Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > o2 delivery reports?

Previous  12
Author o2 delivery reports?
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-18 21:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I always found it odd that O2 could not do delivery reports correctly, dut now I know why! A very useful series of posts.

Having dissed O2, I have to say that the lack of delivery reports is more than made up for the lack of horrendous customisation of the phone most other networks insist on giving us! O2 also have great online deals too (with 500 free texts per month), which is one of the main reasons I have stayed with them.

Mind you, if I had a Voda or Orange phone I would just use DaVinci and remove all the foul customisations anyway. I did it for my O2 K700 just to get an updated formware and remove the O2 icon in the main menu

hlchoo
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 13:42
does anyone know whether we will get charged for the delivery report? thanks!
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 15:26
To Make It Easier for everyone to understand here i go.

Orange do a delivery report on all tarrifs, If you are on PAYG and a non Animal Tarriff then the report is free. Animal Tarrifs are charged at 1p a time.

No other networks charge for the delivery report.

O2 uses a older system of sending sms and this is why you dont get a report without typing in *0#

All the other networks updated the sms platforms to incorparte the delivery reports.

And the answer will 02 upgarde. currenlty no. The sms works so why mess with something that isnt faulty.

Hope this all makes sense.

dcuk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 15:38
Delivery reports are not chargeable as it's not a SMS sent to you, it's more like an acknowledging 'ping' (in computer terms) or tiny signal that bounces back,

I'm guessing they just need to update their systems but it would take a lot of doing to implement a new system while the old one is handling all the messages and do a handshake as they switch over,

you can't just switch a new one on and the old one off, imagine all the lost messages and angry customers (well maybe they could on New years eve at midnight when most message systems seem to collapse under the strain after all who would know! lol
(kiddin)

I think they will get there eventually with SMS as an example MMS delivery reports are working on O2.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Dcuk
dcuk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 15:53
Hey darrengf,

I didn't know you were typing an answer, I should have waited.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Dcuk
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 18:55
Quote:

On 2006-11-02 15:53:39, dcuk wrote:
Hey darrengf,

I didn't know you were typing an answer, I should have waited.

Hey no probs lol

But just make you all aware Delivery Reports are Chargeable on orange animal Tarrifs. Orange is the only network that charge for the privilage.

If you are not on an Animal Tarrif, you are not affected.

Hope this helps
mozinga
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 19:43
How long would it take for 02 to upgrade there sms server thing? I was thinking they could do a free texxt day like they once did a free call day and then at a peak time do what they have to do, surely they're too busy on Ney Years Eve?
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 19:57
I don't see what the point is in reports its just another way to pry into ppl, I mean send a txt to someone they get it they dont reply back big deal.

This message was posted from a K750i
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-11-02 20:02
I find it useful often, as my wife works shifts and often has her phone off, it means I know when she's turned her phone on and recieved a text message, for example when she's on her break or turning her phone on to come home. I don't use them all the time, just when I want to know if a text's been recieved or not
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

dcuk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-11-02 22:17
Hey mozinga,

I was joking about doing the switch over on New years eve, I did type "(kiddin)" just underneath.
Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Dcuk
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi