Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > S700i meets the SO505iS

123  Next
Author S700i meets the SO505iS
sidneylopsides
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 22:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Most of you will already know that the SO505iS for NTT DoCoMo is the forerunner to the S700i for the EMEA market, but how similar are they? I'll try and run through the main points, and provide pictures both of the units and taken by them.

Specs:
S700
240*320 262,144 colour screen
1.3Mp CCD camera with LED assist lamp
Video mode 176*144 max res, .3gp format
MS Duo slot
Bluetooth
Infra Red
Swivel disign
Rear speaker for calls and tones
Standard EMEA UI (E100?) with themes.
FM Radio
5 way pad with 2 softkeys, C and Return keys along with normal numeric pad
Dedicated shutter button
slider switch for keylock and LED
Volume up/down buttons

SO505iS
240*320 262,144 colour screen
1.3Mp CCD camera with Macro and 2 LED assist lamps
Video mode supports 320*240 and 160*112 in .mqv (.mov really)
MS Duo slot (PRO is mentioned in the manual, but I can't read the Japanese around it, so I don't know if it supports it or not)
Swivel design
Infra Red
Stereo speakers for calls and tones
Status LED next to earpiece
Call alert LED (choice of 12 colours)
Highly animated and very fast UI with three themes
5 way pad with surrounding jog wheel, 6 shortcut keys, mail, i-mode, call, end(power), clr and My
Dedicated shutter button
Slide switch for keylock and LED

The 505 is roughly the same size as the 700, the positioning of the screen and d-pad are identical, it also looks to be the same screen used in them both. The size difference seems more to to with the style than anything else, as if the 505 is shaped to fit around the internals as closely as possible and the 700 is made to look sleek and smooth. The 700 looks alot less cluttered than the 505.

They both have the same shutter and slide switches but the 505 has them on the top half rather than the bottom.

The swivel action on the 505 is much more solid feeling, there is zero play when open or closed, my 700 has a small movement when closed. Looking at them this is because the little bump that clips in to the closed position is much larger on the 505. The numeric pad is basically the same, although the 505 has a cool brushed metal backing rather than the glittery one on the 700.

The 5 way pad with jog dial is much easier to use than I expected, they have go the design just right. It's very intuitive and you can press a direction on the pad without moving from the jog, it is raised up ever so slightly to allow that.

The 505 feels more solid than the 700, not sure why though. It also seems to always be cold like metal, even though it isn't, I think it may be the paint. I just noticed the camera shutter appears to be aluminium.

The camera seems to be based on the same hardware, it even has the same light bar running down the screen on the left hand side when you cover the lens, the menu system is basically the same, but has a Yes/No popup for options that just change on the 700.
Othe differences are a macro mode, works to about 12cm, and full screen video mode. The fullscreen video recording is not that good, it's only a couple of frames per second, but it's better than the S700! It also does a 160*112 low res video that is very smooth. I'll post a couple of examples.

The 505 has flaps over the Duo slot, headphone connector and charger connector, these are all made from a hard orange plastic, the same that is used for other details on the phone. The headphone connector requires an adaptor as it is a funny little flat thing.

Powered up they are completely different, the 505 has a very quick startup anim and it's done. The standby screen has a similar layout to the SE we are used to, execpt next to the battery is a clock, and it has 7 softkey shortcuts at the bottom.

You have the option for a larger clock, digital or analogue that can be positioned on the screen. There are about 4 different styles to choose from.
entering the main menu is where it really differs, you have a ring of icons on the left hand side of the screen, rolling the jog wheel or using up and down on the d-pad spin these, next to each icon on the right of the screen you can see the text for the next level of menu, this looks amazing. It spins and bounces, it even has real time animations generated in the background, my favourite is the one with twinkling stars and fireballs flying at you.
Here's couple of shots:

There are two other themes, Aqua (underwater with bubbles coming off your selection) and Breeze( similar but with leaves). This really puts all other UIs I have seen to shame. There is nothing as good looking, fast and enjoyable. It also has quite a good deal of customisation, you can choose how the jog wheel acts, change the icons for different parts of it, choose what it shows when you do different things, like make/receive a call, email etc, you can choose how the backlight acts, how long it is on full, how bright it is, what to do in power save (blank screen or clock), you can have the calander as your standby screen, have animations or pictures or just use the theme's own. Sounds can be set for anything you do, also any preset pictures and sounds can be used any way you want, you even have access to the frames from the camera.
You can choose how pictures and videos are displayed, pictures have a choice of 9 thumbs, 4 thumbs with info, list only, video is 4 icons with info or list.

The Duo slot is in a different place, just shows there are a few hardware changes

Comparing the cameras:

Under the cover:

There is NO movement after opening a few times, and if you thought the S700i battery cover was hard to get off...

Here's a video of the UI from a show: Clicky
gbrooks3
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 22:58
Fantastic Review. Brilliant. We need more of these on Esato!

Because the platform sends bogus messages while charging, that is why!!!..But why this change of heart?..We sense a charger connected, oops, we will not shut down after all!!!..*********************** UI BASIC, HOLD YOUR HORSES
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 22:59
Great work dude! Good review! :-D

This message was posted from a T230

peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 01:30
Excellent, interesting and well balanced.

Doesn't look like we did too badly with our version, the UI would be nice but dangerous on the battery. We'd all fiddle too much!
IainsTheName
W900 white
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 01:51
Is that phone able to receive signals on a GSM network?

I mean can I use it in the UK? I really like it
Any male can have a child, but it takes a real man to be a father.
Name's Iain
Our Lady Peace > You
P900 is sweet
Sutitan
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 01:59
Personally I like the SO505iS. Has more curves and stuff...

Oh well. We have a just as well S700...
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 02:10
I was satisfied with my S700i's specs, but after reading this... wow...
I guess the only similarity is the swivel design...
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 02:34
@sidneylopsides

Thank you for a most interesting review.

It is a shame that we don't see such technology here, why the manaufacturers don't think Europeans would wwant such a device is beyond me. Any network that sold a compatible version of the SO505 would be guaranteed fantatsic sales.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
lesha
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 08:34
2sidneylopsides
Thanks a lot for this review.
imho, s700 better than 2 phone, but it is very bad that our phone has 176*144 video recording, while another 320*240
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 09:11
@sidneylopsides: Brilliant review man!
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
k4m!k4ze
W710 Violet
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 09:19
@sidneylopsides- Brilliant review ! SO505iS is really awesome

Does anybody know the price of the SO505iS ?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of your attempt !!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 09:55
Excellent Review Sidney. I have always been a fan of the Japanese handsets. The So505is has been around for a while if I am not mistaken and many of these are collectors items outside of Japan, although it is a shame it can not be used on our networks.

It is interesting to finally get proof that the S700i is based on a proven Japanese design. I love it. With all those menus I don't think I would be able to put the thing down if I had one. (What a saddo I am ).

Nice work.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2005-01-21 10:03 ]
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 11:37
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/p_s/products/mova/505i.html

It comes in more sober colours too and what a network. Never bothered to venture onto the docomo site before. Wish I hadn't now!

Interesting how all the models on there are not 'Japanese looking' - not that I give a toss either way, just interesting in my field of work.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 13:55
@Peanut check out the flash handsets in the handset gallery of www.nttdocomo.com .

The flash presentations are superb...
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 14:03
Well Done!

Fantastic, always wondered their similarity!

Now give me them both **drools** [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi