Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > mms specifications

Author mms specifications
eAlex
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-06-28 02:26
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm trying to determine how MMS works so I can make a small gateway for fun. What I've found so far is that it works like this:

When a message is sent, the phone opens a data connection, by hscsd or gprs and connects to the mms server
the mms server sends a sms to the person the message is for with a code the phone interprets that probably contains an ID of the multimedia message.
then when u check your mms inbox, cus it tells u about the new message, it sends the ID from the sms to the message server and the message server gives it the message.

this is all just basics. what im trying to figure out first is what it says in the sms that tells the phone it got a new mms. then the protocol of the mms gateway server.

intercepting the sms part is preety easy, i will put my sim in a old nokia phone that has no idea how to interpret that, and see what comes up.

however, im looking for people to volunteer to help me with this project and any information about mms will be highly appreciated.

ealex2k@hotmail.com
float
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-06-28 06:04
Intresting.

I doubt an "old nokia" phone will tells you anything, i think the usefull data for a MMS capable phone will be located in "User Data Header" which will not be shown in the text.

You should however see the URL in the text area (for compatibility with non-MMS phone) so that the receipient can retrieve the message via WAP or PC.

That's all i heard.

Cheers,
floAt
x-daemon
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-06-28 09:24
check the developer section of www.sonyericsson.com or www.ericsson.com/mobilityworld
| P800
eAlex
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-06-28 16:54
the WAP forum is what makes the mms standards, but the docs are so long and mostly describe the protocol between mms servers, not a server and the phone. i'll see what i'll do. no one seems to give a shit for making a free mms gateway for those who's provider doesnt do that
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi