Author K700 user reviews
Lunna
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 14:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Very good review masseur

Have 3 questions about ringtones:

You can use an MP3 as an ringtone right? Can you here singers and instrument clear?

How is the volume on midi ringtones compared to T610/T300 or similar?

Thx again

// Lunna
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 15:01
yes, you can use MP3 as ringtone. I'm not very musically technical but I can say that it sounds great!
tom83
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 15:20
Great review Masseur.

I'm certainly getting a k700 to replace my t65 when it comes to the netherlands.

nosnaj
W610 Orange
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 15:21
I just replaced mu T65, hehe.
Charging the battery now on my K700, yeeeee
sahran
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 18:57
thanks for quick reply masseur

i have one question : did you try play AAC file in this little baby ??

thanks in advance
rmcrys
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 23:08
I knew today from a VERY SAFE source that, if SonyEricsson wanted, K700i could make movies at 354x288 but this hability should only be available in S700 as a high-end mobile.

That source said that depending on the firmware version a Java application could access VGA sensor and capture at 354x288 at 10fps with sound.

Well, unless a friend of ours that knows java try to make such application, we will never know...
Powered by SonyEricsson K750i
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-06-17 23:21
well I think what they have done is sensible. at the large size of 176x144 I get about 570kb/min

if you consider that 354x288 is approximately 4 times the pixels then the storage requirements shoot up and so you get less total recording time with the available memory.

since the S700 has MS duo it makes more sense for the S700 to have the higher resolution videos

then I suppose there is the question of the screen for playback (although yes you could transfer to pc), the K700 only having 176x220 whereas the S700 has 240x320

edit: ok I have unlocked this thread again but be aware it is only for posting of user reviews. any questions about the K700 or other discussion will be removed now without notice as they should be posted somewhere in the general discussions forum.

thanks for the understanding

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2004-06-20 19:29 ]
ac
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-22 08:28
Got my K700 last evening. The first reaction was from a guy present at the shop, who had just purchased the Nokia 7610... regret was written all over his face.

Just to share a few things I noticeed about my K700...

1. Battery on my phone is 700 mAh and not 670 as seen in most of the K700 photos
2. There is absolutely no lag
3. SMS/T9 is VERY fast. I'd say its on par with Nokia phones.
4. The '2' key does get stuck sometimes but only if I press the key on the top most part
5. The phonebook now has an option of selecting SIM contacts as the default phonebook
6. When you are scrolling through a list, I noticed that the speed of scrolling increases as you keeping the joystick held up/down. That sure is neat.

vojta66
W995 Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-06-22 09:05
my battery is also 700, not 670
chri5
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-06-22 23:41
Took delivery of my K700i earlier today...wow!!...very impressive. Been nothing to compete with my trusty T610 until now - I suppose only SE could have improved on that - but its as good as in the bin now. want to see on in the flesh? Vodafone stores here in Uk are stocking as of this week. I saw, I love, I buy!!
klant_fia
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-06-23 21:18
Hi!
Iīve heard that itīs difficlut to turn off the phone, is this true?

One friend of mine had to take out the battery so that the phone turned off!!

cboraman
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-06-25 00:41
Hi, got mt K700 today and I'm very much on the fence on a number of features.

1. I have about 190 contacts in my current T630 which I have transfered to the K700. I can create a shortcut on my T630 that takes me to Find a Contact. From here I can enter in the first 3 or 4 letters of a contacts name which reduces the choices as I may have loads of contacts who's name begins with D for example. The K700 does not allow this. You can only put in the first letter of a name but I can't find a way of entering B+R+O for Brown. The list of features in the Shortcuts menu is very limited. For me with a lot of contacts this is a nightmare when searching for contacts.

2. When you press the centre Nav key when the screen saver is showing does nothing. I used to pish the Nav key 4 times on my T630 and it would take me straight to Write New sms which is another good feature. You have to press one of the other buttons around the Nav ket before you can get to the icons.

3. The rubber cap on the system connector is awful. Why???

I'm sure I'll find a few other quirks but if anyone can throw some light on the poinbts 1 and 2 I'd be really grateful.

Thx
Carl
mers
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-06-25 11:20
I got a K700i a few days ago from Hong Kong, and I'd thought I'd share my experiences and opinions, good and bad, so far. I used to have an SE T39m before this (so I'm comparing this with one of the best albeit older phones ever made). These aren't in any order, just what comes to mind first.

1. The pictures don't do the K700i justice. You have to hold one of these things to appreciate it. Solid construction, huge display, the brushed aluminum and charcoal grey and black and silver meld together beautifully. It's just the right weight ... substantial but not heavy at all.

2. The screen is bright and has excellent resolution. Some of the themes and games really show it off too, especially Flo with its animated background and Tennis in Java3D. And I foresee some gorgeous themes for the K700 in not too long.

3. The difference between pressing the joystick and moving it is very subtle. This is gonna take some getting used to. Then again, the T39 didn't have one.

4. The phone has rebooted itself twice, both times for no apparent reason. The only thing in common was I was using the Waip theme ... it hasn't rebooted in Flo. That's just an observation, not a cause.

5. I've decided that I can't stand the keypad light and I can't get used to it. It seriously looks pink, and completely throws off the aesthetics of the phone. I'm hoping they'll either dim the light in the next firmware or allow you to turn it off (when the keypad is locked, the display and keypad light up at half brightness). I think it's just the colour of the plastic used to make the keypad. So anyone know service menu locations already?

6. While we're talking about the keypad, I'll set some people's minds at ease that although it's small, it's not difficult to use (this coming after four years of using the arguably perfect T39m keypad). If you're using two hands, you have nothing to worry about. If you're using one hand, I don't like how space is the # key. It's too close to the edge of the phone and it's the most commonly pressed character in an SMS. The T39 had it on the 1 key, which made much more sense. You can also space by moving left twice on the joystick though (which is problematic, see next point). I think that I can get used to that. This isn't an issue if you're left handed ... I think I'm gonna become left handed

7. And while we're talking about writing, my BIGGEST peeve about the phone is this. When you're writing, alternate T9 options are brought up in a menu above the message. That's ok because none of us ever look at what we're typing. But what I DETEST is that you have to use the joystick to change to an alternate option (e.g. of -> me). This sucks to no end. Having to take your fingers off the keypad should be a well known taboo when it comes to designing T9 layouts. It slows you the hell down, and it's annoying. Even worse, you have to keep reorienting your hand when you finally do select an option because of the small keys on the K700.

With the T39m you'd chose an alternate option by pressing zero. This makes so much more sense, and helps you write faster. And to top it off, the 0 key does nothing on the K700, other than writing a 0 (which the T39 could do by pressing and holding, just live every other key). So SE, if you're listening, make 0 select alternate T9 options! NOW!

8. You've probably seen enough photos and videos taken by the K700 already, but what you might not know is that it has a nice night mode (larger aperture I imagine),
and quite a bright light which helps if your subject is a few feet away. It's no flash, though, but it's great for dark bars

9. The four joystick directions are associated with four shortcuts. What I didn't know was that all four are customizable, unlike T39m which is only one of 2.

10. The right selection key brings up quick access to silent mode, turning on bluetooth, phone status (still accessible from volume keys), and shortcut configuration from the standby screen.

11. Although you can get to the camera from the menus, it's nice that you can press the camera button to get there right away.

12. The darts game is a complete waste of time, the MusicDJ is also a complete waste of time but in a wonderful way! It's loads of fun. Generated midi files are not playable on a PC for some reason, but the preloaded ones are.

13. I've been reading about lag worries. I haven't experienced any.

14. Bluetooth is an absolute breeze. The software that comes with the phone, on the other hand, blows goats. There are actually people who don't use Outlook (e.g. Mozilla Thunderbird). Anyway, I'm using float's Mobile Agent and my TDK dongle drivers combined with XP. It all works well. I use FMA for contacts and standard Bluetooth networking for most everything else. My only qualm is that FMA doesn't yet write to the phone book's address and notes sections, and doesn't interface to the K700's battery information well, but time should change this. Still, a big thanks to all the developers of FMA. Your work is much appreciated.

15. Speaking of address books, when the hell will SE learn that people can have more than one mobile and more than one home number? They need to take a page from Nokia's book which lets you add any number of phone numbers of any type to a name. Sigh.

16. Although the phone has a key lock function, it's unlikely any of these keys will ever be pressed by mistake. It's a firm keypad (which is a good thing). A click sound (a la T39m) would be nice now. Thus far, the K700i can either stay silent on a key press or play a tone.

17. The radio has a nice interface, but even though I understand why the handsfree is required as an antenna, it completely defeats the purpose of having a radio. How many people carry their handsfree with them? And if you have a bluetooth headset, then what? SE didn't think this through ... I think it's just included for gimmick value I think. They should have really put in an internal antenna. At best, let's hope the next firmware version will at least not make it mandatory for the handsfree to be plugged in. If we get crappy reception, so be it, but at least we can try.

Alright, I have a woman to meet. Hope some of you find this helpful. I wanted these observations to be something you won't find in a pamphlet but might be good to know. I'll update the thread as things crop up.

Take care everyone, let me know if you have solutions to any of my complaints,

-mers
.NET - An infrastructure named after its expected user base by a seriously dyslexic marketing team.
loonee
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-06-25 11:45
I like everything except the cover of charger n headset. It really sucks

This message was posted from a WAP device

Berserk-KW
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2004-06-25 21:14
to all of you that have the phone, congrads
and i envy all of you to no limit ~
any way, can any of you inform us/me how is the reception on the K700i?
to which phone can you compare it's reception with?

thanks
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic