Previous  123 456 ... 464748  Next
Author The Egyptian forum
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-20 01:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@coolapostle
Hi there! I know Nigeria is one of the fastest growing african countries in terms of mobile telecom, with such a large population that almost exceeds that of Egypt. One question though, how is fixed wireless implemented in Nigeria, in terms to similarities and differences from GSM?
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-21 12:31
mahora
You've got it wrong. Nigeria has at least 50 million more poeople than Egypt.
@coolapostle
Telecom Egypt has been using CDMA to cover some places for fixed lines but we definaitely don't want mobile CDMA. I don't see any rush for 3G, all I wish is that they would make the data cheaper, all the concentrate on is making calls slightly cheaper, we have a duopoly afterall.
@mahora again
I know the K700 is a lot better than my T630 in signal strength, the point I'd really like to know is compared to a sagem would it have any chance?
I'm in Helwan engineering and the coverage there is weird. In the street all phones struggle for a signal and inside the facaulty, some places you'll get full signal and others you can't even get SOS, I'm going to be stuck there for 3 more years and I might as well get a sagem if it can give me a strong signal.

I went to a cinema recently with my friend and inside I had zero bars, he had a trium Eclipse and he SOMETIMES dropped to 4 bars only
sphinx8
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-23 02:36
Salamat ya gama3a! Wow this is great to finally see a place where we can chat about mobiles in egypt. I too am thinking about the k700i for egypt being that I don't live there currently but want a phone that will also be good for egypt reception that is not necessarily nokia. I am debating between t630,k500, and k700. The only thing about the k700 is the battery problem I hear about that can be fixed with the firmware upgrade.
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-23 07:17
Greetings to all in the Egyptian Forum...I am from Mumbai.. I had visited Egypt last December... had a great time...Had Stayed in the Zamalek Area...
Took a Nile Cruise, enjoyed the belly dancing, Visited the pyramids at Giza and Saqquara, saw the HUGELY Humongous Egytian Museum...And Shopped at the Khan Al Khalili Market...Basically did most of the things a tourist visiting Egypt for the first time would do...
Was on mobinil while roaming... Cairo city was very much like Bombay in appearance except that everything is written in arabic..
Had a wonderful week there, except we got fooled by the guides at the pyramids, and were helped by the tourist police...but that's part of the experience... So once again, a big HI to all of u..
Sony all the way
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-23 10:27
@sphinx8
Yeah lots of salams. I own a T630 and as long a Kxxx is an option I'd get it over the T630 anyday. K700 doesn't have a bad battery. People just play with their phone a lot more and the battery not lasting very long is something that is bound to happen. Hey, any phone with a colour screen probably can't last more than a day with tons of usage.

@Oogamous
I happy you were happy here. So would Cairo be bigger or Mumbai?
Oogamous
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-23 10:58
Well, that's hard to say. I had been only to selected places in cairo. So can't really compare which is larger. But cairo certainly is busier And more chaotic in terms of traffic and movement of the people residing there. I felt mumbai is more organised in that aspect And maybe cleaner too, but that's just what my perception was in the short while i was there.

This message was posted from a WAP device

sphinx8
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-23 21:53
Thanks Mustafa. I was kind of leaning toward either the k500 or k700 but was worried that they had too many bugs and the battery issues, but I would have settled for a t630 if I got a negative response. I think I would just go with the K700 since I think it has more memory and bluetooth compared to the k500. So how is your t630 reception there in egypt?
americany13
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-24 00:49
I'm egyptian living in USA, NJ.........Movied here after highschool (EBS) in alexandria, Ahmed el-americany..............if anyone in egypt needs a celly I can get in and send it, under only one condition IT HAS TO BE SE!!!!
ASHTA YA NASS!!!
PROAD OWNER OF T68I, T610, T636, P900, P910I, T300
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-25 08:55
Hi everybody,
So glad to find so much activity after being gone only for a few days. A warm welcome to all visitors and contributors, in order of appearance: sphinx8, Oogamous, and last but not least americany13.
@mustafabay
Sorry I couldn't answer your concern about the k7 in time, but I've been away for a while. The signal strength on the k7 is good, comparable to that on Nokia phones. However, as you must know, french phones, i.e., Alacatel and Sagem are the best in the area of signal strength and reception. I've tried Alacatel and Sagem some years ago, and they were great in that respect. However, the rest of the package was not that great, I mean functionality-wise. Sagem is a good and cheap solution, yet its not that good as far as build quality is concerned, at least it wasn't when I used it something like 3 years ago when it first entered the Egyptian market. I guess you'll have to ask someone who's using new handsets like my-x7 and have a look at the x8, which had very good reviews on the internet.
One more thing though. With the k7, the whole package is great, just great. This phone is capable of all that a Nokia can do and much more, yet in a more elegant and appealing appearance. However I feel it's not fair to compare the k7 to a Nokia, since you must know how overrated Nokias are. So the point is you shouldn't base your choice on one factor; look at the bigger pictutre, that's what I did when I thought of the k7, and thank God it was up to my expectations.
One good solution to your reception problem is to have the Clip+ service activated for you. It's available for both post and pre paid subscribers of Mobinil network (I have this hunch that you are a Mobinil subscriber). It's a good solution for the reception problem in Helwan and a quite cheap one too.

[ This Message was edited by: mahora on 2005-04-25 08:00 ]
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-25 10:33
@Sphinx
I must say T630 suffers in some places, and the K series has better signal strength.

@ americany
You think we'd go for a phone from the US? Then why do we have Dubai
T636 doesn't work in Egypt. It doesn't ave 900 MHz band
@mahora
I don't know what clip+ is, so what is it?
I don't know why you are guessing what network I am on because you only have 50 % chance of being right. And I have to break it to you I'm on Vodafone.
americany13
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-25 19:37
Ashta ya mustafa, its ok! Get from where every you want, Was just trying to help.
Is there 3G in egypt yet?
still if you need anything else let me know. SALAM ya MAN
americany13
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-25 19:41
its good to see SE users in Egypt, All cell phones requested from me in 2004 were the Nokia 6600 for some stupid reason, I personally think that phone is a handycap.

mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-25 22:06
Where ever there is SE there's bound to be SE users. And now almost everyone has a 6600 even the bawabeen do. And I prefer to think of it as ISHTAH . Mashy ya 3am.

This message was posted from a T630

sphinx8
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 07:09
I have to say that you guys have been helpful and it is great to talk to you. I have to also admit that I was thinking of the Nokia 6600 first:) I figured that that was very popular in egypt and now al bawabeen kaman. LOL I just loved the reviews for the K500 and K700 and figured the K700 just had the most options which made it more appealing. I'm glad the reception is better now with the K700 than the T630. I think I'm going with the K700! Since you guys have been so helpful I have another question. Is there really any difference between Mobinil and Vodafone phone service? Wanting to open a line when I get to egypt and I did some research and seems that there really wasn't too much difference in options from a service standpoint. Prices probably differ though.
mahora
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-04-26 08:42
@mustafabay
Weird that you are on Vodafone, how come then that you have an interest in French phones? Mobinil network equipment is mainly french, since Alcatel is the major network equipement provider (along, but to a less extent, with Motorola) hence come the point that there is a kind of compatibility between network components and the end-user's handset that kind of enhance handset performance, along of course with the fact that French phones are REALLY distinguishable in terms of reception. If you remember, Mobinil was the first to introduce and sponsor the sales of Sagem phones in Egypt, and this was no coincidene.
As for the 6600, yes it has become so common that having one has become of no stance at all. Unfortunately a lot of people buy mobiles out of a sense of just following the herd, not because of the functionality and features. They simply follow the herd because they "heard" that this or that mobile is "good". They don't do the proper research, nor they feel the need for it.
As for Clip+, it's a service that allows you to have sms sent to you with all the numbers that tried to call you while you were out of reach. It is activated automatically when the phone is off or out of network coverage. Another additional great feature about it is that you can activate it while your phone is within network coverage, the caller hears that you are OOR, while you get an instant sms telling u of the number that tried to call. All that for 10 l.e. per month
@sphinx8
I guess there is no much difference between Mobinil and Vodafone, whether in terms of service, coverage, or even prices, they're both almost identical.
As for your choice of the k7, I know you won't regret it, as this phone will certainly meet your expectations as it did mine.

[ This Message was edited by: mahora on 2005-04-26 08:38 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 464748  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic