Author New Firmware R5B02
Lucas
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 15:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2004-05-18 11:44:55, DVDPhil wrote:
Ok for this remark for minor release, but the Organizer version (the operating system of the P900) change from R4 to R5 and this meens a major change.

The only real problem is the lack of information from Sony concerning this release's features

Bienvenue a Esato!
Well we hav´nt seen any major changes, so I still suggest that people wait. There has been organizer changes before, but still without a noticable differance.

Cherche le force mon fraire!

Salut
Luc
dean
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 16:26
I'm still wondering if I will do the upgrade, but let me share an idea - having in mind these contact-fields changes:

1) I'd suggest you all first to do a complete backup
2) Do a full syncronisation with outlook 2003 (if you have one) - this way you should have all contacts stored there (no personal pictures, tones, etc. )
3) Do the upgrade
4) Do the restore
5) If you find your contacts messed up go to Contacts / Contacts Manager / Folder ALL / Select All / Delete
5.1) Configure your syncstation sync settings to Full Synchronisation / FORCE FULL / Keep all items in computer and override in phone

This should bring your contacts data back.
Then personal rings and pictures should be selected again.

Dean
Rolud
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 17:01
I had the problem yesterday with all my contacts messed up !
Actually, I don’t know if the problem is coming from the update or from the backup…?!?
I did the update twice (the second time I used the function “recovery”) and I did the restore twice also… with exactly the same result !
Then I just make a sync of my contacts from Outlook to the P9 with the option Force Full (without deleting the contacts first…) and now everything is in order… just like before…!!

I’m happy again...

Rolud
dean
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 21:31
Hi again, folks!

I did the update couple of hours ago!

As always - no problems!

I did the update, then restored the backup and then checked all my contacts - I have address cards with all possible information entered, incl. postal address, website, 10 numbers, etc.

Everything was at its place and that's it.

Thumbnails seemed to load faster - had no time to check other things because I had to sell it to a friend of mine at (believe me) really reasonable price GBP 490.

Good luck to all of you!

Dean

p.s. I now wonder what my next phone should be (after going thru A1018s, R600, T68m/i, T610, P800, P900)
noblue900
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-18 23:11
I did update to R5 yesterday, all went well, restored the backup and everything looks fine.
In Contacts the tab Personal ring type seems to be new, but I'm note quite sure, maybe it was there before, batery life seems to be a little longer and everything seems to be a bit faster.

But one thing bothers me, after upgrade you can not change the default folder for CommuniCorder. It ALLWAYS resets to UNFILED folder of INTERNAL disk and it's quite anoying to change it everytime you starts CC
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-19 01:04
@upgraders

Can someone explain to me the logic of performing a restore after doing an upgrade? I tend to think of it in these terms. Perform and oil change and then pour the old oil back in. Sure you have a brand new oil filter, but you are still putting in the same old oil. Why not simply do a re-sync and take the time to set the device up again. If you install all of your applications on the MS, they will reappear once again. The Internet and messaging setting can be resent from most providers. It seems that it comes down to laziness in some cases. I am sure that there are times when a restore comes in handy but after an upgrade, I think that this would be a bad option. Just my opinion.
StarKnight
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-19 07:34
That's what I always do with every new firmware version... resync the phone, take a few minutes to configure it (with some help from auto-configuration SMS)... most of the apps are on memory stick so I don't have to reinstall them... and I never had a problem after each upgrade.

After doing this I do a full backup but I will only use it in case of emergency and with the same firmware release.
dean
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-19 08:34
@sapporobaby:

The reasons for doing a restore in my case:

1) I have programs installed in the internal memory - why? because I want them to appear, no matter wich MS DUO I use

2) I have 4 email accounts with different schedules and it would be annoying to set them up all over again each time

3) I have over 400 contacts of which 80 are with personalised ring and picture settings

4) I have themes which I don't want to set up again

5) I have bookmarks and personal start wap page which I don't need to set up again

6) I have my sms, mms, email folders with history, which I can't request from my operator

Should I go further?

If you use your P900 just as a handset then you're right - no need to do a backup/restore just to get your contacts. If you use the most of your *smartphone* then you'll definately need the procedure.

This is my case and my opinion. No one is oblidged to agree with it.

Dean
scroitoru
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-19 20:21
I am having troubles with this upgrade and the SE support is telling me that they have site probelms and working on it. Can you guys tell me if you are facing the same problem? I am accessing the site from US. Will this matter? [addsig]
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-20 01:10
i was just playing with the phone with flip closed.

Pressing the OK with the new firmware is faster and so is hanging up.

Use to take two fast clicks to hang up but now it just takes one.

Also on flip closed, when you choose the music player, it loads up very quick.

I cant help but thinking that I'm being fooled by the Placebo effect and SE are sitting and laughing!

(SE Guys: HAHAHA those idiots, we're just changing the firmware number and they think it's faster!)

lol
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Shuvit
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-20 05:09
Did the update yesterday, left the phone uncharged the whole night, only to find out that the battery was drained.

I didn't install HandyDay or anything that can drain my battery, it was fine before the upgrade. Has anyone experienced this?

Anyway i'm charging my phone battery now to full now and trying the update again. Probably something happened when i was updating it.

[ This Message was edited by: Shuvit on 2004-05-20 04:16 ]
remo74tg
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-20 06:59
Just wondering, is there a way to go back to the firmware I upgraded from, this new firmware has nothing but trouble, I seem to be dropping calls alot and I have wrong operator logo. I even flashed twice, but still have all the problems.

Shuvit
P900
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-05-21 04:36
Fixed with with a 100% charged phone and clean update, now my battery has the normal rate of usage.
zeb55
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-21 09:10
I can confirm that the upgrade messes up the contacts, it has changed the office number and moved it one step up. This is very bad since i have about 400 contacts that i have to edit. Thank you for that SE.
Mobility, a lifestyle
petrutms
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2004-05-22 19:14
just did the upgrade, everything ok, only that i can delete the default sony ericsson file from C drive! Not even after backup, during backup said : in use!!!!

and to change the default folders for communicorder do that: install taskman from symbianware, a trial is enough, open communicorder, set your files as u want, and close communicorder ONLY with taskman by selecting close app in the task man menu. Will remain the folder u selected, even after u close the phone or close app with sman.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 678 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic