Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Author South African mobile discussion
coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-11-08 16:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Brix So MTN SA has given up in SA right? Too bad. Why do U think Voda is so popular? What is their USP? What is so special about them? @AYA... I think we should continue the GLO thing in our backyard ko? Let's not ruin SA's turf.
OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-08 17:00
@coolapostle: Appropriate, my dear sir. See u at Proudly Nigerian. Our apologies, brix :)

This message was posted from a P800

coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-11-08 17:56
@brix Is there any online newsletter that I can subscribe to that will inform me about the SA GSM market? Or any website with a forum that is popular? I am interested.
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-08 19:17
BREAKING NEWS!!! Last week MTN switched on their EDGE network in South Africa... This means that most of the country will have access to high speed mobile data in the palm of their hands. If you want to be kept up to date on developments in the South African mobile industry email my friend AndyO who brings out a regular newsletter... andyo@isoap.co.za

This message was posted from a T300

coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-11-09 10:19
Apart from faster speed, whats so special about EDGE. Will someone without a camphone and GPRS feel the impact? ( BTW Thanks 4 the addr. I sent the mail last night.)

This message was posted from a T610

Siosal
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-09 10:43
Howzit SA. I've been surfing esato for ages and this is the first time I
noticed an SA thread. I have an SE K700i, previously had a t68i.
Pretty much converted everybody in my family to SE.

Vodacom is more popular in SA because they tend to have fewer major network problems than mtn. If you recall there was a period a few years ago when mtn would be down for an entire day. They also have wider coverage. Especially when roaming. Not saying they have no problems, just not as major.
coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-11-09 15:58
Hey brix! Where u at? Someone has shown up! Great to have u. Ok lets continue... Are u saying MTN is perceived as a network with poor call quality?

brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-09 18:45
I've used both networks (won't comment on CellC) and the only problem I had with MTN was their coverage in the forgotten parts of the country. Vodacom has excellent customer service and wide coverage but they're always trying to get more money from their subscribers. EDGE will make working out of the office easier because you would be able to have access to data @ rates comparable to what you would get working behind your desk at the office.

coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-11-09 19:06
I still dont see the major advantage. It seems kinda elitist to me. How many ordinary folks want to send data with their phones? Will it reduce ur GPRS bill? Or will it help u browse faster?

brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-09 20:27
EDGE is as elitest as GSM was in 1993... I'm a journalist and I can see the benefit of a faster data connection when working out in the field with a laptop... I would just slip in the EDGE-enabled data card connect to the my office network without any hassles, and at a fast speed...saving a lot of time in the process.

OluYom
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-10 08:11
@Coolapostle: EDGE makes the concept of High speed internet more real than GPRS does. Theoretically, it should leave GPRS in d dust, in terms of speed. I say 'theoretically' because in real life for example, the average GPRS connection is little faster than a CSD connection (I've played around with Glo GPRS vs MTN CSD and that's my conclusion). In which case, we have to see how its implemented. About cost, we'll have to wait and see about that, wont we? But to all intents and purposes it is an always-on platform like GPRS.
PS: I used to be known as AYA
Angelgirl
Samsung Galaxy Ace 2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-10 17:12
Keep it up u all...........greetings from Nigeria
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-10 18:41
Something that pisses me off about networks in SA is that they don't offer GPRS to Pay-as-You-Go subscribers...as soon as they do that you'll get more people on wap.
grav80
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-11-10 18:57
That means that the last time you were in SA was when dinosaurs still roamed our land. Anyway anyone know he s700 is here in SA yet and how much?

This message was posted from a T230

coolapostle
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-11-10 19:13
I was over at Prodigits (twilightwap.com) where I stumbled on a group of MTN SA subs feeling bad at the GPRS tariffs that were to start 2moro and saying goodbyes. Whats it all about? (BTW I invited them here) @Grav If U are new... Welcome :-*

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic