Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author South African mobile discussion
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-26 11:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What I dont understand is why MTN-SA is coming up with EDGE now when they have plans to go 3G next year.

While I see the commercial sense behind Vodacom introducing VodaLive! on its network, I have never been impressed with the horrible alterations that Vodafone inflicts on handsets in the name of branding! :-|
PS: I used to be known as AYA
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-29 19:51
@ coolapostle...I'm not sure about the number of GPRS subscribers but they should number about 1million on all three networks....About 60% of the market in SA is still prepaid.

About not mentioning Cell C well not too many people I know use the network...only a couple of months ago they introduced GPRS- two years after the other networks introduced it and they still don't offer MMS. Judge for yourself why I never mention them...they're hardly innovating.

brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-29 19:55
@AYA...No-one in SA will ever tolerate network branded cellphones thats an irritation that American and European users will have to deal with.

MTN tried it in the early days with Alcatel handsets but no-one bought these phones because they simply looked ugly- especially with MTN's logo all over the place.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-30 09:07
Quote:

On 2004-11-29 19:55:30, brix25 wrote:
@AYA...No-one in SA will ever tolerate network branded cellphones thats an irritation that American and European users will have to deal with.

MTN tried it in the early days with Alcatel handsets but no-one bought these phones because they simply looked ugly- especially with MTN's logo all over the place.

Tell me about how that MTN logo looks ugly! Unfortunately, Nigerians bought it when they implemented it in the country. Shame.
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-30 09:47
Indeed AYA, that logo looks ugy.

Yesterday I got myself a brand new T68i....Basically the same phone as my old T300 but without polyphonics and Mophun games...I'll miss her but of late she's be giving me problems...reception was bad and I missed vital calls on the weekend which landed me in trouble so the decision was made to ditch the phone.

The biggest motivating factor for choosing the T68i was Bluetooth and the fact that I was used to the User Interface...would hate to buy a phone and spend the better part of two days getting to know it's ins and outs.

Was thinking of the K700i but I want to go on holiday across South Africa this December and in the toss up between seeing this beautiful country and buying a cellphone...South Africa came out victorious.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-30 10:11
@brix25. Sounds to me like you made the right decision, mate. Let's know what SA (the rest of it, that is) is like on your return.
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-30 21:44
It will only be for a week but I won't be visiting either Joburg or Durban...there's enough drama in Cape Town.

I'll be in the Eastern Cape and the semi-arid Karoo region hope to post some pics in the New Year when I return to work.
coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-12-01 17:09
Now that you will be gone... who will keep this thread going? Have a great holiday.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-01 18:28
Quote:

On 2004-12-01 17:09:05, coolapostle wrote:
Now that you will be gone... who will keep this thread going?

Good question, since it seems SA is populated by only 1 South African & 2 Nigerians

Bon voyage, Brix25!
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-01 20:57
Quote:

On 2004-12-01 18:28:00, AYA wrote:
Good question, since it seems SA is populated by only 1 South African & 2 Nigerians

Bon voyage, Brix25!

I'm not gone yet guys so please don't bid farewell.

Interesting news my friend AndyO from Wirelessmonkey fame boasts that he is one of only handful of people in Cape Town with the new S700i...went aroun d town today snapping pics and almost got arrested for taking a picture of high profile government building.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-02 11:32
Hmn. Sounds like a scene off the streets of my dear country.
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-02 20:05
Usually police and the army are not heavy-handed when it comes to taking pictures of goverment buildings- he was taking one of the Reserve Bank building.

brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-17 16:29
I'm trying hard to keep this thread going with titbits of information.

This week we heard that Virgin Mobile were in discussions with Cell C...to do exactly what is stilll a mystery, either Branson is going to buy into the company and rebrand it as Virgin Mobile or something of that sort.

They've also announced that they would be introducing 3G sometime next year...lets all wait and see.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-17 17:48
Judging by what I hear of CellC, looks like they need an injection of drive, something the Dick Branson boys seem to have plenty of.
coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-12-17 17:55
Brandson is also talking with Vmobile Nigeria. That man is up to something. How was ur holiday man? The full details PULEESE... :)

This message was posted from a T610

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic