Esato

Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Kondor "Blue-Mini": A warning.

Author Kondor "Blue-Mini": A warning.
Red Halibut
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-09 10:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've seen other posts about Kondor before and their reputation for being cheap and cheerful. I'd just like to endorse that and issue a warning.

About two weeks ago I bought the Kondor "blue-mini".

I believe it is known by other names, but you'll recognise it as the ultra-mini device sold by transparent, dixons etc. I bought it from Dixons.

The first time I used it was a revelation. Good connectivity with my T68 (yes, just a T68, no "i" - OK so I need an upgrade ) even when phone was in opposite side back pocket, reasonable talk-time and standby time considering the modest claims made for it, and simple integration.

Everything in the garden was rosy. Or so I thought.

Within two days the power supply for the charger went "fzzzt" without warning and died, a curlicue of blue smoke (ironically enough) rising gently towards the ceiling.

"Ho-hum", I thought, a dodgy power supply. I sadly packaged the thing up and took it back to dixons. Dixons - being the helpful chaps they usually are - replaced the whole thing immediately and without fuss. OK so you pay a premium in the high street, but you can't beat the service. My replacement safely stowed in my rucksack I went home to charge the thing.

First time charge was a success, but then about three days later the second one fizzled! Different house, surge-protected socket, for those of you who are thinking along the lines of power problems. ON last Saturday (6th March 2004) I went back and got another replacement from the ever-helpful staff at Dixons who this time looked at me a little quizzically. Perhaps they thought I was trying to power a nuclear death ray from my little wall-wart.

Third time lucky, I thought to myself, as I paired off my third headset in ten days. Well - no, it wasn't.

This morning (Tuesday 9th March) while I sat here at work I got the fright of my life. While sipping a cup of coffee the THIRD power supply went, with a bang and the by now familiar puff of smoke, right beside me, and I now have a large brown stain on my shirt and tie.

I'm not angry with Kondor - I'm ... actually yes I am. I'm also very disappointed. That's three power supplies in three different locations in two weeks!

So, my conclusion? The blue-mini headset is a reasonable product but either there is a design fault in the charging unit (my headset wasn't IN the power supply when it went this time) or in the power supplies.

If you are considering buying one of these things then budget for a reasonable power supply to go with it.

I'm off to Maplin's at lunchtime to buy a replacement power supply, if that works I'll keep the thing, if IT goes too then I'll (sadly) return the headset, along with a bill to Kondor.

Stephen Howard
aka
Red Halibut.

Red Halibut
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-09 11:05
Update: I opened the power supply up and there is quite extensive damage, with the ceramic packages blown on components U1 and Q2 and on the underside of the board surface-mount R6 did an impression of an overclocked athlon with no heatsink.

For reference it's an AC switching adapter Model STG, which a quick google appears to imply is made by the NASA industrial company Ltd in China.

mjm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-17 18:59
Have you had any problems with the new charger? It looks like a pretty cool headset apart from the unwanted blue smoke!
kimcheeboi
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-03-17 19:15
Haha made by nasa... I'm surprised that your charges didn't do a challenger or columbia :-D

This message was posted from a T610

acydbyrn
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-06-01 03:54
I am waiting for a new phone to be delivered any day now, comes with a 'free' blue mini headset. Let's see how free it is when I keep havng to send/take it back!!

[ This Message was edited by: acydbyrn on 2004-06-01 02:55 ]
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-09 12:32
Ok, so any update ? U made me curios How is the 3rd unit working?
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
acydbyrn
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-06-13 00:37
OK - had my headset for just over a week now and has only been put on charge twice (When I got it and today) so far no luck, as it would seem. No blue smoke nothing. I did notice though that it comes with a SonyEricsson charger, and as I recall, there was a product recall on a specific model charger - may this has been the problem. Anyway I still have the charger from my old T68i and the one thats came with my headset, compared them and all serial numbers etc were the same, and I remember that mine was not one that was faulty. If anyone wants I can post the serials and stuff here for you all to read and check.

Onto the headset though, small (about the size of a largish thumb), stylish, light and fairly exellent battery life. I can hear people quite well and reports from other people say that I am "as clear as a bell" - which is good. Not much else to say about it really.
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-06-14 10:04
10x 4 the input
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
Red Halibut
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-06-19 14:52
Sorry to hit and run like that.

Well, my third charger gave up the ghost after a week. More blue smoke from the blue meanie.

I like the product but the charger really is terrible. I've substituted it with a generic current-limited one from maplin, but it has no cut off, so to avoid overcharging I have to remember to check it.

I shouldn't have to do this, and as soon as I get around to buying a different model I won't have to.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Life has been busy recently. :/
houghtons
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-06-29 09:55
Hi, Have the same problem with my charger, blew up yesterday. What was the model number of the Maplin adaptor you purchased? How did you get round getting the correct plug????
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi