperia.........not great, but my C902 even though the keys look a bit worn, (its called quality control guys try harder) is still very good.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-16 18:24

On 2009-04-16 12:05:13, number2 wrote:
Yahoooooooooo,
Got rid of my X-1, (...) tons of downloadable software, easy touch flo UI, functionallity sooo much better than X-1, (...)

Sooo funny!
The same software goes to X1 and other WM 6.1 devices,
so WHAT are you talking about?
And what HTC Pro has better in functionality??
Lack of optical joystick?
a w a r e
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-18 00:00
Ha ha ah,
you have really got this X-1 thing bad mate, its glam and flash over function, panels wow arnt they cute, optical joystick, is that another place for a SE to allow dust ingress? its ok dont worry, just cos you post alot, must mean you know whats what.
You havnet got it yet, the X-1 is not a bad device, get a grip, whats interesting is that some folk,(look in the mirror) cant accept that some alternatives could be, and im now speaking from experience, ARE better.
Dont allow brand loyallty to cloud the issue.
O bollocks just grow up!
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-18 00:51

On 2009-04-18 00:00:18, number2 wrote:
Ha ha ah,
you have really got this X-1 thing bad mate, its glam and flash over function, panels wow arnt they cute, optical joystick, is that another place for a SE to allow dust ingress? its ok dont worry, just cos you post alot, must mean you know whats what.
You havnet got it yet, the X-1 is not a bad device, get a grip, whats interesting is that some folk,(look in the mirror) cant accept that some alternatives could be, and im now speaking from experience, ARE better.
Dont allow brand loyallty to cloud the issue.
O bollocks just grow up!

Yoo, but since you just write that something is "better" without any single example what is this really,
so here was my answer,
and alternatives we all know and accept. Alternative does not automatically equals better BTW.
Write something more reasonable or accept answers on the same level of "yooohooohooo-iness", no?
a w a r e
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-21 00:12
Good point, well made, sorry if i sounded a bit shallow, i guess just very fed up trying to be loyal to what i once percieved as a brilliant brand, god knows i waited long enough for the X-1, its just that in my mind, its flawed in some very irritating ways, anyhow, dont want to upset the apple cart.
Sorry.
In my mind im compiling a list of the things i think that the HTC does better, promise that i will get round to posting them.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-21 10:49
Internally the Touch Pro and the X1 are virtually identical. The real differences (aside from screen configuration) are all down to the software - the ROM - and that's where HTC were always bound to win, since they've been customising WinMo builds a lot longer than SE. And let's face it, the Panels concept was always weak and very poorly realised (the "real" panels have never materialised after all).

One decent interface (TouchFlo) is a lot better than multiple half-hearted attempts at the same thing (Panels). But don't mistake me for an HTC fanboy - for me the iPhone interface tramples all over the lot.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-21 11:51

On 2009-04-21 10:49:38, Boinng wrote:
Internally the Touch Pro and the X1 are virtually identical. The real differences (aside from screen configuration) are all down to the software - the ROM - and that's where HTC were always bound to win, since they've been customising WinMo builds a lot longer than SE. And let's face it, the Panels concept was always weak and very poorly realised (the "real" panels have never materialised after all).

One decent interface (TouchFlo) is a lot better than multiple half-hearted attempts at the same thing (Panels). But don't mistake me for an HTC fanboy - for me the iPhone interface tramples all over the lot.

Let me just say that your "statement" has no sign of any definite truth or fact. There's nothing to "face"..

Many users at xda - icluding me - will say something completely opposite - TouchFlo is a nice looking, multi page thing without ANY real customization possibilities,
opposed to SE Panels which can stuff maximum info and usability on one page. As for me nothing could be better and I use it everyday. And you can make completely different desktops including what you want.

In opposition you discuss iPhone interface with 0 options for customization. It doesn't even have a "desktop" or "menu" distinction.
a w a r e
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-21 12:53

On 2009-04-21 11:51:18, doministry wrote:
Let me just say that your "statement" has no sign of any definite truth or fact. There's nothing to "face"..

If you like. Only, the "real" panels as described and displayed in all the pre-launch publicity and demos never have materialised, that's simple fact. With a few very minor exceptions they aren't live, they don't update, they're a poor imitation of the advertised functionality.

Many users at xda - icluding me - will say something completely opposite - TouchFlo is a nice looking, multi page thing without ANY real customization possibilities,
opposed to SE Panels which can stuff maximum info and usability on one page. As for me nothing could be better and I use it everyday. And you can make completely different desktops including what you want.

Many other users at XDA - as you know - would swear allegiance to Touchflo. The problem with boasting about "customisation possibilities" is that not everyone feels the desire to customise in the same way - Touchflo certainly can be customised to various user preferences, but at the end of the day its an interface designed to allow easy access to the core phone functions, no more and no less, and there's nothing wrong with that. SE's Panels' in comparison are not even that - they are an interface on top of an interface, a means to choose between different UIs, and while some people (including yourself) may find that useful, to others its an inconvenience - an unneccesary middle man that simply gets in the way.

In opposition you discuss iPhone interface with 0 options for customization. It doesn't even have a "desktop" or "menu" distinction.

And again its that simplicity that provides its all conquering strength. The menu is the desktop, and vice versa. Notifications of new messages/emails etc are there at a glance, I can place any icon wherever I want, and I can access any app I need quicker than it takes you to even open a single Panel.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi