Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Tips and tricks > Dialling a landline number using your cellphone

Author Dialling a landline number using your cellphone
arunmr
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-02 13:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
This is what I found on a website.... Use it just for fun....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
You can use your mobile phone (MP) as a dialer if you need to make a call and the land line phone's (LP) keypad is locked. Simply go to the engineering menu of your MP, go to the diagnostic menu and select the earphone or speaker test. Then, simply put your MP's earpiece to the LP's mouth piece and dial the number on your MP.

Note: This can be very useful if you need to make and emergency phone call, you're a cheapskate, or as a party trick. This trick is here purely for it's educational value and should not be misused. This trick might also be illegal in your country.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
arunmr
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-02 13:47
Engineering menu means the secret menu in the phone.....

>*<<*<* brings up the secret menu in most ericsson phones
rudeboymcc
W960
PM
Posted: 2002-06-04 19:39
what's the point in that?
bjambean
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-06-04 19:57
Quote:

Note: This can be very useful if ... you're a cheapskate. This trick is here purely for it's educational value and should not be misused. This trick might also be illegal in your country.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You idiot!!!!!

Duh that's the whole point of dial tone phones! Are you presuming that if you aren't actually using your landline phone's buttons to make a call you are getting through for free?... erm.... NO! idiot!
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-06-05 00:42
this used to work many years ago in UK public phone boxes until BT modified them.

doesnt mean it wont work in other foreign countries still though.
lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-06-05 17:50
it was called phreaking back then, no more though. [addsig]
thefury
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-06-05 19:44
You also used to be able to "phreak" a landline by hitting the button under the phone handle the correct number of times (e.g. nine times for the digit nine). This too was stopped years ago.

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch these days kids! The networks are wise to all these Mickey Mouse tricks!
arunmr
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-07 13:18
bjamboy>>> i know i am not getting the call for free.... duh....
it was just a piece of info i found on a site..... i didn't particularly post it to educate people on how to make illegal phone calls...... anyway i haven't tried it yet, but i wouldnt be surprised if it DID work in India....

and i know it's called phreaking.... it's spread all over the net... on most hacking/cracking sites
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-06-07 13:39
phreaking?

what i'm talking about was done back when i had my Motorola 8500 handset - so for those who know that one you'll how long ago i'm talking about - it may have been all "over the net" but most people who are here now never had a mobile phone or internet access back then.
arunmr
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-08 09:12
i know decoy.... and thats why i posted it on esato.... thought it was a piece of info that would be interesting to know......
anyway......
Taimur
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-06-13 06:57
already tried it here in Pak doesn't work with the pay phones here either

-TT-
wrlee
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-06-16 05:53
For this to work, your land-line LL phone system must support DTMF (dual-tone, multiplic frequency) AKA TouchTone dialing. Old systems use the make/break system (simulated by hitting, rapidly on the hang-up button). I think some parts of the world use slightly different DTMF frequencies. Also, if the LL phone mic is not sensitive enough or you dont get the earphone of the cell close enough to the handset...

It should work anywhere in the US, at least. It is also useful when calling your touch tone answering machine from a foreign country to the US when you cant find a compatible touch tone phone.

Bill...

[ This Message was edited by: wrlee on 2002-06-16 04:58 ]
JoJo
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-07-03 07:05
1. in order for the phone to be locked it has to be a rotary phone.
2. if it is a rotary phone it means it's a pulse system and not dtmf
3. if it is not dtmf, then what's the point in sending dtmf tones with your cellphone.

Thank you for your piece of info though,
Just letting you know that it wouldn't work unless your country still uses rotary (very ancient),
JoJo
arunmr
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-07-03 21:15
@ jojo
almost all phones now in metropolitan cities like bombay are tone phones and not pulse. however, a physical lock (as in lock & key) on the keypad of phones can prevent you from dialling a number... hard to believe, but people & some shops actually physically lock their keypads so that numbers can't be dialled.... this would then be useful in that case.
anyway thanks for replying and the info...
- arun
Ten98
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-04 06:12
Some supermarkets have a telephone where you can phone a taxi for free. These phones will usually have one button (which dials the number of the taxi company) and will be connected to a non secure line. If one were to use a tone keypad on this phone, one could make any phone call for free. This is just one of many places where a tone pad can come in handy.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi