Esato

Forum > General discussions > Garbage threads > George W. Bush;s Resume (C.V)

Previous  123 ... 3738 394041  Next
Author George W. Bush;s Resume (C.V)
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-09 20:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thanks for your comments there croatia!...much appreciated..Cheers!!

Bush Makes the Dictionary

LONDON (Reuters) - George W. Bush is mocked for strangling grammar. But he can hold his head up high in the new Oxford Dictionary of Quotations published on Thursday.

The U.S. President makes a respectable first appearance in one of the world's most famous reference books with his notorious "Axis of Evil" speech about Iran, Iraq and North Korea. Bush, long renowned for his malapropisms, has in the past offered such gems as misunderestimate, embetter and resignate.

But Oxford dictionary editor Elizabeth Knowles works on very different criteria for new entrants in the revered tome.

"You look at the quotation, not at their linguistic dexterity," she told Reuters.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Bush's closest ally in the war on Iraq, is given prominence for waxing lyrical in appropriately Shakespearean tones in the lead-up to the conflict: "This is not the time to falter." Intriguingly the latest edition of the famous sayings book first published in 1941 highlights how history has a way of repeating itself when it comes to the memorable soundbite.

Bill Clinton, watching the saga of the Florida chaos unfolding in the 2000 U.S. Presidential election, said: "The American people have spoken -- but it's going to take a little time to determine what they said."

That echoed the complaint by British Conservative statesman Lord Salisbury in 1877: "One of the nuisances of the ballot is that when the oracle has spoken, you never know what it means."

"We are constantly trying to pick up material that has become newly resonant," Knowles said, citing a John Quincy Adams quote that struck a chord after the September 11 attacks on the United States:

"Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she (America) goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy."

On a lighter note, draconian British quiz mistress Anne Robinson wins quote immortality for the way she curtly dismisses failed candidates in her show: "You are the weakest link ... Goodbye."
[addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-10 00:12
[addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-10 01:29
'Read my Lips' - A duet by Bush and Blair.

HERE (Quicktime) [addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-10 12:32
Questions Raised About Bush Guard Service

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent

WASHINGTON - New documents unearthed in the midst of the presidential campaign fill in some blanks but raise other questions about the sometimes mysterious and spotty story of President Bush (news - web sites)'s military service during Vietnam when he won a coveted spot in the Texas Air National Guard and avoided the war.

Reviving issues that have shadowed his political career, the documents show Bush ignored a direct order from a superior officer and lost his status as a Texas Air National Guard pilot more than three decades ago because he failed to meet military performance standards and undergo a required physical examination.

The disclosures marked the second time in days the White House had to backtrack from assertions that all of Bush's records had been released. It also raised the specter that Bush sought favors from higher-ups and that the commander of the Texas Air National Guard wanted to "sugar coat" Bush's record after he was suspended from flying.

Less than two months before the election, the documents turned the spotlight on Bush after weeks of political attacks questioning John Kerry (news - web sites)'s military service in Vietnam. Overshadowing issues such as jobs and the economy, that controversy raised doubts about Kerry and hurt him in the polls.

Kerry, campaigning in Iowa, refused to talk Thursday about the new Bush documents. "That's for the White House to answer," he said in an Associated Press interview. Presidential spokesman Scott McClellan said, "I think you absolutely are seeing a coordinated attack by John Kerry and his surrogates on the president."

Yet, it was the White House — not Kerry's campaign — that distributed four memos from 1972 and 1973 from Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, now deceased, who was the commander of the 111th Fighter Interceptor Squadron in Houston where Bush served. The White House obtained the memos from CBS News, which said it was convinced of their authenticity, and the White House did not question their accuracy. There was no explanation why the Pentagon (news - web sites) was unable to find the documents on its own.

The key questions about Bush's service are whether or where he trained in late 1972 and early 1973, why he skipped the required medical exam, and whether he was investigated or punished for skipping the exam and six months' worth of training in 1972.

Bush has adamantly denied that any strings were pulled to get him into the guard. Yet, former Texas House Speaker Ben Barnes, a Democrat who now supports Kerry, has stepped forward to say he helped Bush and the sons of other wealthy families get into the guard so they could avoid serving in Vietnam.

Bush completed basic training in August, 1968, and by early 1970 was assigned as a pilot of F-102 interceptors in the 111th Squadron at Ellington Air Force Base. Killian, the squadron commander, ordered Bush in May, 1972, to undergo his annual physical, the new memos show.

Later in May, Killian said in his memo that he'd had conversations with Bush "of how Bush can get out of coming to drill from now through November" because Bush wanted to go to Alabama to work on a political campaign.

Killian wrote that they talked about Bush getting his flight physical and that Bush said he would do it in Alabama if he remained in flight status. But he said Bush said he "may not have the time." The memo said Bush was "talking to someone upstairs" about the Alabama transfer.

The same memo also made clear that Killian was concerned about the fact that the military had spent a substantial amount of money training Bush to fly.

"I advised him of our investment in him and his commitment," he wrote in the memo.

On Aug. 1, 1972, Killian ordered that Bush "be suspended from flight status due to failure to perform to (United States Air Force/Texas Air National Guard) standards and failure to meet annual physical examination (flight) as ordered."

Killian said he wanted a formal inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the flight suspension. No records have surfaced that one was ever conducted.

A year later, in August, 1973, Killian wrote a memo that said SUBJECT: CYA.

He said that Walter B. Staudt, the Texas Air National Guard commander, was pressuring one of Bush's superiors who two years earlier had rated Bush an outstanding pilot. Killian said, "I'm having trouble running interference and doing my job." Killian said that Staudt "is pushing to sugar coat" Bush's rating. "Bush wasn't here during rating period and I don't have any feedback from 187th in Alabama. I will not rate."

Democratic Party chairman Terry McAuliffe said, "George W. Bush's cover story on his National Guard service is rapidly unraveling. ... George W. Bush needs to answer why he regularly misled the American people about his time in the Guard and who applied political pressure on his behalf to have his performance reviews 'sugarcoated'"

White House communications director Dan Bartlett said Bush did not take the physical because he was not going to be in a flying capacity in Alabama. "Those who are trying to read the mind of a person dead 20 years are stretching at best. The president at every turn did what he was told to do."

[addsig]
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-10 13:40
I think we all got your point ...... we all knew what would happen if bush was elected, he is now and we can't change it ( only the americans ) so get over it and wait !!!
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-10 13:48
Quote:

On 2004-09-10 13:40:14, Jim wrote:
I think we all got your point ...... we all knew what would happen if bush was elected, he is now and we can't change it ( only the americans ) so get over it and wait !!!

I've only just started getting my point across! ......this thread will continue until the november elections when hopefully the american people will see some sense and vote for kerry....but even if god forbid bush does get re-elected my bush hate campaign thead will go on for the next 4 years or until the next presidentail elections. [addsig]
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-10 20:29
But what's the point, you have so many thread about anti us and anti bush, no one evr read it and I think if someones really need to have those articles to hate bush then he can find it himslef.

Esato is not a propaganda forum afaik
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-09-10 23:54
axxxr youre using smear tactics, just liike Swift Boat Vets for Truth are against Kerry...

I despise Bush myself but I really think you're wasting your time, and youre pissing off a lot of members (even people who dislike Bush) [addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-11 11:41
Quote:

On 2004-09-10 23:54:00, kimcheeboi wrote:
axxxr youre using smear tactics, just liike Swift Boat Vets for Truth are against Kerry...

I despise Bush myself but I really think you're wasting your time, and youre pissing off a lot of members (even people who dislike Bush)

How i am useing smear tactics exactly.....I am just quoting officials news sources.

If you really think that im wastng my time ...why are u reading this thread i anyway?....If you don't like it just ignore it....If people are getting pissed off thats there problem!...We have a thing called freedom of speech on the u.k not entirely sure if it applies in the u.s? [addsig]
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-11 12:32
And again, bashing the US, you think your country is the best of the world maybe ?!
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-11 12:36
Quote:

On 2004-09-11 12:32:26, Jim wrote:
And again, bashing the US, you think your country is the best of the world maybe ?!

Listen mate!....If don't like this thread...DON'T READ IT!! [addsig]
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-11 12:39
Why? freedom of speech !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can say whatever I want ( from your definition ) and that's what I do. It hits you back now heh
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-11 12:42
Quote:

On 2004-09-11 12:39:50, Jim wrote:
Why? freedom of speech !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can say whatever I want ( from your definition ) and that's what I do. It hits you back now heh

Ok then!.....If you want freedom of speech don't dictate to me what i should and should'nt do then!....from now on u Just say what you want and i will say what i want!...kapeesh!! [addsig]
Jim
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-11 12:48
Well I said what I want, stop bashing the US. No we agree on something and I will shut up
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-11 12:52
Quote:

On 2004-09-11 12:48:26, Jim wrote:
Well I said what I want, stop bashing the US. No we agree on something and I will shut up

No can do mate!!....I will do what i want,..so just say what u have to say coz now i will just ignore you! [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 3738 394041  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic