Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Apple Macintosh and Sony Ericsson issues

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 636465  Next
Author Apple Macintosh and Sony Ericsson issues
meatmcguffin
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-23 18:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@s40convert

Thanks very much! thats sorted out a lot of confusion! not sure why i though of .jar though, must have been hungry

@gabster

one word: drool. I wonder if they'll give out those lucky bags like they did at the San Fran store eariler this month. Apparently you bought them for 200 USD and they were worth a lot more: some contained airport basestations and some even contained iPod Minis. Like i said: drool
Trevor
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-23 19:07
So, I've been trying to find out...
Is the DSS-25 syncstation not compatible with mac?
I'd love to be able to drag and drop files to the phone's internal/external memory on the desktop like you can with the pc
I suspect it would be faster too...
Is it just not possible?

Also, any ideas if anyone is working on a way to sync P900 with entourage?
I know about syncing to address book and then doing the address book - entourage sync thing but that's not that happening...
Gabster
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-03-23 22:56
The DSS-25 syncstation as far as I know is not compatible with the mac, which is a shame, i am just upset that there is no way to backup our phone
Gabe*
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-24 04:10
@BOSSHOGG

Thank you so much, it worked!! I'm checking my new stuff right now. Thanks!!
Gabster
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-03-27 15:37
You know what I was thinking about something, it is about time apple relased a PDA or a mobile OS (Like windows), with this whole problem with symbian and Nokia, maybe it is a time like this that Apple should use their relationship with Sony Ericsson and develope a 'Smart Phone' OS. What do you think?
meatmcguffin
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-27 17:29
Well apple did release the newton pda and that was a disasterous disaster. All signs could point to a new pda though:

1. The iPod has many organiser functions attached to it and it is compatible with iSync, seems like a forerunner to a proper pda.

2. Apple just patented their iPod operating system layout, gui structure and whatnot, and it seems very pointless to do so unless this system is going to be carried forward in other hardware in future. Probably only a 4th gen ipod but its nice to dream!

3. iSync, iCal and the address book are all built around syncronisation. It seems very pointless to have this as it currently only syncs mobile phones and iPods. It seems they could be ironing out all the bugs before implementing a pda to utilise all these functions. and i know that its possible to sync to an iDisk and between other macs but who actually does this on a frequent basis? Theres gotta be another reason for all this new sync technology.

4. Apple have ties with other manufacturers. Apple are definatly getting close to sony ericcson; cross advertising, always mentioning se specifically when adressing the phone market in general and supporting se phones with isync before any other company. It would be nice to see a colaboration or a buy out of se. This might also allow apple use of Sony's memory stick tech to incorporate into a new pda and possibly an iPod and their range of macs, after all a pda has to have card expansion and apple havnt yet made a formal preference to a memory card format. The other company they're close to is hitachi, licensing their 1 inch hard drives for the ipod mini. A 4gb drive or even a 1gb drive in a apple pda would be a huge money spinner.

5. There isnt an apple pda. And apple have a 5% market share of a HUGE market mainly consisting of die hard mac fans but there are no specific mac pdas. And most windows based pdas are annoyingly pc centered with little or no support for the mac system. All good reasons for apple to GET A MOVE ON

6. Apple is cool again. And most people who have an iPod would love to match it with an apple pda or smartphone. I doubt even se could match them in terms of design.

any ideas anyone?
thewiccaman
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-27 18:15
Quote:
Apple are definatly getting close to sony ericcson; cross advertising, always mentioning se specifically when adressing the phone market in general and supporting se phones with isync before any other company. It would be nice to see a colaboration or a buy out of se.

This is interesting. Apple are at the forefront of the 'Digital Hub' concept and your comment about the iPod being 'nearly' a pda makes sense. At the moment, to have an effective mp3 player, mobile and pda, you would have to carry 3 different devices around with you! Apple extends the iPod to include real mobile phone capabilities along with pda functions and wireless web browsing, all styled like an iPod and there you have it Are you listening, Apple??

On another, slightly related matter [bluetooth synching], did you all see this article from PC World magazine:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115279,00.asp

Very interesting ...

david
Apple iMac, SE 990i, 2GB mem card - bring on the syncing!
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-27 21:36
Well, due to my business relationship with Apple, I go to Cuppertino from time to time. Certainly I can't tell you what I see there, but for example I've seen the XServ 5 months before it was announced.
And none of my sources ever talked about a PDA.
But just try this website www.iphone.org, maybe there is hope
My guess is that we won't see anything like a phone or PDA anytime soon, just look at the latest releases from Apple: All very music and movie related. As you might know, Steve Jobs is one of the owners of Pixar, movies seem to be his latest hobby, no phones and PDAs
meatmcguffin
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-27 22:10
@s40convert - if ya dont mind me asking, what is your relationship with apple?
thats a bugger tho. Begs the question though, why the pda functions in the iPod?

I'm now thinking instead of the ipod being a test for a pda im thinking it could be the opposite. Just enough pda functions to keep mac heads from buying a pda. BUT why would apple try and stop people from buying a windows based pda; is it because they're coming out with their own? OR IS IT because they dont want people to buy a microsoft pc to use it with? UNLESS they secretly want everyone to buy a windows pc BECAUSE their porting OSX across to the PC. IN WHICH CASE the original point of making an apple pda is useless because it won't be mac compatible. All this leads me to one conclusion:

is duke nukem forever ever gonna come out?
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-28 09:04
@meatmcguffin
I work for a software company, doing product management work. We develop high end graphic apps on Apple and other "good" OSs, therefore we visit them pretty often. And over the years you get to know some people who have keys to very special rooms...
But you're right, an OS X complatible PDA wouldn't make much sens, looking at their market share.
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-28 13:37
I dont think an apple pda is gonna come out in the toooooooo near future... but i believe that if os x carries on getting more and more popular as it has been, it shouldt be all that far away
meatmcguffin
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-28 22:11
In support of Thewiccaman's excellent mac sticky (it really is great! ) i suggest we all add a line to our signatures in support of a mac/se esato forum. There's more mac users using esato then anyone has seemed to notice and i see new topics springing up all over the place to do with macs. There are even requests for help going unnoticed as macfolk dont know where they can get apple-related help on esato. And in just several weeks this sticky has convered so many topics thats its gonna just get too confusing soon, so far there's been almost a hundred replies on everything:

Phone netconnections, bluetooth problems, phoneagent, a mac theme editor, salling clicker, isync, iCal, mac / p series net connections, backup, firmware updates, adress book issues, broken computers ,memory stick readers, irda, compression types, an apple smartphone, a talk on the apple newton, a talk on the benifits of an apple/se merger plus a dozen people crying out for a mac specific forum. How much more persuading is it gonna take? im sick to death of trying to get help in a forum only to get flamed for being a mac user. Or not finding the help at all. Every mac user in here has been a consistant source of helpful and useful information and its the only place on the net where this kind of aid can be found for us poor mac users. So come on mac users, join me and the others that have taken this bold step for the se owning mac user by altering your signatures that little bit!

*Everyone salutes the flag as an orchestra plays the mac startup chime in the background*
cough....mac forum please....cough
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2004-03-29 00:18
@the Mac-guys here

I will be a convert to Mac in a few days. No more Windoze.

Anyway, does the iSync software and the PowerBook Titanium with bluetooth sync easily or is there something that is needed in between. I mainly use my computer for biz so I do not need much software and I already have the MS Office Suite for Mac. Will the sync with my P900 the same way the Windoze version does?

TIA
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-29 00:19
Hi there,

hope someone can help here with this...

Although everything works perfectly fine with my G4 laptop and the T610, I'd like to put VPC with XP on it to have access to some PC software to work with my phone. But for some reason I can't get VPC to see my bluetooth dongle So XP, 2000 or 98 won't see it, with or without drivers installed...
Any ideas what I can do????
Gabster
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-03-29 04:24
@sapporobaby

iSync works well with almost all of the Sony Ericsson one with easy, the only real issue that I am having at the moment is with my P900, but there is alot of help with that on the apple website. I just have not got the time to look at it at the present time.

iSync, ical and Address Book all work very well with SE phones, so you should not have too much problem. I hope you enjoy your Mac, you will not look back at those Window's machines!

[ This Message was edited by: Gabster on 2004-03-29 03:25 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 636465  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic