Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How do we improve the speaker sound using the available resources

Author How do we improve the speaker sound using the available resources
Fletche
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-11 07:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I’m sat here listening to Aerosmith – ‘ I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing’.

The sound is pretty tiny. Hardly surprising bearing the size of the speaker you say.

Try doing the following:

Take a sheet of A4 and arc it so the focal point is your ear. Place the sheet just behind the P800 speaker on the back of the phone.

The volume increases, but also the low end ‘bass’ frequency improves.

Now take 10 sheets of A4 and do the same, the bass improves significantly over the 1 sheet experiment. My guess is the 10 sheets have a lower natural resonance frequency than the 1 sheet.

Next try making a cone, like on the old gramophones, you'll need to play around with the shape to get the sound you want.

Here’s some pics if you’re having problems visualising it!

http://www.bigwilly.org/P800sound.htm

My question is this, how do we improve the speaker sound from the P800 using the available resources:

Some preliminary thoughts are maybe we can:

1. Use the housing as a baffle
2. Use a ‘transmitter’ to take advantage of the material’s natural resonance, that the P800 is place on, to act as a baffle.
3. Use the P800’s microphone and sound processing capability to compensate for the acoustic properties of ‘unknown’ resonators.

I’m going to experiment!

Any ideas?

Any acoustics guys around?

Fletche

[ This Message was edited by: Fletche on 2003-10-11 20:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Fletche on 2003-10-11 20:15 ]
Fletche
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-12 23:14
OK, reporting back:

The efficient transmission of the audible energy from the P800 speaker to an external resonator – I’m having some serious difficulties with this. I can’t afford to destroy my P800 speaker (I only have 1) so I used :

A standard speaker (which I ripped the cone out of) to allow me to see the exaggerated effects. It works quite well, but it jumps every where and badly distorts the sound in the process.

A microphone ‘speaker’ to emulate a more macro transmitter – the transmission performance is awful.

How the hell do I effeciently transmit the energy to an external resonator?

What I have had some success with is using paper cones, with the existing speaker, as resonators, analysing the ‘modified’ frequency output with a spectrum analyser and than adjusting the sound output (emulating on my desktop PC). It can sound quite reasonable with @ a 9db improvement.

I’m managing to 5 fold the amplitude of the low end frequencies, I’ll post my spectrum analyser print outs if you’re interested!?

As for the software side for a P800, I haven’t really thought a lot. I think it's premature. But as much as the ARM9 may not be up to doing ongoing real time frequency analysis, I can not see any reason why it couldn’t do a 1 off simple incremental and complex frequency output (from the speaker) and analysis of these outputs (using the microphone) to modify the frequency distribution output of the speaker using a simple ‘graphic equaliser’.

Any thoughts?

Fletche
daftpunk
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-10-12 23:22
well all of this is beyond my understanding but I would like to say thanks for looking into this.
I too have been upset that the volume of mp3 and mp4 playback is so hampered by the speaker being on the back of the unit. i always cup my hand behind the phone when i am watching movies or listening to music.

my ideas:

mold some kind of plastic arc that could clip on to the back of the phone and be unobtrusive. something matching the curvature of the phone and as small as possible.

or maybe a way to relocate the speaker to a better place for hearing stuff like near the bottom where the flip attaches.

i dont know whats possible so for now i limp along

[ This Message was edited by: daftpunk on 2003-10-12 22:22 ]
nixin
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-12 23:23
i have discovered a simple re wiring to re link the main synthasiser with the main audio out allows you to have increased sound volume and by installing this .sis i programmed gives you a basic DSP which works really well with current p800 technology limitations.

www.terimanu.com/p800dsp

Also i discovered by reforging the plastics surrounding the speaker you can get a lot more solid sond response low frequancies and high frequancies are much more audiable.

However i found batterey drainage increase by 17%

need more details ask
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-12 23:30
Nice job man and i though im the only one that use the plastic cone my mother used to put oil with..And i cant undestand why people look at me like that when im listening music in the street i paint the cone blue to make a much with my phone...
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
Fletche
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-12 23:51
@daftpunk

Boss, I see there are 3 ways to ‘crack this egg’:

1. Use an external ‘device you attach’ – possibly the easiest way, this is a very, very old problem (size versus perform, as my girlfriend says) – ‘mold some kind of plastic arc that could clip on to the back of the phone and be unobtrusive. something matching the curvature of the phone and as small as possible’ - like your thinking!
2. Use a ‘transmitter’ to use the housing as the resonator.
3. Use a transmitter’ to use an external material e.g. desk top as the resonator.

Does anyone see any other ways?

The current ‘transmitter’ technology used by speaker manufacturers, I think needs to be rethought, how I have no idea how right now!

Thanks for your moral support!

Maybe another nights sleep, another approach!?

Fletche
Arfi-Gorgona
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 00:01
Well i really dont undertant what you want to do fletch but dont ruin your phone man.This is a phone remember not a home stereo
Zhto h Arfes-gorgones
Fletche
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-10-13 00:04
Arfi-Gorgona

Boss, this is not about hurting 'my baby'!

This is about a puzzle that I want to solve!

Fletche
nixin
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 00:09
have you shown interest in ym post?
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 00:09
Great detailed pictures of how to snap your flip.
Reminder; milk, sugar, crisps, post letter.
nixin
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 00:13
but its good sound
daftpunk
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-10-13 07:01
@Fletche

FU*K the naysayers I indeed would welcome some thought to "nixing" this problem.
everyone has a photographic memory...some just don't have film
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi