Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Previous  123 ... 113114115 ... 181018111812  Next
Author South African mobile discussion
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 09:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I also think it's a good move...if you want an expensive phone on a cheap talk package the only thing to do would be to pay for it. In more news it's been confirmed that Cell C and Virgin will be entering into a joint venture details of which should be announced soon. And a final note MTN made about R6 billion in profits...pity they still don't have any GPRS service in Nigeria.

This message was posted from a K700i

WirelessMonkey
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 09:26
Hulo mense - Brix25 has asked me to report on my adventures with the new Sony Ericsson K600i - arguably the world's smallest pretty 3G cellphone. If you've been checking the stats on the K750i - then minus the 2megapix, the memory card and music play button... add 3G speeds and video calling and you have the K600i. Pretty to look at, pretty to play with and awesome music quality.

Best... radio has RDS with AF... that's like f%&&$@# and call me Martha! Menu system is nicely animated, as is the K750i (yes I have that to) but I find the screen a little bit cramped. The phone I have is way pre-release and has crashed and all that shite. I've become accustomed to the trying nature of beta phones so I tend to look past these.

On 3G - MTN delivered about 40kbits/sec (measured using a WAP speed test site)... while Vodacom battled. I guess that this has to do with where I live. Also my office desk doesn't have Voda3G coverage ... I have to walk to the other side of the MSC/KPMG building on the Foreshore to get a good Voda 3G signal.

Driving about town this morning I noticed that Vodacom has wider 3G coverage than MTN... at least along the Atlantic seaboard. I tried a video call on MTN 3G but failed... also I don't know anyone on MTN with a 3G phone, while I've made a few video calls on Vodacom... compared to Motorola and Samsung, the K600 is substandard (video call only) displaying a very pixelated incoming screen.

I remind you that this is PRE-RELEASE! and I've had camera issues before with SE pre-release phones. I expect that all of this will be addressed when the phone is released in about two months.

Okay... Brix25... I'll keep you posted about my K750i adventures that start as soon as my 512 MStick DUO PRO arrives next week. Ordered one on Digital Planet for a third cheaper than store prices, and a reader at almost half store prices.

:: Brix25... I was gonna offer to pop over to the Cape Times today but I forget that you blokes take Fridays off

:: Cheers :: ed!
To ensure that I get your response plse priv message me.
http://www.wirelessmonkey.co.za
For Apple/Sony Ericsson resources plse visit http://www.wirelessmonkey.co.za/sonyericsson
WirelessMonkey
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 09:38
Okay... in defense of the folks in Blue & Green... Vodacom... I just measured their 3G using the same speed test WAP site - 74kbits/sec... on the K600i (pre-release and un-approved)... folks that's definitely a f$$#^^$ and call me Judy.

I've been impressed with my Vodacom 3G experience - tried it on a Motorola E1000, Nokia 6630, Samsung Z130, SE V800 and now the K600i. Folks... it's early days for 3G and one must not forget that 3G is an entirely new UMTS network (same tech as Sentech). It's worth it... and getting it makes your a technology warrior, or as we say in Africa, a techo lion!

[ This Message was edited by: WirelessMonkey on 2005-06-10 08:39 ]
Mohil
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 09:46
Thanks, MonkeyMan! I was worried about all the talk going around about Vodacom's slow data rates. I'm glad you sorted that out. BTW, you didn't perhaps test the data rates on a N6680, did you?
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 09:46
Very nice review mr munkey!!!

Whats the memory on the k600???? there shuda been a mem card!!!!!

do u have a prototype K750????
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 09:55
Cool review Monkey Man... Always knew that the K600 would be aimed at the budget conscious buyer... Hopefully I'll get to play with the K750 on Monday.

Rhino8
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 10:52
Anybody got a price on nokia 6680 yet?
Mohil
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 11:02
Cellphones Direct already has the 6680 on their website. It's free from the Talk 500 upwards. It's R1209 on the Talk 120/100. I'm not sure about the Weekender. I think R2009 or something similar.
CodeMaster
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 12:09
Does anyone know what the 'Vodafone Live!' settings are for non-branded phones?

And NO Tahir, I will not get my phone flashed with branded firmware...
(in anticipation of your response)

[ This Message was edited by: CodeMaster on 2005-06-10 11:10 ]
Mohil
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 13:58
Sorry for sounding a bit backward here, but what exactly does it mean to "flash" a phone? Is it a common procedure? How does it work? What does it do? Does it void your warranty? Where can it be done?

Sorry again for the numerous questions... But help would be appreciated.
Rhino8
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 15:52
Flashing is when you upgrade your software. Dont think it voids ya warrenty if you do it at your network provider
ARSENAL : Samsung Galaxy SII
http://members.esato.com/rhino8
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2005-06-10 16:56
I don't have any experience with 'flashing' in SA, but in the UK, a lot of independent cellphone dealers who are able to unlock handsets (usually) are also able to flash them. However, the networks here will not just flash them, which usually restores most of the original settings and can get rid of some of the network software restrictions.

An example, when I bought the Nokia 7600's, they were locked to the '3' network. Unlocking was easy enough, but some of the menus (eg. network settings) were hidden by 3's software on the phone, to 'discourage' you further from using other sims. Flashing the phones got rid of these restrictions.I touched on this in my previous post.

What the networks and phone manufacturers here WILL do for you, at assigned service centres or established cellphone retailers, is give your phone firmware upgrades, which is updating the software etc.
There are standard firmware upgrades for specific phones from the manufacturer, but also different networks here can have firmware upgrades..you see on esato occasionally that eg. Orange p910 firmware update is now available etc.
Firmware upgrades by authorised service centres and retailers will not invalidate your warranty. They may flash your phone if there is a serious problem, but as they are an authorised centre, it will still not invalidate it.
Unlocking a phone certainly will invalidate a cellphone warranty. Neither the network or the phone manufacturer will touch it. Flashing from an unauthorised dealer...probably, but I'm not sure.

[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2005-06-10 15:58 ]
mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 17:06
@ Amawanga yes I wanted the 6680 but after reading quite a few customer's feed backs,I've changed my mind. The 6680 has one small disadvantage - only 10MB memory and 1MB RAM ! - also does't support wifi ! And only 1mp fixed focus cam (not too big of a disadvantage) but the memory doesn't allow for seemless multitasking with all the new programs for the mighty S60 operating system ! I usually I use instant messaging,irc and chess on my old 7650 at once ! I espect my new device to be at least as good ! On the other hand the new N91 does all I want from a cell (as of now). I don't buy a phone every year.If I buy, it must be the 'right' one because I spend lots of time the first few months to learn it inside out.I can do now things with my 7650 which some new devices can't do or the owners don't know how to do it :-)

This message was posted from a Nokia 7650

brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 17:16
No thoughts of flashing my phone yet..current firmware RAE0033 works like a charm. I think people buying the K750 should note that they are due to encounter bugs...until a more stable firmware update arrives.

WirelessMonkey
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-10 23:13
Okay here goes....

>> Thanks, MonkeyMan! I was worried about all the talk going around about Vodacom's slow data rates. I'm glad you sorted that out. BTW, you didn't perhaps test the data rates on a N6680, did you?

REPLY: No I haven't yet because Nokia are still waiting for stock according to my peep who is none other than the Customer/Marketing Manager for Nokia Africa. I'll keep you posted when the phone is in my hands.

>>Very nice review mr munkey!!!

Whats the memory on the k600???? there shuda been a mem card!!!!!

do u have a prototype K750????

REPLY: The K750 is a commercial release... and freaks like shite! It's amazing... totally amazing. Loaded music and I'm booging like Martha after a night da clubs. The K600 is a little gem... herself... I say "herself" because she looks very beautiful not like the nigga brutha that spits black power... the K750! The K600 is a solid 32MB and that's it! No more memory for that soon to go blond bimbo phone, but she's real pretty in my hands.

>> Does anyone know what the 'Vodafone Live!' settings are for non-branded phones?

REPLY: Don't go messing there bro... Vodafone will fry you alive and feed you to their eagles. You gotta get a Vodafone live! bellbox - they're not half bad little beauties and the V800 did win the 3GSM Award as the Best 3G cellphone for 2005.

>> I don't have any experience with 'flashing' in SA

REPLY: ever been to Sandy Bay? loads of flashing going on down there

And last thing... this is a Sony Ericsson forum... now will you other lesser creatures please leave us holier creatures to be. Love you all... great chatting... phone's ringing... and OH YES!... get this... I get this anonymous WAp linked SMS'd to me and guess what... it's a link to some demo MTN 3G shite! like live DSTV and live public cameras... I think MTN is still in the running for the shite! hottie bootie award.. even if they had a slow start. You gotta luv Africans... we're so much more exciting that the pomies!

Luv and all - - -