Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > The Egyptian forum

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 464748  Next
Author The Egyptian forum
sphinx8
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 08:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
thankx mahora. I know, I can't wait to get my hands on that k700. That's what I thought regarding the mobinil and vodaphone that there is no difference. Kind of silly that there are two different companies but no real advantages to one or the other!
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 09:03
@sphinx8
Always welcome. Just remembered one useful tip. Mobinil is making that contest for roamers. If u make calls that equal 5 minutes or more while roaming, you can enter a draw for a car, a mini cooper 2005. Hope you win!

[ This Message was edited by: mahora on 2005-04-26 08:04 ]
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 11:21
Vodafone has Free voicemail, I use that instead. I don't think that which company provided the network infrastructure affects the quality of reception. And with your logic Mobinil should've promoted Alcatel not Sagem. And Sagem does make a few phones exclusively for Vodafone. And as I don't know but am only guessing, I would think that Ericsson would have set up Vodafone's network, I could be wrong of course.
I prefer Voda over Mobinil, but my dream is that UAE ETISALAT will get our next network license. If they do, I promise to be one of the first 500 subscribers
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 12:15
Don't forget that your caller pays every time they call and you don't answer which is inconvenient for some people . As for promoting brands, Mobinil doesn't need to promote Alcatel, because they're already very good partners ever since Mobinil started. Sagem was just an example of the concept that I wanted to demonstrate to you.
Network infrastructure does affect the quality of reception. For example, in the k7 manual it is stated that proximity to BTS stations can affect both qulaity and the handset's ability to receive network signal, meaning that the farther the BTS is, the more power is consumed for the handset to get the signal to allow EFR voice qulaity and good data transfer rates. But you know what, Ericsson is the major network component provider for vodaEgypt. Weird though, your t630 should work the same way a Sagem or an Alcatel does on Mobinil network; VodaEgypt must be really exhausted after the couple of outages that recently rocked it

[ This Message was edited by: mahora on 2005-04-26 12:26 ]
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 12:25
One good advantage if Etisalat comes to Egypt is that they deploy UMTS, not CDMA, which offers better compatibility with GSM's 2.5G currently available in Egypt.
I have this weird hunch that Al Walid Ben Talal is going to be the one to win the 3rd mobile license in Egypt. He tried to get the 2nd license in his home country Saudi Arabia, but Etisalat snapped it from him. Any way one major attraction for Etisalat in the Egyptian market is that this will give a direct way of competing with OT, this time in its home playground, Egypt.
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 16:48
What outages?
Anyways BOTH networks are far from perfect. What I really want is cheaper GPRS.
sphinx8
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 18:56
Maybe I miss understood but you said on Vodafone missed calls are charged to the caller? Either way I don't think you really could go wrong with either one but I do agree if there is more competition in egypt as you guys are discussing it probably would be a good thing. Mahora, that Cooper sure would be nice to have in time for the summer:)
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 21:24
No, missed calls don't get charged. A caller only gets charged when the voicemail service answers.

This message was posted from a T630

mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-27 09:08
What outages! come on man! surely you haven't tried to make calls on 06-04-2005. Vod had a major outage on that day. their inter-switch links were down, meaning simply that people couldn't make or receive calls. You know what the first solution that came to the minds of Vod geniuses was? shut down the gateway connecting them to the other network, making it look like it's the other network's fault, or just trying to create the confusion necessary to make it look so. So low, right?
It was all over the telecom sections of the newspapers till mid April. Any way since I agree with you that the 2 networks are rather the same in almost everything, I could also tell u about the outages of the other network too
I think both companies don't deserve bias. At least not just yet.
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-27 17:01
@mahora
Are you a reporter? I can think of a guy in Al-Ahram that has a tech column in the weekly edition that almost always publishes news a bout SE. He even reported the rob-1 less than a week from its announcement.
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-28 08:55
@mustafabay
Let's just say that a I'm a little bit more than "interested" in telecom
mahora
K700
PM
@mustafabay
mahora
K700
PM
@mustafabay

WOW, post one reply and get another 2 for free......

[ This Message was edited by: mahora on 2005-04-28 07:57 ]
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-28 12:22
@mahora
OOOOOOOh! So you're a telecom historian no wonder you know network outage dates
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-28 13:06
@mustafabay
Nice job, telecom historian... nice combination... well I know you're trying to drag me into giving out more info... but vague is the name of the game... By the way what's your engineering major? electricity? no wonder you had no clue about the outage

[ This Message was edited by: mahora on 2005-04-28 12:10 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 464748  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic