Author New Firmware R5B02
dannyoneill
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-15 22:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Unbrand your phone and flash to the latest

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xerodiac/

My other post was removed (understandable) but this is a direct link to the unbrander.

Go forth Orange users, upgrade!

No problems here for me though. Yes it wipes our everything but so has every other firmware update. For me i just install my OneBridge, hit sync and its back up and running with the stuff from my Domino server.

It does say to backup and sync before you proceed as it wipes it all out

It does seem faster, BT works fine but cant see any other differences.

I think it did fix my scratch on my screen though )

[ This Message was edited by: dannyoneill on 2004-05-15 21:16 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-15 23:22
@Stewart1

I think, fingers crossed, that I have found the solution to fixing or atleast a work around for the iSync problem.

Details:

1. Open port 3004
2. Allow connections from: 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.1.254. It seems that iSync sets up the connection on this address and then looks for 169.254.1.5 coming from the phone.

Using this allows me to connect 8 out of 10 times and the other two are okay after a phone reboot. I think this is a bluetooth problem more so than an iSync problem.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Don

Us
scroitoru
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-15 23:46
For the folks who sucessfully upgraded, is the video quality any better? are the blocks still visible?
[addsig]
Sul05
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-15 23:55
Video Quality Seems to be a little beter but no major improvement. Then again it's always gonna be a hardware thing. The thumbnails laod up faster but the images still look blured
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 00:52
You guys do know that the P900 is a phone first and not a DV camera or a Digital Still Camera, right? No mega-pixels here. Just the ability to take a shot here and there. You do understand this right?
soNburst
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 02:00
i would say that the p900 is first a pda with poor software that happens to be able to make phone calls and able to take shitty photos/videos.

[ This Message was edited by: soNburst on 2004-05-16 01:01 ]
scroitoru
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 04:02
if you have something, anything, wouldn't you like to use it?! then why buy it? those videos are so shitty I am ashamed to tell anybody the phone can take videos. period. would like that when making calls, you hear only the other word? you would not like that, would you? What would it take to make just bit better tell me? [addsig]
stewart01
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 05:28
sapporobaby, thanks for your help, but I have the OSX fireware disabled...

iSync is so frustrating. Even after deleting the pair and then pairing again does not guarantee success - even turning off the BT and restarting the phone!

BT Browsing is flawless, and other third party mac applications can reliably hold a BT connection, but iSync is just incapable off. When iSync fails, the connection is initially made for a very brief time and then the connection drops.. and never reconnects again...

The sooner apple sort this out the better.

Again, thanks for your help though.

[ This Message was edited by: stewart01 on 2004-05-16 04:31 ]
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 08:59
@Stewart1,

I had the exact, and I mean exact same problem. There is a communication problem with between the phone and the Mac. It seems that the Mac and phone communicate along IP addresses: 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, and on port 3004. If these are not aligned or configured, then the connection will timeout. I use the Symantec Personal Firewall(Zone Alarm is better, but none for Mac.) and have opened port 3004, and told it to allow communications for addresses 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. This seems to work. I get 8 out of 10 connections, while the other two require that I reboot the phone due to BT.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 09:03
@soNburst

Last time I looked, SE's core biz is mobile phones, not PDA's. Yes the P900 had PDA functions but if you were to remove the PDA, you would have, tada, a phone. SE simply followed the same market as Nokia and bundled PDA functionality into a phone. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than the Windows and Nokia phones? I would say yes. Much better. So, your statement that the P900 is a PDA first is somewhat off base.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 09:11
@scroitoru

If I want to take pictures, I use my Sony DCS-P10. My friends are can figure out that I am using my phone to take a quick picture while I am out somewhere and want to show them something. I do not use my P900 to build a digital photo album or to take high quality videos, nor do I expect the phone to to functions as such. You are comparing apples and oranges and do not seem to understand why in effect you have a fruit salad. I purchased my P900 knowing that it was a phone first and had limited digital still and video functionality. SonyEricsson, as best as I can understand, never sold the P900 as a high end camera or video camera. Could the software be somewhat better, probably. Is the P900 better than most phones with PDA and camera functionality? By far it is one of the bests.
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 09:27
sapporobaby

A few points about Symbian and UIQ that may help with the PDA / phone issue:

1. Symbian is based on EPOC, a PDA OS developed by Psion (UK)
2. Ericsson produced an initial smartphone using Symbian before Nokia, ie, the R380
3. UIQ is an off shoot of an old Ericsson outfit
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 09:30
perhaps that discussion can continue in a different thread (or better still in one of the threads where it has already been discussed many times already)

lets keep this one as a discussion about the new firmware only please.
thanks guys!
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 09:51
Jah,

Correct. The R380 was in short, terrible, but I am quite sure that Nokia had the first PDA smart phone. The original Communicator. It had rounded curves and a swivel antenna. I had one, with a production model number of 129. I had this back in 1998(?). Symbian did come in the R380 package though. Speaking of Symbian, I have heard that this new upgrade breaks more than it fixes. The camera and its functionality are secondary as far as I am concerned. More important are the BT stability and the overall phone and PDA performance. Do you have any release note on what the upgrade does? By the way, I no longer have any Windoze so I am naturally concerned that the upgrade may have degraded the BT performance thus jeapordizing my connectivity to my Mac.
stewart01
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-05-16 14:21
I have CDA version 162004/43, and the organizer version is R2B02 - which appears quite old, despite the P900 only being available in Canada for under a month.

The phone is unlocked ( though came in a Fido box).

What would happen if I upgraded the firmware using one of the CDA numbers that gave me the newest R5B02? Would I trash the phone?

Thanks.

off topic:
I thought UIQ was developed by Symbian and not Ericsson. I remember seeing Quartz reference designs whilst I had my Psion5 years ago.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic