Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How To Sync P910i With iSync (Solution) (Updated for 10.3.8)

Author How To Sync P910i With iSync (Solution) (Updated for 10.3.8)
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-10 20:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Solution below will as far as I know work fine on anything prior to 10.3.8, but if you want to use this on 3.8, then i have re-written the instructions using a different file here: http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=80311&start=45

Hi there, to start this post off: I have received a ton of requests for help with their P910is and iSync. So instead of replying individually to everyone, I decided to post it here.
First step: Go to /system/library/application support/syncservice and then find a file in /501 called SymbianConduitDefaults.plist. Drag this file to the desktop. Now delete all the folders contained in /system/library/application support/syncservice/. They will be called things like 501, 508 etc.
Second Step: Open and then quit iSync.
Third Step: Open the file you just dragged to the desktop. Open it in textedit if it asks you for an application. Delete the file's contents and replace it with the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
<dict>
<key>kBTEmptyFolderIsOkayReally</key>
<false/>
<key>kBTFilteringDestinationFolderID</key>
<string>F 126881400.11</string>
<key>kBTFilteringDestinationFolderName</key>
<string>General</string>
<key>kNSSyncConduitFilteringContactGroupMap</key>
<dict/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceID</key>
<string>00-0f-de-87-3d-56</string>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceName</key>
<string>LoZ</string>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceShouldSlowSyncCalendars</key>
<true/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceShouldSlowSyncContacts</key>
<true/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceUseCalendars</key>
<true/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceUseContacts</key>
<true/>
<key>kSymbianConduitModelKey</key>
<string>P910-1</string>
<key>kSymbianHasDeviceSynced</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</array>
</plist>

This part of the file must be personalised:

<key>kNSSyncDeviceID</key>
<string>00-0f-de-87-3d-56</string>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceName</key>
<string>LoZ</string>

Go into system preferences -> bluetooth and click on the devices tab at the top. Select your P910i from the list. Copy the number that is found in the detailed info view section that is in the format of "00-0f-de-87-3d-56" and paste it into your file that you've opened and are editing in textedit.
Also replace the name for your device with the name that your device actually has.
Fourth Step: Save the file to your desktop.
Fifth Step:
Move the file from the desktop to /system/library/application support/syncservice/*whatever folder is here -- there's only one now*/ and overwrite the file that's there already (might not be one).
Sixth Step: Open up iSync and click Sync!!!
Seventh Step: Thank me profusely for the help

If you are using a P910a, please replace ALL instances of P910-1 with P910-2 OTHERWISE the sync won't work at all.

[ This Message was edited by: ~lozishere~ on 2005-03-31 03:12 ]
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-18 21:05
Ok, I'm confused: I had 15 Private messages or so, all askig for a P910i solution, and now I post one, no-one's interested in it... Seems a touch strange!!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-19 10:31
Maybe people have read your post, used it and it worked perfectly! No further questions required!!
mores
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-01-19 12:47
any idea if this will work on a p900 as well?

because i can sync contacts, but whenever i activate ical sync, i get an "p900 not ready" or "not found" error.

"kBTEmptyFolderIsOkayReally" ??? that must have been a programmer with a sense of humor

[ This Message was edited by: mores on 2005-01-19 11:51 ]
Grubbytoy
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 12:43
I tried this fix last night and it worked first time. I am so happy. I had resigned myself to waiting for an iSync update or Tiger to fix the sync problem. Thanks for taking the time to sort this out.

[ This Message was edited by: Grubbytoy on 2005-01-20 11:46 ]
ejp
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 18:00
followed your excellent instructions haven't enough people told you that?? got the p910i to sync but when trying to sync again it consistently can't find the phone. Have tried someone else's idea and selected browse device first. Surely there must be an easier way?
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-28 00:14
hi, glad to hear you found my little tutorial useful!
i would try and make a nice little installation script to stream-line the whole process, but my mac literally blew up and i now have a dead mother board. i have a mac mini on its way from the U.S. but i have this feeling that i have lost my itunes as well as the rest of my data as the 3.5 inch hard disks i was using in my powermac don't fit in the mini (2.5 inch disks).
mpr
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-29 21:53
Same here. I've followed those instructions and I'm still having the same problem. After an intial Sync, following syncs seem to fail. Aside from browsing the device first and iSync's (which seems to work most of the time), Apple recommends you reboot the unit a couple of times to get it working (and it does work).

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93179

Any suggestions? (Aside from some creative Apple Scripting?)

Grubbytoy
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-31 19:34
I was looking inside my syncservice files and found lots of stuff pertaining to other devices I had been syncing with. Mainly left over palm conduits and other stuff I was not able to identify. I found an isync uninstaller that was used to remove beta versions on Apple site, ran this and reinstalled the latest iSync.

This, in combination with the alteration of the Symbian conduit, has led to my p910i syncing perfectly, everytime in under 6 minutes. The best it has been with any device. I think that the left over conduits was confusing things a bit.

If you are still having trouble, give this a go....
Himan!
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-01 16:08
Thanks for finding and posting this work around. It worked the first time just fine! However, my problem now is that I get a bluetooth time out on the phone that disconnects iSync. In the iSync process I get a message saying that it couldn't connect to the phone. Howcome? Does anyone know how to avoid the bluetooth time out of my SE P910i?
Reg.
jackietreehorn
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-01 16:10
Thanks!!! it worked like a charm.

r
Grubbytoy
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-02-01 17:17
On the p910i, in the conrol panel > Connections > Bluetooth > Devices > "your computer name", make sure the "Allow to connect without confirmation" is ticked. This was the cause of my timeouts when I set my device up initially. If this doesn't work, erase the pairing in both p910i and computer and start from scratch.

Just bought a 512mb card for my p910i. Just need to find a less tedious way of transfering mp3's without buying another card reader.
Himan!
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-03 11:19
THNX for this tip. This trick works perfectly! I am back in business again.
ProfTournesol
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-04 12:30
doesn't work at all for me. I was syncing OK before apart from duplicating iCal entries, now it can't find my phone at all - double checked the address, ID etc.
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-04 13:13
Well maybe you did something wrong? Make sure you follow the instructions 100%!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi