Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Partition Magic

Author Partition Magic
marknicholls
Z600
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 21:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have just bought a new PC with a 40GB hard disk. Now on my old PC i used FDISK to partition the disk. But when i got this PC i installed windows XP and etp my pc up just how i like it.....then realized i forgot the bloody partition!

I obviously cant use FDISK. If i use partition magic (which i just downloaded) it says if i partition 32GB and 8GB, 80mb gets waisted somewhere....does anyone know what it is and would FDISK do what? I dont care about 80mb as thats barley anything but i am just curious if Partition Magic is as good as FDISK.

If my C:\ goes wrong, with partition Magic, would the d:\ still be safe or are there files on the C:\ keeping the disk partitioned?

I hope this makes sense.

Thans for any help

Mark
Mark
mnichollsuk@mac.com
SE Z600
captainsm
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-07-24 21:48
I use IBM disk manager, i find it easy to use.
vimto2000
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-07-26 13:56
We use partition magic at work, don't know how well it works with XP but everyone praises that!
gij0
W800
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 10:55
The 80mb that u loose at the end is just unallocated space! It leaves this so that it is able to move the data on your drive easier!! When the partition you want is made you can assign this pace to c: or your new partition!!

If your using Partition magic 7 then it works very well with xp!!

Trust me i use it al the time and i have xp and a 60gig drive!!
Wings_Talons
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 11:18
Yes it is the allocated space which is used for transfer of files between the partitions. You can change the settings by going into the registry keys but be careful, coz if you mess around too much with the registry keys you might crash your computer. But also note that if you decrease the size from 80mb to say 10mb, the transfer of files becomes much slower. If you have large amounts to transfer then incrasing the size will speed up the transfer. But hey, as you say 80mb is nothing much to worry about.. so leave it at that
all8
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-08-30 12:21
Partition magic 7 works well with my XP, I can change file sizes between C:\ and D:\ easily. All Datas remain intact.
pogie
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-08-30 12:37
partition magic is the best disk management tool! been using it for years now. but windows xp has it's own disk management utility, at least the sx professional. it's like partition magic.

by the way, if your downloaded version of partition magic does not include a serial number, it would be the trial version that doesn't do anything except to report your current partitions.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi