Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Author South African mobile discussion
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 02:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
It's just started snowing. What a way to start the year. In all my years here, this is my first white New Year.
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
adhgklk
C905 Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 06:51
Happy New Year!

...from Dominican Forum/Foro Dominicano!
EMW UNRATED

Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 09:42
Happy new years guys, Have a very prosperous one!

Thanks to adhgklk from the Dominican Forum!
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 10:03
HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody! Hope everyone is well and safe.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 12:17
¡Felíz año nuevo, adhgklk !
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 14:28
Taken from The Register:

'iSlate? I spy more control from Cupertino

Apple is probably going to launch some sort of tablet PC next month, probably on January the 26th, but is this a revolution in computing or a revolution in control?

The iSlate will take the iPhone concept into a decent-sized package, but more importantly for Apple it takes the security and control model into the realm of laptop computing. From there it's a small jump to the desktop and Cupertino control over everything you do on your computer.

Microsoft once suggested that Windows applications should be digitally signed, by Redmond, and that this would remove Trojans, viruses and all manner of nastiness, but the company was swiftly shouted down by customers who feared ceding control to the beast.

Since 2003 the Trusted Computing Platform has tried to do the same thing - creating hardware capable of implementing software policies to control the applications and use to which the hardware is put. In Trusted Computing the user is still free to replace the OS, but if they choose to run one that takes advantage of the Trusted Computing architecture then the hardware will limit the capabilities of unauthorised applications.

But Apple has already achieved that with the iPhone: there are no iPhone Trojans or viruses, and the only worm so far seen exploits handsets that have been hacked by their owners. Apple vets every application, through its obscure and sometimes inconsistent approval process, and who wouldn't want a desktop computer free of malware?

Along with rumours of a January 26 launch date, and orders for 10-inch screens in abundance, stories are circulating that some iPhone developers have been given a nod that if their applications are flexible about resolution then they'll run without difficulty on the iSlate*. This would certainly indicate a shared architecture.

Stick a Bluetooth keyboard on the iSlate and it's a laptop replacement, extending the manufacture-controlled model into desktop computing.

We have no idea if the iSlate will launch in January, or what kind of wiz-bang interface will wow the fans, but we are confident that applications for the iSlate will be limited to those approved by Apple, and that Apple won’t be relinquishing that control any day soon.

* Apple has registered the islate.com domain. It seems that iguide.com is also in Cupertino's possession but we're going with iSlate.'
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 14:31
Also taken from The Register:

'Hackers have mailed 21,000 customers of iPhoneUnlockUK to remind them the company uses unlicensed software, and that their details have been compromised.

E-mails were sent out to customers of the iPhone unlocking service, with claims that iPhoneUnlockUK is guilty of stealing software and selling it illegally. The mail goes on to recommend that customers demand their money back from the company.

iPhoneUnlockUK did have its servers hacked back in February, at which time customer details including e-mail and physical addresses were copied and the website was defaced. Since then the company has changed hosts (from Fasthosts to Rackspace) and tells us that it hasn't suffered any further breaches.

Credit card transactions are handled by a separate company so no financial details were compromised. But those e-mail addresses do provide access to the user's accounts, which are not password protected. That means a list of handset serial numbers, and when they were unlocked.

iPhoneUnlockUK provides an unlocking service for iPhones, but utilises software created by volunteers known as the iPhone Dev Team. The licence for that software prohibits commercial use, and the company admits it shouldn't have made use of it initially but that since then its attempts to work with the Dev Team have been rebuffed.

The company claims to provide a value-added service, technical support and suchlike, to those who don't want the complexity of downloading and running the software themselves. The Dev Team sees the company as parasites lining their pockets with the work of others while pretending to have developed the software themselves.

The hacker, who emphasises the Dev Team aren't involved with the mailing, has obviously got bored trying to think of something more interesting to do with the data so has mailed everyone to let them know that they spent money on something that they could have got for free.'
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 15:39
Happy new year for y'all

May you achieve your goals. Have a healthy year and blessings
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 17:34
Hope you all had a good 1st day of 2010, dont think il be donating any blood this year as all that would flow out my veins is a mixture of Jack D, patron,hunters and whatever else ive had between yday afternoon and today glad the celebrating is over as i dont think i could handle anymore
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11†2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 18:39
Thanks tranced. May you have a blessed 2010 as well, mate.

@ Gucci:
Sigh, I was kinda hoping you'd be posting around here much earlier this morning...
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 19:44
Happy New Year, folks. Play ball!
I'm not superstitious, merely mildly stitious.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-01 23:34
P1i macro pics:

Ferrero (as in Rocher) make these sherry liqueur-filled delights for the French market. Apt name too, LOL:

[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2010-01-01 22:36 ]
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2010-01-02 09:32
LMAO! Wanqs,never again ,great pics there,wouldnt mind some of those.
All
4th day with the 5800,still not a single reboot or freeze, used the camera a lot between thursday and yesterday, just taking stupid pics of us for facebook, anyway it managed just fine some pics blurry,thank goodness ,and others realy good.The battery life is realy impressive,it died at around 3am yday morning, charged to full took it off at like 5am, took more pics, some facebooking,posted here, did quite a few calls,listened to music,then like 4hours constant web browsing, it only died at around 10pm last night. Realy nice
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11†2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-02 14:40
Aaaah, Gucci. Spoil-sport. LOL.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2010-01-02 14:45
Google Phone to be launched on Tuesday:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nexus[....]g_on_january_5th-news-1348.php
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic