Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Don't you think things are developping to fast?

12  Next
Author Don't you think things are developping to fast?
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-06 07:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
HI, if you look back in the last 1000 years, you will notice that the first 700 years were pretty much the same, with some change, but not drastic ones. Now all of a sudden there has been a "boom" and we have cars, electricity, planes, mobiles, computers, ...

AND, everything's getting faster and even more developped. Most things you saw in a Science Fiction film 10 years ago is now on the market or even 'old news'. Surely this can't be good. For now: yes, but in the future....

Many of us don't even know what's going on, we just listen to what we have to buy or what we see and get it. I would like to hear your opinions on this

If you have nothing interesting to post, then don't post anything!

Eamonn
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-04-06 09:45
u seem very bored!!!
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-06 11:16
I know, I am
It's just that lately it's getting pretty boring here at Esato with all the same questions and answers again and again... don't you agree? So I thought of posting something else... anything really, doesn't have to be this.... just something interesting....
Eamonn
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-04-06 12:42
yep must agree with u on that 1
mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-06 20:57
i agree with you, that things aer going quickly... but if you look at sci fi films, youll see that it was thought that we'd be in space, talking to alien sby the year 2000....!
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-06 21:23
is a good thing that tings are developing so fast? wont it go to fast?
Lethal
T610
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-06 22:39
You are right, the past 100 years have been quite amazing.
The death of the Queen Mum here in the UK demonstrates what you're talking about.
When she was born, the Horse was the only means of transport, there were no planes, cars, computers, phones.

Through her lifetime, all those have been invented, at first as luxury items ... now almost essential for modern day life.

Evert
K600
PM
Posted: 2002-04-06 23:11
In 1877 the first telephone line was installed.
In 1896 the first car was built.

Thats quite different from today!
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-07 08:09
I know, it can't be good, surely... Imagine you fell asleep for 90 years starting in the year 1000 and you woke up in 1090, they'd be minor changes.... If that happened NOW you'd wake up and have a heart attack....

It must be weird for old people, don't you think? Sometimes I even feel 'old', when you look at sex on tv and stuff, when I was a kid you never saw it that much, but now you look at MTV and kids are all watching.... Most kids at the age of 5 know what sex is....
8 year olds have gsms.... Things are changing.....

I'm only 22, but I feel I'm the older generation already... do you guys have this too??? (please say yes )

lor
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-04-07 08:30
Well, I totally agree. Things are going way too fast here. You can go away for 3 months, and when you come back, you wouldn't recognize the technology out. That's what's happening today

The only way I can keep up with things is by watching techtv all day and buying computer and technology magazines like crazy and reading em all.

heh, already i'm not satisfied with what i have because although i have the latest piece of technology with me, there are much more modern stuff out there and i can't have it.

so that annoys me the most, heh

[ This Message was edited by: lor on 2002-04-07 08:33 ]
jhermano
P1
PM
Posted: 2002-04-07 10:11
What's funny is that all this technology is supposed to make our lives easier, and save time. But if you think about it, life just seems to be getting more difficult. I still remember when there was no cable TV and there was always something on the tube. Now you have a hundred channels with nothing to watch. I mean being connected all the time is great unless a client calls you up at an odd hour or just when you dont want to deal with them.

It's just weird how things were a lot slower then but there was more free time.
bjambean
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-04-07 10:21
I would have to disagree with this topic. I am of similar age to the poster (19) and don't think that technology is advancing too quickly.

I do look at kids and think wow I wish I had those toys at my age but then you have to realise that any advances in mankind's knowledge always filter down through the age groups so for our parents who never had computer games their parents never had something that they had, and took for granted.

In fact I would even go so far as to say technology "may seem" like it is advancing at a fast pace but the speed at which it filters down to the consumer market is extremely slow. I mean take cars and speed cameras if the LATEST technology was used in speed control don't you think that it would be virtually impossible to speed. It's only in the past 5-10 years they introduced a computerised system where tickets are automatically issued to the registered owner of the car. Then they introduced the cameras which take pictures of the driver and use a flash in the infra-red wavelength range as not to disturb the driver and it was only as recent as the past year where they introduced camera which calculated your speed in between the cameras so that you couldn't speed at all along the road. This was feasible many years ago but the technology takes a painful amount of time to filter through. (I am only using the speed cameras as an example)

I mean think about what you would like to do with your PERFECT handheld multimedia device. I would like to be able to do everything that I can do with a top of the range P4 laptop coupled with a cell phone and have a data connection faster than current broadband speeds all in the size of a credit card with extemely cheap line rental and call costs - imagine that! but technology is too slow!!!

I mean look at bluetooth - WOW! Amazing! No not really just common bloody sense. Think about the old really annoying remote controls that worked with sound... remember them? Well thats a method of tranfering data via sound but they were useless. Now change the frequency they work on, preferably to a wavelength that penetrates most materials and is unaudible then use a transmiter that emits the signal in all directions as opposed to line of sight (like the old controls). And WOW that brings us a whole 20-30 years further in technology from crappy remote controls to 'state of the art bluetooth'! and bluetooth is extremely slow by todays standards! I read that it transmits at 1Mbit per second (now if that is wrong could someone please correct me and ignore the next part) now considering that bluetooth is not only for phones but also PC networks what use is 1Mbit/s?? When the age old network cards that you get at computer fairs in the 'sold as seen' box for £1 can do 10Mbit/s through a dusty piece of copper! Again just using bluetooth as an example - I think its a good idea but should have come out before mobile phones became popular.

pinolo77
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2002-04-07 10:31
It seems that today enterprises are occupied in creating new tech,but none tries to use it.Things change so fast that we only use 1% of the applications of a product and them we have to learn how to use another one.Just think about all the promises that where made with gprs...And now it's already 3G,and in Japan they are testing 4G.What if the products lasted a little longer making our investments worth it?

This post was posted from a T68

Linkinpark17UK
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-04-07 11:02
I think tech is advancing really quickly in some areas, look at computers, you could by the latest PC or laptop and next year it becomes bargin basement crap if you haven't upgraded it.

But other areas could go a lot faster such as medical technology, imagine how many lives could benefit or be saved in we had fully working gene therapy.
Ninja
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-04-08 12:11
another thing developing to fast is the "urban sprawl". The area i live in had lot's of open space five years ago...recently more and more houses new subdivisions, homes for the elderly, townhouses...there is hardly any land left anymore

[ This Message was edited by: Ninja on 2002-04-08 12:12 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi