Author New Sony Vaio U series
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-10 16:14
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
as a big fan of Vaio I like the look of this

ULTRA PERSONAL COMPUTING IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND

Sony VAIO U-Series Notebook Combines Power of Full-size PC with Portability of PDA

SAN DIEGO, Nov. 9, 2004 _ At a shade over 1 pound, Sony's new VAIO® U Ultra Portable PC, announced today, has the heart of a PC but the soul of an entertainer.

Doubling as a portable media player, this "pocketable" PC allows you to download entertainment content and enjoy it virtually anywhere you go. Integrated 802.11 b/g wireless LAN connects you to thousands of hotspots across the country and helps you stay in touch with the Internet, email and your favorite digital content download services.

Multiple input modes contribute to the PC's extreme versatility. Using the stylus and virtual keyboard on the unit's touch panel screen, you can compose email messages or navigate files even while standing up. Handwriting recognition software simplifies note-taking or annotating documents. Users can also quickly launch programs or execute common commands with thumb-controlled action buttons, or draft longer text files with the included foldout keyboard.

"The U-Series expands the usability of portable PCs beyond the realm of even the lightest traditional notebooks," said Mike Abary, general manager of VAIO PC marketing for Sony Electronics' IT Products Division. "It fits a full-fledged Windows® operating system, Intel® processor and all the entertainment capabilities that make it a Sony, into a `go-anywhere' package that's smaller than a paperback novel."

The unit's 5-inch display with XBRITE™ LCD technology brings movies and photos to life with crisp, high-contrast playback. Memory Stick® and Compact Flash media slots make it easy to import files or digital photos from a variety of digital still cameras. With intuitive thumb controls, users can change the display orientation on the fly, from landscape to portrait mode and back, for optimal viewing of virtually any content.

Whatever, Wherever

Included accessories make the PC even more effective in a variety of different environments. The inner-ear headphones and remote control make digital music and movies a joy whether you're on a plane or on the run. The mobile AC adapter, foldout keyboard and VGA/Ethernet adapter combine for an ideal road package. At home, the port replicator facilitates charging while connecting the PC to a variety of external devices such as a mouse, display, hard drive and/or optical drive.

An Intel® Ultra Low Voltage Pentium® M processor and Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional operating system ensure that the power and the platform for general computing tasks exist on the VAIO U notebook. And exclusive applications, such as SonicStage® software, allow users to take maximum control of their digital content, reinforcing Sony's commitment to entertainment.

The VAIO U Ultra Portable notebook will be available next month at SonyStyle stores and other select retailers, as well as online at www.sonystyle.com for about $2,000.

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-10 16:25
@masseur

People can say what they like about Sony, but when they produce things like that it makes one realise why one pays that little bit more.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-11-10 16:27
I've always been a Sony fan. The above product is a prime example of why they are world leaders.
Hello, Scroto!

U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, you ugly!
Atlis
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-10 16:30
That Sony thingy looks really cool!

This message was posted from a K700i

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-10 16:30
I have to agree. my whole family have vaio computers and most of our home electronics, cameras etc seem to be Sony too. I don't go looking for particular brands but when it comes down to buying decision time Sony always seems to be the best choice
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-10 16:37
@masseur

That's Sony Style for you.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
riflogic
W960
PM
Posted: 2004-11-10 17:20
I agree. Everything (electronics) I seem to have SONY written on them! Again, I don't prejudge what I will buy just by looking at the brand, but somehow, I always seem to end up with a SONY.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-11 15:19
Full Review with pictures here

[addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-28 07:11
Expansys now have the U750P (20GB, P-M 1.1GHz, 512MB, WiFi
) in stock for Ł1,499.95

amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-29 01:15
@ methylated_spirit

World Leaders?
I know they're popular in the US and UK.

Not in the Middle East, 100% NOT in Japan...
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
The_Nashy
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 09:13
Right.....

Sony are the biggest, and best brand in the world. Their domination will continue into the future.

The only brand that comes slightly close is Panasonic, and they are way behind.
jontyf
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 10:59
I read in a magazine that you needed to import that?
Looks amazing though!
Elle - "...Which in the very near future, will be my sword"
Bea - "Bitch, you dont have a future..."
Bea - "... What did you say to Pai Mey to make him snatch out your eye?"
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi