Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Apple Macintosh and Sony Ericsson issues

Previous  123 456 ... 636465  Next
Author Apple Macintosh and Sony Ericsson issues
ratGT
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-16 03:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@meatmcguffin
There are really cheap '6 in 1 card readers' (Memory Stick + MMC + SD, etc.) that connect to the USB port. You can find various makes, usually made by 'unknown' Asian companies. Most of them should work with your Mac.

PS. Some of them even display on the product box that they support Macs
meatmcguffin
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-16 19:41
thanks ratGT but ive already got a usb adaptor. im after an internal one as i have a powerbook and i want to keep the number of accessories i want to carry with me down to a minimum. unfortunatly a mac compatible memory stick reader for laptops is something of a niche product. cheers though!

lozishere being helpful as always gave me a product from amazon in another topic that seem to do the trick. if anyones after a product like this then pm me and ill see if i can find the web address again!
nkasuri
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-16 21:18
I really think its time we got a Mac forum here. I know its been said a thousand times before, but whats the big deal with starting a new forum. There are obviously a large number of Mac users on Esato. It would just make life easier for all of us.
snap-hiss
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-20 18:00
I'm having a big problem installing my linksys router to share internet on my PC running windows XP and my Mac running OS X. I was reccomended http://www.macwindows.com/ earlier in this thread, and I'm at work so I can't get to non mobile phone related sites now, but in the mean time are there any other sites that any of you would reccomend? Something with an active forum maybe I could post in?

!snap
war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength
sharkymark
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-03-20 19:13
@meatmcguffin

Im using an official Memorystick reader from Sony (MSAC-PC3) on my Powerbook running 10.3.1 and it works fine. It's quite expensive but, supports all types of memory sticks.
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-22 04:43
@snap-hiss

I've never tried that myself, but I bet you can find some help under the support section of www.apple.com or in one of the www.macfixit.com forums...
Good luck

Bertin
Gabe*
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-22 06:04
Hi, my friend has this Powerbook G3 which has IrDa, I got the powerbook to read my T610 (It said so in the Infrared Control Panel), but I don't know how to send files over to the phone. I've been a windows user all my life, so I'm not to good at handling a Mac. Got any tips on how to send them over?

P.S.: Does anyone know what .sit or .dmg files are?

[ This Message was edited by: Gabe* on 2004-03-22 05:10 ]
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-22 10:17
@Gabe

Sorry, can't help you on the IRDA, never played with it...

But .sit files are files compressed with Aladdin StuffIt. This is like your WinZip. To open them, you'll need StuffIt Expander, which you can download for free

.dmg are diskimages, something like .iso files. To open them, just double click...

Have fun
meatmcguffin
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-22 16:19
@ratGT and sharkymark and lozishere and everyone else!

thanks for you help on the pc card memory stick reader, i ended up looking at all the options you gave me and settled on a sitecom 4 in 1 reader. i really recomend one for powerbooks and ibooks, the transfer speeds are amazing. cheers again!

@s40 convert

any ideas which format is the best for compression? on last check theres six i know about and theres bound to be tonnes more. any idea what the differences are between zip, tar, jar, sit, dmg and bin??

@ Gabe*

a quick search on macupdate.com gives these results.
http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?keywords=infra+red
any of these come in handy?
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-22 21:49
Oooooh.......A mac sticky.

@gabe- http://www.traud.de/gsm/remote/GSM_Remote.hqx

will let you send pretty much anything your phone accepts to your phone from a mac over ir, and you can send texts form your phone using it.

http://www.cpen.com/Download/software_upgrades/m5/s3 (save download link as, then it downloads) C beam lets you send a few things to your phone, but it also lets you send stuff to the mac. So you can store your phones contents on the mac and send back at will.

C Beam seems to have stopped working. That's a shame, it works on motorola phones too.

Best of all, these both run on os8.6(and 9)
---
This message was posted from an original bondi blue os8.6 iMac using a t300 as a modem, all totally free on o2 gprs.

[ This Message was edited by: bosshogg on 2004-03-22 21:03 ]
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-03-22 22:24
bit ot but still: i have mac os x 10.2 on disx and 9.1 on my beige g3. i would like to upgrade, wouldnt everyone. problem is, i put the first installation cd, click on "restart" and the computer shuts down and i hear the "power-on sound". But after that, nothing... any ideas? thanks!
Gabe*
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-03-23 01:14
Quote:

On 2004-03-22 21:49:00, BOSSHOGG wrote:
Oooooh.......A mac sticky.

@gabe- http://www.traud.de/gsm/remote/GSM_Remote.hqx

will let you send pretty much anything your phone accepts to your phone from a mac over ir, and you can send texts form your phone using it.

Thanks BOSSHOGG. So the only thing I have to do is install GSM remote on my friends Mac, connect my T610 via IrDa, open the program and the program will let me send files? Do I drag-and-drop em' or will the program tell me what to do? Is the .hqx what we windows users think of .exe? Thanks for everything!
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-03-23 02:26
@meatmcguffin

the short version: Get StuffIt Standard and use .zip for compression. It might not be the best, but it's something that work on all OSes

the long version:
zip: cross platform compression standard, with great results on text or vector files, not so great results on images

tar: stands for "tape archive", well known in the UNIX world but no compression at all. It's just a good way to have many files put together. the .tar file can be compressed and is then called .tar.gz or .tgz. When compressed it's like a .zip asrchive, but you might not be able to open it on all platforms

jar: not a compression format, it's a Java executable

sit: In a perfect world, with a 100% Apple market share , this would be the best compression format. Like a .zip file, but works only on Macs. Well, there are tools for PC and Linux available, but they cost something

dmg: it's a diskimage, could be compressed. Usually used when you want to archive a CD on you Mac as one file. But it's not cross platform, so a Windows PC probably won't know what it is.

bin: like a self extracting .zip file, but converted to binary, which saves another 1/4 in file size. Again, not usable on anything else than a Mac

Hope that helps
Gabster
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-03-23 04:11
Hey guys just a few things for you P800/P900 users, does isync work well for you with you phone, mine does not work at all anymore (it worked well for like 2 weeks) any ideas why? My "Turn on p900 syncronisation" is greyed out on isync and I have no idea why?

How do you guys back up your phone? Do you even back it up?

@meatmcguffin

You know there are rumours that there will be a HUGE apple store on regent street by the end of the year!
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-03-23 11:22
@gabe-.hqx is juat another compression format. Stuffit will open it fine.

Once it's on the mac, activate your phones ir, line it up with the mac and open gsm remote. It'll scan for your phone(if it fails, quit gsm remote and open it again), once it finds your phone just click the preferences tab. Drop a theme/tone/pic or game into the white box. Your phone will ask to accept incoming item.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 636465  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic